Photo

Monitors - is 1440p worth the extra over 1080p?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 September 2013 - 13:03

This sounds great, thanks... so I can use 1440p on my desktop, and 720p gaming without any problems at all?

This looks perfect, but unforutnately I'm in the UK - even the cheapest 1440p monitors are around double the price of this one :(

you're thinking too much like a television instead of a monitor. you dont have to do 720p gaming. this is a tv-like standard.

the industry has done a good job of confusing people about standards relating them to only 720p or 1080p.

just play your games at whatever resolution your card can handle.

#47 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 13 September 2013 - 14:51

you're thinking too much like a television instead of a monitor. you dont have to do 720p gaming. this is a tv-like standard.

the industry has done a good job of confusing people about standards relating them to only 720p or 1080p.

just play your games at whatever resolution your card can handle.

Talking about interpolation here.  If you have to use a resolution that's smaller than your monitor's native res, then its better to use one that's a fraction of the native res.

#48 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 September 2013 - 19:30

I know the effect you describe, where the colors go all purple and inverted and such when you view the LCD at an angle. I've been using LCD screens on laptops since they only came in black and white, and they were a huge sufferer of that effect, I didn't realise it was the limitations of TN, and that IPS fixed it.  But that effect does not happen on this monitor.

I used this image as a color sample:

http://stampprincess...sample-ring.jpg

I used both my Motorola Atrix MB860 phone (LCD, not OLED), and my BenQ V2200 LCD screen.  The only difference was that on the BenQ, everything got a little darker when viewed at an angle, while on the Atrix phone, everything remained pretty much the same brightness.  The colors did not change whatsoever.  And I think the reason it was a little darker at an angle on the BenQ, was because the BenQ uses a matte screen, while the Atrix uses glossy, like you mentioned.

Now that I think about it, I vaguely recall reading a review of this monitor, before I bought it, that mentioned how it was a very good implementation of the lesser, cheaper LCD technologies, that did not appear to have the limitations of that type, I think they were talking about TN, but I can't really remember...

there happened to be a thread on reddit on this exact topic, and apparently the tint is only evident from one of the edges. I haven't used a TN monitor in years but I had thought that I saw it from the top edge rather than the bottom that the thread says. They're probably right though.

#49 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 13 September 2013 - 19:42

there happened to be a thread on reddit on this exact topic, and apparently the tint is only evident from one of the edges. I haven't used a TN monitor in years but I had thought that I saw it from the top edge rather than the bottom that the thread says. They're probably right though.

Okay, yup, you're right.  I originally only tried the left edge.  This time I tried all four edges, and if I view the monitor from the bottom edge at a sharp angle, the colors do indeed get all inverted and fubarred.  

But it took a forum member researching another thread on another website to inform me that if I crawl underneath my monitor on my hands and knees and look up at it at a very sharp angle, the colors get messed up.  I would have never noticed it otherwise.   In the 5 years I've owned it and used it for hours a day every day, I've never noticed it. 

I mean sure, if your choice is a $100 TN monitor, or a $120 I.P.Freely monitor, then go for the IPFreely.  But if you can't afford the extra $20, your monitor won't be "next to worthless" as you said, just because it is a TN monitor.  Unless you're trying to sell it to snobby Neowin forum members.  Then it would be next to worthless. :p

#50 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 September 2013 - 19:44

This sounds great, thanks... so I can use 1440p on my desktop, and 720p gaming without any problems at all?

The only annoyances you would get would be related to alt-tabbing since changing resolutions takes a while but if the game supports 1280x720 you shouldn't have any other problem.

#51 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 13 September 2013 - 19:45

The only annoyances you would get would be related to alt-tabbing since changing resolutions takes a while but if the game supports 1280x720 you shouldn't have any other problem.

Yeah, its true, theres this one game I play that doesn't support my monitor's native res, and alt-tabbing into and out of it takes like 5 seconds.  I'm not sure if that's so much a monitor limitation, as it is a DirectX limitation though.

#52 DETERMINOLOGY

DETERMINOLOGY

Neowinian

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:49

moeburn ppi/resolution makes a heck of a difference..

For 23" 1080

and 27" 1440p

People bend the rules on this all the time getting a 27" 1080p monitor or 32-40" 1080 hdtv and they look horrible due to ppi and resolution. For 32" i recommend getting a 3840x2160=ULTRA HD=4k once the prices drop way down which would be WAY better then getting a 32" 1080p. I game alot so i see the difference 

#53 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:55

Same here. How big and what resolution is your current one?

21" 1440x900 Westinghouse. Cost me $135 back in 2006, with DVI and VGA inputs.

#54 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:36

I'd highly recommend you get a monitor with a DisplayPort input.  It means the monitor has its own digital clock controller built-in, which means you can use it as a third display on graphics cards that could otherwise only do 2 displays (or you could use it as a 5th display on cards that can only do 4).  

I have a Radeon HD 5770 that was marketed as supporting "Eyefinity 3-display desktop gaming".  It only has 2 clock controllers in it, which means that it can only power 3 displays if one of the displays is plugged into the DisplayPort.