Monitors - is 1440p worth the extra over 1080p?

The only annoyances you would get would be related to alt-tabbing since changing resolutions takes a while but if the game supports 1280x720 you shouldn't have any other problem.

Yeah, its true, theres this one game I play that doesn't support my monitor's native res, and alt-tabbing into and out of it takes like 5 seconds.  I'm not sure if that's so much a monitor limitation, as it is a DirectX limitation though.

moeburn ppi/resolution makes a heck of a difference..

For 23" 1080

and 27" 1440p

People bend the rules on this all the time getting a 27" 1080p monitor or 32-40" 1080 hdtv and they look horrible due to ppi and resolution. For 32" i recommend getting a 3840x2160=ULTRA HD=4k once the prices drop way down which would be WAY better then getting a 32" 1080p. I game alot so i see the difference 

I'd highly recommend you get a monitor with a DisplayPort input.  It means the monitor has its own digital clock controller built-in, which means you can use it as a third display on graphics cards that could otherwise only do 2 displays (or you could use it as a 5th display on cards that can only do 4).  

I have a Radeon HD 5770 that was marketed as supporting "Eyefinity 3-display desktop gaming".  It only has 2 clock controllers in it, which means that it can only power 3 displays if one of the displays is plugged into the DisplayPort.