49 posts in this topic

Posted

Meet the McMillans. They're like a lot of families -- young, unmarried, with two kids, a boy and a girl -- with one notable exception: They live every day like it's 1986. Not in some vague, listen-to-The Bangles-and-wear-some-Spandex kind of way, but in a manner that is deliberate and drastic and all-encompassing. The McMillans, at home, have given up all technology that was introduced to the world after 1986.

Yes. Which means: phones, but no iPhones. Videos, but no DVDs. Video games, but no Xboxes. Photos, but no Instagrams. TV, but no cable. For a year that started in April, the Toronto Sun reports in a profile of the '80s-tastic Canadians, the McMillans have been doing their banking in person. They've been entertaining themselves with books. They took a family road trip this summer, and navigated using paper maps -- and kept the kids entertained with coloring books and stickers.

And their excellent adventure doesn't end with technology alone. Blair McMillan, family patriarch, has doubled down on his Back to the Future lifestyle: For one very major thing, he wears a mullet. ("Business in front, party in the back,

Posted

If their vehicle is newer than an '86, it is a publicity stunt.

3 people like this

Posted

Atari Jaguar came out in 1993 so they won't be able to experience true gaming with 64 bits :no:

Posted

he asked his 5-year-old son Trey to join him. Trey refused. He was too busy with his iPad.

What the heck is a 5-year-old boy doing with his own iPad?

3 people like this

Posted

Everytime I see somebody say "I wish it was the 80's" or something I always reply. 

"If you want it to be like the 80's, lose the

4 people like this

Posted

What the heck is a 5-year-old boy doing with his own iPad?

Not exactly uncommon. My ex's little brother had one. Technically it was his parents but the only person who played it was him because he hogged it and they had a second newer model. He would throw fits if he wasn't allowed to bring it into restaurants because "he got bored." Then they would just give him one of their iPhones and let him play with that instead. ###### me off all the time because the kid had no manners, lied constantly, and always got his way anyway. Of course, not my kid so I couldn't do/say anything though my ex knew I didn't like it. She yelled at me more than once saying there was nothing wrong with spoiling a child like that.

Posted

I see the point at what they are doing, but I can see it having problems as the kids get older and move out into a world filled with modern technology. Unless they stay in the 80's as well, they will have quite a jump into modern world at school, college, or at work.

Ideally a family can live in today's tech world and just limit the time and exposure kids have on gadgets, not shunning it all together.

Posted

That's an illogical reaction to your kid being too busy with his iPad (that he shouldn't have imo). "That's it Honey, we're going back to the 80's!"

1 person likes this

Posted

I admire this effort.

Posted

Well, for one thing, an '86 car will be a lot easier to maintain, so long as parts are available

Posted

Well, for one thing, an '86 car will be a lot easier to maintain, so long as parts are available

That's why I think this is a stunt.

If technology ruling their lives was an issue, then limit exposure, don't revert to irrelevant stages in the past which could very easily harm your children's learning about the real world and adopting to society.

A DVD player isn't going to rule your life vs. rabbit ears and a TV.  It is the same disruption either way.

Posted

That's an illogical reaction to your kid being too busy with his iPad (that he shouldn't have imo). "That's it Honey, we're going back to the 80's!"

Heh, yeah.

If my daughter did that, you can be damn sure it wouldn't happen again, or she would be a miserable little girl.

Sounds like the parents haven't figured out parenting yet.

(Hint: it doesn't require going retro with technology)

Or, its a publicity stunt, which is far more likely.

1 person likes this

Posted

buhh

I WENT TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE 

2080 PERHAPS  

i went a world drowning  in technology :p

3 people like this

Posted

just think of all the money saved with no cable bill, no cell phone bill!!

Posted

I hope they set up a dial up BBS so I can play door games with them.

Posted

I shun humans past 1986.

2 people like this

Posted

I shun music past 1986 :p

2 people like this

Posted

I shun humans past 1986.

Aside from my Wife who was born in 1986, I agree. Although it could very well be 'Get off my lawn' syndrome; I'm open to it.

Posted

Sounds like the parents haven't figured out parenting yet.

(Hint: it doesn't require going retro with technology)

I agree. You don't have to go to this extreme to limit technology in children (and adults) and draw the family closer together.

1 person likes this

Posted

Every generation says this.

Right now, it's video games and gadgets that are cheating kids out of childhood. Before that, it was rock and roll music. Before that, it was pinball machines. Before that, it was kids who sat inside to read instead of playing outside. It's nothing new, and I'm sure we'll be complaining that our kids don't have childhood anymore.

4 people like this

Posted

Every generation says this.

Right now, it's video games and gadgets that are cheating kids out of childhood. Before that, it was rock and roll music. Before that, it was pinball machines. Before that, it was kids who sat inside to read instead of playing outside. It's nothing new, and I'm sure we'll be complaining that our kids don't have childhood anymore.

soooo true

Posted

Reading something from Yahoo.com made me feel like I was in 1997 again.

2 people like this

Posted

Are they also shunning post 1986 medical care?

2 people like this

Posted

Bogus... This is no different than someone not watching TV for a year on a bet (although more drastic/stupid). I thought this was like some weird quasi-religious paranoid luddite thing. That would have been interesting.

BTW, 1986 would've sucked without cable. They're even living in a 1986 that is worse than the original 1986. It's disgusting... :)

Posted

I propose a 'Neowin parties like it's 1999' month. Dig out your Pentium II-based PC running Win98 or iMac G3 running MacOS 8.5, your 56k modem and rock on! :p