Family Shuns Technologies, post 1986

just think of all the money saved with no cable bill, no cell phone bill!!

Yeah, and when you retire you'll have an extra $100,000-125,000 after 40 years. Then you'll spend the last 25 years of your life watching cable in a barcalounger and keeping a cell phone on you incase you fall and can't get up.

Work the tech, don't let it work you.

Well, for one thing, an '86 car will be a lot easier to maintain, so long as parts are available

Except a 2010 car won't need much maintenance, while a 86 car will need constant maintenance of various parts 

Every generation says this.

Right now, it's video games and gadgets that are cheating kids out of childhood. Before that, it was rock and roll music. Before that, it was pinball machines. Before that, it was kids who sat inside to read instead of playing outside. It's nothing new, and I'm sure we'll be complaining that our kids don't have childhood anymore.

Not quite the same though. In the 80's and most of the 90's at least kids where outside playing. heck we had Nintendo's but we still spent most of the time outside.

kids today they're never outside, when they are outside, they're "hanging" outside a gas station or fast food joint, and have usually hit a bit into the teens. 

I don't think this family has the solution, but maybe part of it. the real solution is of course boundaries, and not letting your kids play with pads and such at such a young age, and when they do get old enough, there's only 1-2 hours a day for video gaming. 

I see plenty of kids playing outside. I certainly agree very young kids don't need many gadgets, but there are also far worse things they could be engaging in.

I was 4 in 1986 - I'd never wanna go back to THAT year.

I propose a 'Neowin parties like it's 1999' month. Dig out your Pentium II-based PC running Win98 or iMac G3 running MacOS 8.5, your 56k modem and rock on! :p

*stare at his membership circa 2008*

wait! and that mean no more me? oh no! :cries:

The world IS drowning in technology! 

not until  you connect you brain to the internet directly and become trancanded being!  ,  can't have enough technology :p  XD

*view Ultra high defination norp directly in your mind *  *gulp*

*stare at his membership circa 2008*

wait! and that mean no more me? oh no! :cries:

Neowin itself didn't exist in 1999. Feel free to downgrade for a month as well despite your late join date. 

Netscape 4.80 on Win98 FE, boo-ya.

Right now, it's video games and gadgets that are cheating kids out of childhood. Before that, it was rock and roll music. Before that, it was pinball machines. Before that, it was kids who sat inside to read instead of playing outside. It's nothing new, and I'm sure we'll be complaining that our kids don't have childhood anymore.

Say what?

That' such a line of crock, I can't believe you said that. Rock & roll, pinball games, or setting inside to read (which at least is some what educational and more kids need to do now a days as most of them can't read/write past a 3rd grade level) NEVER hindered my child hood.

As one previous poster already said, I lived outside also, playing with friends!

buhh

I WENT TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE 

2080 PERHAPS  

i went a world drowning  in technology :p

See what I mean?

Either this person is not English, in which case this response is not relevant, or their English absolutely sucks!!

I'm sure that is supposed to say, "I WANT to live in the future" and "I WANT a world drowning in technology"

Nothing personal, Ci7 :)

Others may see this in light of present circumstances. That is, some argue that economically, we're back in the 1970s, with high food and oil prices, unemployment, and social unrest worldwide.

See what I mean?

Either this person is not English, in which case this response is not relevant, or their English absolutely sucks!!

I'm sure that is supposed to say, "I WANT to live in the future" and "I WANT a world drowning in technology"

Nothing personal, Ci7 :)

it is my second language. :)

and i was sleepy when i wrote that post {at least you get the massage that i wented to convoy}

They're probably a much happier family now.  Sure there's no Facebook or Google+ or whatever, but I think their relationship with their kids will be much healthier.

Reading a book vs Playing video games, something tells me the book readers turned out smarter.

Except a 2010 car won't need much maintenance, while a 86 car will need constant maintenance of various parts 

True, but the '86 cars also had less tech so the parts needed didn't dictate the car had to be connected to a diagnostic machine for half a day while the fitter (I couldn't even call them mechanics at main dealers now) sits there, costing you, only the to find out it's the actual sensor at fault, not a part in the engine/abs or some other (reason for failure)

(Man I miss my mk3 Scorpio<although technically it was an '89>)

Watched the video - one thing that got me was they were using a Rotary phone.  In '86 they had touchtone phones and even cordless phones (albeit a bit large at the time with a huge telescoping antenna).  I wonder if they chose the rotary to make it even more 'back to the basics' as they would probably see it.  Probably drives the phone company insane when they see the stats on rotary phones still on their networks. 

I was born in 1974, grew up in that decade and the 80's.  I have very fond memories of the mid 80's and would love to bring SOME of the things back but not everything.  The mere sight of the neon that made a comback this year was one of those things I would not have cared to see again.   In the mid 80's as well, they had your 8-bit computers being led by Commodore, Atari, Tandy, IBM, Apple and Timex Sinclaire leading the way.  To have some of that old tech now would be pretty fun.  I cut my computer teeth on the Atari 8-bit and grew up with it.  I know most everyone else my age was into the Commodore and did the same.  :)