• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:16

Every generation says this.

Right now, it's video games and gadgets that are cheating kids out of childhood. Before that, it was rock and roll music. Before that, it was pinball machines. Before that, it was kids who sat inside to read instead of playing outside. It's nothing new, and I'm sure we'll be complaining that our kids don't have childhood anymore.

Reading a book vs Playing video games, something tells me the book readers turned out smarter.

#47 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,711 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:23

Except a 2010 car won't need much maintenance, while a 86 car will need constant maintenance of various parts 

True, but the '86 cars also had less tech so the parts needed didn't dictate the car had to be connected to a diagnostic machine for half a day while the fitter (I couldn't even call them mechanics at main dealers now) sits there, costing you, only the to find out it's the actual sensor at fault, not a part in the engine/abs or some other (reason for failure)

(Man I miss my mk3 Scorpio<although technically it was an '89>)

#48 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,417 posts
  • Phone: HTC One M7 - Blue

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:45

Watched the video - one thing that got me was they were using a Rotary phone.  In '86 they had touchtone phones and even cordless phones (albeit a bit large at the time with a huge telescoping antenna).  I wonder if they chose the rotary to make it even more 'back to the basics' as they would probably see it.  Probably drives the phone company insane when they see the stats on rotary phones still on their networks. 

I was born in 1974, grew up in that decade and the 80's.  I have very fond memories of the mid 80's and would love to bring SOME of the things back but not everything.  The mere sight of the neon that made a comback this year was one of those things I would not have cared to see again.   In the mid 80's as well, they had your 8-bit computers being led by Commodore, Atari, Tandy, IBM, Apple and Timex Sinclaire leading the way.  To have some of that old tech now would be pretty fun.  I cut my computer teeth on the Atari 8-bit and grew up with it.  I know most everyone else my age was into the Commodore and did the same.  :)

#49 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• 8,221 posts
  • Phone: iphone 5S

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:34

Or drowning in LARGE squares and rectangles.

ROFL