iPhone 5s or Note 3?

I can't remember the silly argument between google/ms at the moment.  Is google dropping eas support for ms accounts on android phones, is ms dropping google eas support on wp8, is google dropping eas support for google accounts on wp8?

It's something about not been able to use Gmail accounts on Windows Phone after a certain date i think. Microsoft is generally quite friendly towards Android and iOS. Google are just been [insert choice word here] towards Windows Phone users as of late. Sure ive hard things about YouTube, Google Maps and Gmail problems on Windows Phone.

This is why I haven't got the One yet, not sure when HTC will stop its support.

I don't understand this. Probably around the same time everyone else stops their support? And if they do stop their support, unlock the phone and update it yourself. Just about all OEMs give you about a year to two years of updates and that's about it. The S3 and One X are both on 4.2.2 right now officially with 4.3 supposedly coming for both. Neither will likely receive 4.4. How is HTC doing any worse than Samsung is, as an example? I ask this honestly because I root and flash my phones the day I get them usually. I never rely on the company to update, though we do rely on their updates to keep updated code coming at times.

I've already had my One for months now, and I'll probably get rid of it long before they give up support. If you looking for support and updates 2 or 3 or 4 years down the line, go iPhone. If you can handle updating it yourself or plan on upgrading every year or two, then HTC seems as good as Samsung seems as good as any other Android OEM to me.

Get a phone that works and build on that.  Don't reverse the phone into something that is nearly unusable in its out of box form is all I ask.  Yes the jellybean keyboard is far more accurate than swipe or the stock s4 keyboard and the autocorrect on the jellybean keyboard is also far superior, to the point it may even beat the apple keyboard...but samsung wiped that out and put in their crappy one.  This is where apple differed, apple builds the os and no one changes it from the way they envisioned it (everyone has their opinions on this, I don't care one way or the other about how the interface looks or what I can change it to...it is just a skin after all).  Android is what microsoft is to the pc market, everyone throws in their own stuff onto their OS making it a horrible experience for the end user in many cases.

Ask yourself this:  Do you not mind having a gigantic phone that you can't comfortably fit in your pocket?

I'm sure the phone itself works well, but the shear size of the thing is the biggest reason I personally would never want that phone.

What phone are you referring to? We're talking about the Note 3  :shifty:

Get a phone that works and build on that.  Don't reverse the phone into something that is nearly unusable in its out of box form is all I ask.  Yes the jellybean keyboard is far more accurate than swipe or the stock s4 keyboard and the autocorrect on the jellybean keyboard is also far superior, to the point it may even beat the apple keyboard...but samsung wiped that out and put in their crappy one.  This is where apple differed, apple builds the os and no one changes it from the way they envisioned it.  Android is what microsoft is to the pc market, everyone throws in their own stuff onto their OS making it a horrible experience for the end user.  

But that's exactly the point I was trying to make. For one, again, your first mistake is buying Samsung. If you don't like what they include, show it by not buying their product. Just because they run a lot of commercials and have brainwashed the general public, doesn't mean they really are the best Android phone. Secondly, Android is designed so that you can go download whatever you want to customize how you like. The argument that it has to be absolutely perfect out of the box simply isn't valid. Clicking the play store icon and searching for "keyboard" is hardly a horrible experience for the end user, it's called allowing the user to have options and not force them into what one company decides is best.

But that's exactly the point I was trying to make. For one, again, your first mistake is buying Samsung. If you don't like what they include, show it by not buying their product. Just because they run a lot of commercials and have brainwashed the general public, doesn't mean they really are the best Android phone. Secondly, Android is designed so that you can go download whatever you want to customize how you like. The argument that it has to be absolutely perfect out of the box simply isn't valid. Clicking the play store icon and searching for "keyboard" is hardly a horrible experience for the end user, it's called allowing the user to have options and not force them into what one company decides is best.

Right, and being able to use it to type into the playstore would be useful wouldn't it?  It is a basic function of any smart phone, it should work.  It is like you breathing, it is a basic function to sustain life and not having someone put a defib on you.

While that's amusing with as bad as some OEM keyboards I've seen in the past are, I think you could at the very least manage to get far enough to download a different one.

Those Note 2 and 3 will fit in the pockets these days...

If not, you will get better jeans (or slacks if you go to work.)  

Most pants have big pockets these days.

Not believe us, you try it for yourself.

It does include something that works, swype, just the out of the box experience is not quite there.  My mini review was direct out of the box, not what can be done with it after you have some time to figure out what is out there...and there is a lot out there.

personally, I'd say don't limit yourself, you have 3, potentially 4 options of smartphone OS still available to you.

As an Android user, I've found myself recently being drawn towards WP, IOS os ok, like a lot of users have said, the infrastructure is not too difficult to master, I hate it, but that's my personal opinion, and that of my wife who has an iPhone BUT do not let that sway you.

Android has some advantages, but most apps in the play store to increase volume on android 4.+ don't work, and some demand 5 star ratings before you can even use them, opnly to find they're crap.

The Volume is an issue, I find my SGS3 a little too quiet for my taste (And a friend here with the Note 2 has the same issue). But the hardware is pretty much future proof for at least the lifetime of the contract, The customisability of the device is a HUGE plus in my book.

WP I don't know much, if anything about, the Lumia 1020 will be my very first WP device (the 800 and 900 failed to impress me and I was a die hard Nokia Fanboy up until then)

IOS is a tried and trusted system, mostly it is liked.

BB not too sure about their future, but their devices aren't bad. My wife had the 9000 (I think) she liked it until an update slowed it to the point of unusable, so there are bad sides, but then, there are bad sides to all of them.

If you are only interested in the 2 devices you've mentioned, then firstly I would suggest going to the store of your carrier, and having a play with both, if you explain you're interested in both, but the decision will only be made after you've had a chance to test them, they should let you play with them for a while.

Also check your return clause in your contract, mine (I think) was a 14 day returnable, so you could decide to try one, live with it for a week, and then try the other if you absolutely hate it, but then you are stuck with the other device.

It does include something that works, swype, just the out of the box experience is not quite there.  My mini review was direct out of the box, not what can be done with it after you have some time to figure out what is out there...and there is a lot out there.

I agree, android OOB is frustating:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1167407-android-conundrums/

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1168049-samsung-firmware-changelogs/

personally, I'd say don't limit yourself, you have 3, potentially 4 options of smartphone OS still available to you.

As an Android user, I've found myself recently being drawn towards WP, IOS os ok, like a lot of users have said, the infrastructure is not too difficult to master, I hate it, but that's my personal opinion, and that of my wife who has an iPhone BUT do not let that sway you.

Android has some advantages, but most apps in the play store to increase volume on android 4.+ don't work, and some demand 5 star ratings before you can even use them, opnly to find they're crap.

The Volume is an issue, I find my SGS3 a little too quiet for my taste (And a friend here with the Note 2 has the same issue). But the hardware is pretty much future proof for at least the lifetime of the contract, The customisability of the device is a HUGE plus in my book.

WP I don't know much, if anything about, the Lumia 1020 will be my very first WP device (the 800 and 900 failed to impress me and I was a die hard Nokia Fanboy up until then)

IOS is a tried and trusted system, mostly it is liked.

BB not too sure about their future, but their devices aren't bad. My wife had the 9000 (I think) she liked it until an update slowed it to the point of unusable, so there are bad sides, but then, there are bad sides to all of them.

If you are only interested in the 2 devices you've mentioned, then firstly I would suggest going to the store of your carrier, and having a play with both, if you explain you're interested in both, but the decision will only be made after you've had a chance to test them, they should let you play with them for a while.

Also check your return clause in your contract, mine (I think) was a 14 day returnable, so you could decide to try one, live with it for a week, and then try the other if you absolutely hate it, but then you are stuck with the other device.

Music volume or ear piece volume?

Music volume or ear piece volume?

Both, international (UK and EU Versions) of the SGS3 SGS4 and Note 2, that I know of, have the volume default lowered than the US models. Why I have no idea.

It's possible to restore the volume for both the speaker and the headphones if you're an expert, which I'm not, got frustrated, gave up.

liquidguru came to my aid, and from the links he provided, I found a method to flash, and restore my phone to stock rom, before I smashed it to pieces

What phone are you referring to? We're talking about the Note 3  :shifty:

Yup the one with 3.1" x 6" dimensions?

I pulled a package of pens out of the closet that had roughly those dimensions and put it in my front pocket, and yeah it was horribly uncomfortable.  I'd be scared that the phone would warp or break when I sit down.

I pulled a package of pens out of the closet that had roughly those dimensions and put it in my front pocket, and yeah it was horribly uncomfortable.  I'd be scared that the phone would warp or break when I sit down.

I have Note 2 ... I put it in my front pocket all the time... no problems so far.  And probably looking forward to get Note 3 in a few weeks.

I can fit my GS4 in my pocket with ease, plenty of room. The Note 3 isn't that much bigger. I can fit my Nexus 7 into my pocket, but thats when it gets uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

I think it would have enough girth to not bend ;)... not sure though.  I know there were some iPhone 5 warping issues some folks had (probably with skinny jeans). 

Both, international (UK and EU Versions) of the SGS3 SGS4 and Note 2, that I know of, have the volume default lowered than the US models. Why I have no idea.

It's possible to restore the volume for both the speaker and the headphones if you're an expert, which I'm not, got frustrated, gave up.

liquidguru came to my aid, and from the links he provided, I found a method to flash, and restore my phone to stock rom, before I smashed it to pieces

3.5mm jack, depends a lot on the app used, was my point.

• Like 1

Yeah, I find that overly exaggerated. I personally find those phones big, but they definitely fit in pockets without any problems. I can even fit a Nexus 7 2012/2013 in my pocket, but that starts to get uncomfortable. The Note 3 is narrower, thinner and 0.1 mm taller than the Note 2, so I would definitely be comfortable putting a device of that size in my pocket. Most people put these phones in cases, so I doubt it'll be a problem. 

Yeah, I find that overly exaggerated. I personally find those phones big, but they definitely fit in pockets without any problems. I can even fit a Nexus 7 2012/2013 in my pocket, but that starts to get uncomfortable. The Note 3 is narrower, thinner and 0.1 mm taller than the Note 2, so I would definitely be comfortable putting a device of that size in my pocket. Most people put these phones in cases, so I doubt it'll be a problem. 

The only problem I've run into is texting. My fingers have a hard time getting from place to place as quick as I would like on that big screen.

The only problem I've run into is texting. My fingers have a hard time getting from place to place as quick as I would like on that big screen.

Hmm, I guess that depends on the size of your hands and how you hold your phone. I can personally hold my HTC One in one hand and text perfectly fine (when it's in portrait mode). I see most people use two hands when they're texting/typing on any modern smartphone. I do a lot of texting/emails on my phone, so for short emails/txt's, I use one hand. For longer emails/txt's, I use both hands - just a lot easier. I also use the stock HTC keyboard - which allows for Swype (Swiftkey Flow) like typing.

Also, I hold my phone in my fingers area in one hand. The phone never reaches the palm area - so really I just type with my one thumb (predictive text is excellent). 

I switched from an iPhone to a phablet, the LG Optimus G Pro, and couldn't be happier. It's FAST, the major apps I use were there (or equivalents), the keyboard can be moved for 1-hand operation, speech recognition is quite good, and the battery is interchangeable & lasts far longer. Hell, one outfit makes a 9300 mAh high capacity battery. Perfect for hunting & outdoors.

I switched from an iPhone to a phablet, the LG Optimus G Pro, and couldn't be happier. It's FAST, the major apps I use were there (or equivalents), the keyboard can be moved for 1-hand operation, speech recognition is quite good, and the battery is interchangeable & lasts far longer. Hell, one outfit makes a 9300 mAh high capacity battery. Perfect for hunting & outdoors.

Is it bullet proof?  I would think you would have one that is.  :)