Remove the Start button in Windows 8.1 with StartIsGone

Nice app, thanks. Don't see the point of a start button when there's a Windows key on the majority of keyboards, I understand why they put it back, but it should have been an option.

• Like 2

For those wondering what's the point of this, especially after so many calls to bring the Start button back, it's for when

you're using a 3rd party add-on like Classic Shell, that brings back the full traditional Start menu, the new Start button

is redundant, as it appears underneath the 3rd party Start button, and can be clicked on accidentally.

I will probably use this when 8.1 is officially released as I agree the button is useless, not sure why they put it back, it wasn't the start button people wanted back it was the old manu they wanted.

So, here's a thought, and forgive me if this too far out or crazy,

But what if the people asking for the start button back, and the people asking for the start button to be gone, are DIFFERENT PEOPLE?

*GASP!*

It's almost as though there's a diverse group of people in the world with different likes and preferences. 

But no, no that's just TOO crazy........

I am doing a major face palm at this. People want the start button back and demand start button software programs. Now Microsoft puts a start button back in Windows 8 and now people want to gone and software to remove?

Because people didn't want the "button" back so much as the "menu."  Microsoft put the button back, but it still just redirects you to the start screen, which apparently most people can't seem to adapt to, so putting the button back was pretty much pointless.

• Like 2

**** me, what's wrong with everyone?

* Some people wanted the start button back, not all

* Some people wanted the start menu back, not all

* Some people want the new start menu gone, not all

This guy has given people an app - for those who want it.

/ End of thread.  Really...

Well said. (Y) Be a bit more grateful folks, the OP has provided an utility some may find useful, and if you don't, there are plenty other threads to take up this debate on instead of this one.

• Like 3

Because people didn't want the "button" back so much as the "menu."  Microsoft put the button back, but it still just redirects you to the start screen, which apparently most people can't seem to adapt to, so putting the button back was pretty much pointless.

I would say that with Start button in 8.1 most people doesn't feel so handicapped like in 8.0 with Start tooltip - the key element of UI of past OS versions, the most recognizable element is back. But this is also just a rotten compromise from Microsoft...

I lol'd.

Maybe instead, you should make sure that developers who post their work on your site isn't met with such hostility and stupid arguments ?

Honestly, this thread is a pretty bad example of how people are met when coming here showing of their work that many would find useful.

• Like 3

I have no desire to argue with anyone.

I just provided the choice for everyone who need it.

Thank YOU for providing this option.

I have not tried it yet, still waiting for 8.1 to roll out officially.

A question, when we run the app and set it to run at startup, will it be possible to remove the icon from the notification area? ... I just don't like apps showing up there, if we click the original downloaded file we can have it pop up again?

Thank you for this utility, Sergey "hb860"! I'll probably leave the Start button there, personally, but as I find it to be an ugly, unneeded UI element, I'm glad to know I have this option available to me if I decide I'd like to remove it :)

Maybe instead, you should make sure that developers who post their work on your site isn't met with such hostility and stupid arguments ?

Honestly, this thread is a pretty bad example of how people are met when coming here showing of their work that many would find useful.

People are passionate about the subject. I was merely lol'ing because of the repeated coverage of articles we did on adding back the button and now we have this. Our support is obvious by the coverage on the front page just now.

Sergey is a hero to some, and I applaud that :)

• Like 1

^^Thank you guys!

A question, when we run the app and set it to run at startup, will it be possible to remove the icon from the notification area? ... I just don't like apps showing up there, if we click the original downloaded file we can have it pop up again?

I will implement this behavior.
  • Like 3

lmao, now when we see a windows with start button, it could be a win8 with StartIsBack(or ClassicShell, or whatever),

when we see a windows without start button, it could be win8.1 with StartIsGone. :laugh:

It's a good job, hb860 and Tihiy!! :) 

• Like 1

Always good to have options for those who want it. Nice job, Sergey -- can't say I'll use it, but I may give it a shot to see if I prefer it (I just press the Windows key anyway).

• Like 1

Excellent, will be installing this when I install 8.1. I have a few programs pinned to my taskbar and don't want to lose the real estate to a useless start button I wont click. I have a start button on my keyboard and built into my screen (Helix), and haven't missed the taskbar button even on desktops for a second.

^^Thank you guys!

I will implement this behavior.

Guys, as I promise, here is an update.

StartIsGone v2.0

Added multiple monitors support :)

Added tray context menu option to hide the tray icon.

GS7e883.png

Download link is the same: click

• Like 3