Steam Is 10 Today. Remember When It Sucked?

Does it count if your current Steam account was after 05 but you have an account that was made before 05? My very first Steam account was created on July 22nd, 2004, but being a kid (had just turned 16 at the time) I ended up cheating and getting VAC banned on that account. My current account has way more games and I have not cheated at all, but it's only 5 years old (6 years at the end of this month).

Wish I could get the join date of my old account on my new one, or remove all the games (and VAC ban) off my old account and transfer the games from my current account to my old one.

Something similar happened to me. I opened my first account in 2003 but I got it banned in 2005. I brought a Half-Life 2 key from a shady seller on eBay and because it was a pirated key my account was closed down a couple of days after trying to register. I learned the lesson however and my new account has now been running since then.

Something similar happened to me. I opened my first account in 2003 but I got it banned in 2005. I brought a Half-Life 2 key from a shady seller on eBay and because it was a pirated key my account was closed down a couple of days after trying to register. I learned the lesson however and my new account has now been running since then.

Done enough hacking on this account and not got banned yeooo

Member since 21 June 2004

I had an account previous to the one I have used since 2004.

I didn't really have any issues with Steam other than the long, long wait to redeem HL2 from my ATi GFX card coupon but I didn't even know mine was eligible for a long time either as the packaging was absent from advertising (First batch of Sapphire reference model ATi cards into the UK).

I also had Telewest Cable broadband from the UK launch date so patching didn't affect me too badly either (plus I played HL Deathmatch rather than Counter Strike).

My friends at the time on dial-up had some quite choice words for it though :D

Basically if you joined after 2005 you're only slightly above console peasant.

booooo...says I've only been a member since 11/04 (8 years..bout to hit 9).  I could have sworn I got half-life 2 retail a month after release.  I know I didn't get it day one because they were having so many problems.

booooo...says I've only been a member since 11/04 (8 years..bout to hit 9).  I could have sworn I got half-life 2 retail a month after release.  I know I didn't get it day one because they were having so many problems.

Well HL2 was released 11/04, so even if your account was made a month after its release, it would still only be 8 (almost 9) years old. My oldest account hit 9 years old about 2 months ago but the one I use is only at 6 years (at the end of this month). :(

I, for one, absolutely HATED Steam when it first launched. In fact, I started a crazy ass thread here on Neowin about it. I was only a member for about 17 days at this point in time as well, so as you can see in the thread itself, it was not well received.  :rofl: 
Even better, I give no real reasons as to why it sucked, other than to call it "spyware."  :laugh: Ahh, the good old days.

And I actually must have started that thread above right after installing Steam. Here is my Join Date for Steam...

Years of Service
450 XP
Unlocked: Sep 16, 2012 @ 10:40pm

I, for one, absolutely HATED Steam when it first launched. In fact, I started a crazy ass thread here on Neowin about it. I was only a member for about 17 days at this point in time as well, so as you can see in the thread itself, it was not well received.  :rofl: 

Even better, I give no real reasons as to why it sucked, other than to call it "spyware."  :laugh: Ahh, the good old days.

And I actually must have started that thread above right after installing Steam. Here is my Join Date for Steam...

Years of Service
450 XP
Unlocked: Sep 16, 2012 @ 10:40pm

Out of curiosity how many Steam games do you own ?

Out of curiosity how many Steam games do you own ?

98, which is a little less than 10 per year. Hardly anything compared to most.

Getting diagnosed with DeQuervains tendinitis about 7 years ago now and being told directly by a orthopedic doctor to limit keyboard and mouse time coupled with the release of the XBox 360 and PS3 have a lot to do with that low number however. No doubt about that.

EDIT 1 - I just checked, I have played 87 games on the PSN, Probably just as much on the XBox, if not more, having a hard time figuring that out on XBox.com.

EDIT 2 - "All My Activity" on XBox.com is 195 things, maybe 20 of which is apps, etc., so yeah, played a whole lot of games on the XBox as well.

The difference between the console games and Steam is I used GameFly ever since it has been in existence, so well over 50% of the console games I have played were rented, if not way more. So I no doubt own the most amount of games on PC still.

The sad part is out of those 95 games on Steam I own, I have easily not even touched half if I had to guess. A good amount of them are from the Humble Bundles.

It still left that bad taste from back then. Later patches for Opposing Force (like OpFor CTF) and the soundtrack were never added.

But I'm over it now...or not...I only joined in 2004, but already own almost 200 games though, so yeah, I'm over it.

Happy Birthday Steam!  :punk:  :fun: been with Steam from nearly the beginning (my 10 year anniversary on Steam is in a few months). Your have come a long way :)

I remember trying to play HL2 launch day. I'd preloaded and it was ready to go!.... until the authentication servers got destroyed. I didn't get to play it for another day or so.   I was so sad...  Oh 15 year old me and my priorities. 

Aw yeah! Member since Oct 3, 2003 (not sure why it took me a few weeks :p)

I remember hating Steam at launch because of all of the issues. I also remember weird workarounds for getting owned games working on it (CS and similar), paste the key in twice!

I also remember it gave me an idea to create a distribution app to maintain application updates and similar (like Steam....but for non-games). I had a thread on Neowin detailing the progress...sadly can't seem to find it anymore :( I was a fairly newb programmer at the time :p Ah, the good old days

I remember hating Steam when it first came out.  I think much of it had to with the fact that it was kind of a resource hog and when it first released it ran extremely slow on older PCs.  I remember at the time I had an older PC and CS 1.5 ran great and then being forced to use Steam made playing CS 1.6 a laggy experience.

I'm a steam member since 8 September 2005 and own 1064 games so far with about 60 another copies of those games (left over from bundles) activated on another steam account.

You my friend are keeping Steam alive! :woot:  That's a lot of games! I have 8.

The reason I don't use it is because I find it's still a little clunky. Meaning that it does freeze sometimes for me, not too sure maybe it's because i'm using a first gen i7. ALSO i guess i think of it only as a game launcher so to me, I want my game launcher to be very fast, fluid and ultra responsive.

and again i'm not saying Steam isn't that, but I just want a little fine tuning done to it :D

I'm a steam member since 8 September 2005 and own 1064 games so far with about 60 another copies of those games (left over from bundles) activated on another steam account.

You're also a BOSS. ###### dude. :woot: