Photo

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 #Michael

#Michael

Neowinian Senior

• 6,171 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:47

Well that didn't take long.  If Apple has it then that means that Samsung will too.  Wonder what their design will look like??

Samsung's mobile business head JK Shin has said that the company's next smartphones will feature a 64-bit CPU, according to the Korea Times

Full article: http://www.engadget....ung-64-bit-cpu/

#2 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,391 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:49

Obviously they can fall behind...

#3 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:50

About time that phones caught up with my 64 bits Atari Jaguar gaming machine.

#4 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,119 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:52

Where's the announcement for their fingerprint scanner?  The GS5 will undoubtedly have it along with an 8-core CPU...

#5 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,602 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:57

So only iPhone users will have a 64bit e-boner until then? Fun times ahead.

Although next-gen Samsung phones launch everyday so he probably means next week.

#6 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,391 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:59

Where's the announcement for their fingerprint scanner?  The GS5 will undoubtedly have it along with an 8-core CPU...

So only iPhone users will have a 64bit e-boner until then? Fun times ahead.

I think we've gotten to the point where no one is actually bringing anything new to the game, it's moarrr specs, moarrrr useless features ( Though I see how the fingerprint unlock is usefull), :/ Man when I first saw the iPhone 4 I was like "what an awesome design"... Every other phone has just been meh... ( I got a galaxy s4, because my 4 was beat up...)

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:04

I think we've gotten to the point where no one is actually bringing anything new to the game, it's moarrr specs, moarrrr useless features

Basically, yeah. I don't see a 64-bit CPU as that big of a deal for my phone.

#8 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,417 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:04

It's so revolutionary.

#9 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,741 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:09

Worse, it will actually be a detriment!

You only need a 64bit processor if you're going to be addressing more than 4gb of RAM. No phone has that much RAM, and won't for a couple of years yet, if then.

Also, currently all mobile apps are 32bit apps. That means they're going to have to either be recompiled, or run via some kind of emulation layer (like the WoW64 library in Windows) to run, and that's going to be slower than running them on a 32bit processor.

#10 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,391 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:10

Pretty much, an average joe will never ever care about it... But come to think of it, this might be an apple strategy to bring in more "spec hoarders". 

#11 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,417 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:12

Pretty much, an average joe will never ever care about it... But come to think of it, this might be an apple strategy to bring in more "spec hoarders".

Bahahahahahaha.
Umm, this article is about Samsungs next phone. So clearly it's their strategy as well.

#12 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,391 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:12

You only need a 64bit processor if you're going to be addressing more than 4gb of RAM. No phone has that much RAM, and won't for a couple of years yet, if then.

Also, currently all mobile apps are 32bit apps. That means they're going to have to either be recompiled, or run via some kind of emulation layer (like the WoW64 library in Windows) to run, and that's going to be slower than running them on a 32bit processor.

And then even, what games or apps use 4gigs on a phone?!!? It took long enough on PC...

#13 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,119 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 14:13

Memory allocation isn't the only use for 64-bit processing.

I believe they are using the 64-bit architecture with the fingerprint scanner and probably other things.  

Higher security potential with x64.

#14 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,391 posts

Bahahahahahaha.
Umm, this article is about Samsungs next phone. So clearly it's their strategy as well.

True story. :laugh:

#15 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,417 posts

You have no clue how 64 bit works. I thought by now people would know it's not just about memory. Go visit our great friend Google and educate yourself on the matter....please:)