Windows 8.1 + Sonicwall GVC 4.8 Download

If anyone out there is using a Sonicwall VPN and needs the GVC for Windows 8.1 I was able to snag the beta. So here are the links. The previous 4.7 version is incompatible with Windows 8.1, the DNE portion will cause blue-screens. So far this one is working for me.

32Bit - Update see below.

64Bit - Update see below.

• 4 weeks later...

Just FYI these are now final, I re-downloaded from Sonicwalls site, but they appear be the same files. 

4.8.6 - 32bit - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111413/GVC4.8/GVCSetup32.exe

4.8.6 - 64bit - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111413/GVC4.8/GVCSetup64.exe

And just FYI even with the new Surface Pro Oct 5th 2013 update which contains driver updates for WiFi, when the Sonicwall 4.8.6 client above is installed, after a resume from sleep Wifi connectivity is broken and listed at "Limited". Rebooting does not fix it, it will work once and then never again. You must then uninstall the Sonicwall VPN Client for it to work. I have filed a Support Request with Sonicwall.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also experiencing this exact same problem.  MS Surface Pro / Windows 8.1 / Sonicwall GVPN Client 4.8.6.0826.  Works fine after initial install, but upon reboot WIFI connection has "limited" (i.e. no Internet) access.  Ergo, GVPN client is useless without Internet access.  Required to uninstall GVPN client in order to restore full WIFI connection.  Running Windows 8 / Sonicwall GVPN Client 4.7.3 worked like a charm.  Thank you for your post.  Please let us know if you get any further information.

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here.  Although I have not found a way to use any Sonicwall GVC using IPSEC that will work, I was able to resolve the issue by configuring SSL VPN on my SonicWall. (A firmware upgrade was required on my Sonicwall to do this.) Now, I am able to connect to my VPN with my Surface Pro with Windows 8.1 using the SonicWall NetExtender application.  Configuring SSL VPN can be a tricky, but there are numerous help pages available on the web.  Theoretically, Windows 8.1 should be able to connect using it's integrated connectivity availabilities, but this appears only to work if your hosting your SSL VPN on port 443.  The NetExtender app will allow you to connect via whichever port you've decided to host your SSL VPN.

I am also experiencing this exact same problem.  MS Surface Pro / Windows 8.1 / Sonicwall GVPN Client 4.8.6.0826.  Works fine after initial install, but upon reboot WIFI connection has "limited" (i.e. no Internet) access.  Ergo, GVPN client is useless without Internet access.  Required to uninstall GVPN client in order to restore full WIFI connection.  Running Windows 8 / Sonicwall GVPN Client 4.7.3 worked like a charm.  Thank you for your post.  Please let us know if you get any further information.

Kenny

Wanted to post in case this helps others...

I have a Surface Pro 2 with Windows 8.1 and have the same issue listed above where after installing the SonicWALL GVC (version 4.8.6) and restarting, I would then get the "Limited Connectivity" error for all Wifi connections.  The only fix was to uninstall GVC and restart to get Wifi connectivity back.

I just finished troubleshooting with SonicWALL Tech support and they asked me to install GVC version 4.7.3 (I know, the same version that some say caused a BSOD under Windows 8.0) and it seemed to work.  After installing GVC 4.7.3, I've tried multiple restarts without any issues with my Wifi connection and have successfully setup my VPN connection without any errors. 

If you've upgraded to Windows 8.1 and are having trouble with the SonicWALL Global VPN Client, try reverting back to GVC 4.7.3 to see if that solves your problem.

Phil

So just another update after reading the above posts.

It appears to only be an issue with the Marvel Wifi in Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2. I have my Dell Venue 8 Pro her and it works just fine with Windows 8.1 and the Wifi chipset in it. Also works fine on my desktop under Windows  8.1

Sonicwall support also gave me the same advice, uninstall 4.8 and go back to 4.7.3. I haven't tested this but I believe it to work, when you install 4.8 it updates the DNE/IPSEC driver, and when you uninstall it, those files stay installed. Then when you install 4.7.3 it doesn't over-write them, so you are getting a hacked installed basically, 4.8 DNE/IPSEC driver and 4.7.3 app/UI.

I'm sure Sonicwall will issue another update soon.

On the SSL-VPN thing, I have SSL-VPN setup fine and works great using the Android app on port 4433. I tried the trick of moving SSL management from 443 to something else, then changing SSL-VPN to 443. I was still not able to connect, when I try IP or IP:port it states "Not a sonicwall SSL VPN server' or similar message. And I see NOTHING in the active log coming in. Any other ideas on that?

Think I have the SSL-VPN figured out.

2 Issues.

First issue, it defaults to port 443. Which is stupid since 443 is management for the Sonicwall, 4433 is the default SSL-VPN port. Do this from power-shell to create a new connection with the custom port number: One line at a time, be sure to change the VPN Name and ServerAddress to your settings on line 4 and of course 4433 if you are using something different on line 1

$xml = "<MobileConnect><Port>4433</Port></MobileConnect>"
$sourceXml=New-Object System.Xml.XmlDocument
$sourceXml.LoadXml($xml)
Add-VpnConnection -Name "VPN Name" -ServerAddress 198.6.1.2 -SplitTunneling $True -PluginApplicationID SonicWALL.MobileConnect_cw5n1h2txyewy -CustomConfiguration $sourceXml

After all of that, if it still fails, your Sonicwall is defaulting to RC5 encryption for SSL-VPN. Log into the Sonicwall, go to SSL-VPN>Server-Settings, and look for "Enable Server Cipher Preference" check that box and choose AES_256SHA1, then apply the setting.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in from the Director of Software Engineering at Sonicwall.

4.8.7 - 32Bit - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111413/GVC4.8.7/GVCSetup32.exe

4.8.7 - 64Bit - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/111413/GVC4.8.7/GVCSetup64.exe

*note these are not on the Support site yet.

Any of you guys witha Surface Pro, give these a shot, see if it fixes the issues and let me know here.

I sold my Surface Pro and went to a Dell Venue 8 Pro, so I can't test.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...