Photo

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#16 fatbeerguy

fatbeerguy

Neowinian

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:04

if I kill the process and check out services automatic update is then turned off

That's not a reliable method, if that svchost was hosting 2 services, windows update and Z, and you notice windows updates isn't running any more, it doesn't mean that service Z wasn't the problem.

#17 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:09

Disable Microsoft Update and reboot.

#18 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:10

Disable Microsoft Update and reboot.

That's what I thought, I just had an XP machine in office doing it and checked and that wasn't enabled. It SVCHOST chugged 100% cpu for about 5 mins after I opened windows update. SVCHOST also goes bat **** crazy when I open patchmypc which automatically checks for Windows updates.

#19 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:13

That's what I thought, I just had an XP machine in office doing it and checked and that wasn't enabled. It SVCHOST chugged 100% cpu for about 5 mins after I opened windows update. SVCHOST also goes bat **** crazy when I open patchmypc which automatically checks for Windows updates.

Are you sure it's Windows Update and not some third party software like an antivirus? Try using TASKLIST /SVC to find out which services are running on each SVCHOST instance. Also is the Windows XP install clean or does it have Office or other software installed? The Windows Update client usually only chugs CPU when it's scanning MSI and MSP files.

#20 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:16

Maybe the fact that it's need to check against 200+ updates is what's causing the CPU to spike...

You said that you saw this happen on clean installs but to make sure; is Office 2007 on the machine?

#21 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:21

This is happening on my Server 03 machine as we type. Not sure what the issue is.. finally got around to rebooting it from last set of updates, and now it's on the first of 20 updates and svc host is 94% cpu.

#22 flynempire

flynempire

It's called the bat and yes Mr. Wayne it comes in black :)

• OS: Windows 7 Pro SP-1, Windows 8.1 (RT) Android 4.1.2 Windows 8.1 Up1
  • Phone: Samsung Exhibit (Latest Model)

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:31

This definitely is from Windows Update. I had this happen before and was able to trace it down to WU.

I would also disable Windows update and everything was back to normal. This issue though goes back several years. I have been using Windows 7 exclusively since the beginning of 2010 so been several years since I had XP on my machines.

I dont know why the hell they have not fixed this issue yet. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:35

I dont know why the hell they have not fixed this issue yet. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

Considering XP gets the boot next year...

#24 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:46

MS should push out Bonzi Buddy, Clippy and a bunch of other junk as XP's final update.

"It looks like you are still using Windows XP. Would you like to upgrade your OS?"

#25 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:48

Crippling XP  through updates, to encourage people to update.

I  would have thought Microsoft to not rely on such shady tactics.

:woot: :woot:

No in fact I  always wondered when they would do this.

And I'm not convinced by the need to constantly update the system, at least with a good antivirus & firewall.

#26 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 12 September 2013 - 20:52

And I'm not convinced by the need to constantly update the system, at least with a good antivirus & firewall.

:face palm:

#27 flynempire

flynempire

It's called the bat and yes Mr. Wayne it comes in black :)

• OS: Windows 7 Pro SP-1, Windows 8.1 (RT) Android 4.1.2 Windows 8.1 Up1
  • Phone: Samsung Exhibit (Latest Model)

Posted 12 September 2013 - 21:13

Regardless of EOL they still should fix it because there will still be companies holding on as long as they can as well as individuals and the least you can do is let them have whatever updates are available until there are no more.

After EOL they assume the risk and not MS..

#28 bigmehdi

bigmehdi

Neowinian

Posted 12 September 2013 - 21:28

What I would do is slipstream a maximum of updates with nlite in XP, before installing it.

I think that's more convenient.

#29 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 September 2013 - 23:32

:face palm:

Why? Unless you use IE or Office (the MU CPU usage bug makes it impossible to keep Office updated on older machines) I don't think that much could happen if your XP has at least the latest service pack installed. Adobe Flash, Reader and third party browsers update themselves separately so the surface attack area is already quite reduced.

#30 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 12 September 2013 - 23:42

I've noticed this too for the last year or so. It appeared to co-incide with the last WU agent update.

I consider it normal behaviour, it's just re/building the WU database anyway.