220 replies to this topic

#46 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:02

It's so obvious to me what's going on, and someone else also mentioned it

It's a combination of scanning through a few hundred updates and refreshing the WU database at the same time

I bet that given enough time to complete it would go away on it's own since it's the first run of it, there's no need for a full rescan and DB update after that and should run normally

#47 Nicholas Burnell

Nicholas Burnell

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:14

I'm not buying this.

Here is my real world experiment yesterday and today.

Dell Optiplex 320 lowly 1.6 Celeron, 1gb RAM

XP Pro SP3, 100%cpu on fresh build as soon as WU site visited

Left all night, still just scanning.

Tried all fixes, same.

Suspicious of my media maybe?

So, tried XP Home SP3, SAME fault.

As I type I am now looking at an installation of 7 Pro, it's at the WU site, CPU spiked for a mo, now its all perect, nicely doing the updates with a healthy CPU rate.

This is IMHO 100% MS Update site with XP.

Nick

#48 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:14

Just did a brand new, fresh install of XP yesterday on an ancient E-Machine. One of the first things I ALWAYS do on a fresh install is disable auto update under both sections. In services and the automatic update icon in control panel.

No such issue on that machine yesterday, other than taking 6 hours, it felt like, to get them all.

Of course,

I ALWAYS disable automatic updates on EVERY computer of mine anyway. The ONLY thing I EVER allow to do anything automatically is my AV updates, when I actually use an AV, that is!!

Auto updates are WAY more trouble than they're worth, especially when 16 different things are starting up trying to do that at same time, IMO.

#49 Riva

Riva

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:27

I recently installed XP SP3 (media downloaded from MSDN) and windows update scans forever. I sometimes get updates from the tray but nothing else works. I cant even install IE8. I only needed it for a legacy VPN client but thankfully there is a win 8 version now so I gave up. let XP die in peace please and just upgrade to windows 7 if you don't like the sound of 8.1.

#50 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:37

Knowing how they left the same issue with Microsoft Update unfixed I doubt they'd ever do something about this one. What a shame. Not that it would matter for much more time though, since updates are ending next year.

#51 +Ryster

Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:48

Why? Unless you use IE or Office (the MU CPU usage bug makes it impossible to keep Office updated on older machines) I don't think that much could happen if your XP has at least the latest service pack installed. Adobe Flash, Reader and third party browsers update themselves separately so the surface attack area is already quite reduced.

Sorry, but that's just a "stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exists" approach to safety.

What happens when the next Blaster or Nachi comes along that makes use of a vulnerability in Windows to infect your machine without user intervention.  The Windows firewall is not infallible you know, especially the antiquated one in XP. I've seen malware able to disable it in the past. It can take AV vendors several days, if not weeks to push out definition updates for new viruses as quite often it depends on sample submissions.

#52 Nicholas Burnell

Nicholas Burnell

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:51

I've done thousands of XP installs with my media, always an easy updates scenario untill a few months ago.

Best slipstream some updates again.

Microsoft: You really are beginning to deserve to fail.

I only hope I dont have to do a Server or SBS 2003 from scratch ever again, my bet is it will be the same fault.

Quick reply to the 8.1 comment. Normal people, old people, infirm people et all have all been tought to, "Drive" Windows in a certain (desktop) way.

If you move the controls in their cars they would stop buying the car until someone put them back where they belong.

(off subject, sorry)

#53 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:14

Hey guys

been following this thread..have any of you who have been experienced this problem tried this out..Microsoft apparently released a patch several years ago for this very issue

http://www.windows-h...00-percent.html

#54 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:32

I run xp on an old PC I use as its GPU chugs under windows 7. I usually just let it sit there for a good five minutes then it kicks to life... Of course older machines, like my single core laptop tend to suffer greatly.

#55 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:32

Sorry, but that's just a "stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exists" approach to safety.

What happens when the next Blaster or Nachi comes along that makes use of a vulnerability in Windows to infect your machine without user intervention.  The Windows firewall is not infallible you know, especially the antiquated one in XP. I've seen malware able to disable it in the past. It can take AV vendors several days, if not weeks to push out definition updates for new viruses as quite often it depends on sample submissions.

After all those years it's extremely unlikely to see another remote vulnerability, even more one that bypasses the firewall, and almost impossible one that also bypasses the router that most people use. I've seen machines never updated after SP2, and that's almost from 9 years ago, having no issues at all. If you're fearful of the worst case scenario after SP2 you can close all the ports, inclusing those reserved by all the microsoft network client and file and printer sharing without even having to bother with editing registry entries (both Server and Workstation services are uninstallable). That said, choosing between a completely unusable machine and a machine perfectly usable but slightly less insecure the answer is pretty easy, if security was really that important you shouldn't even use a computer to start with. I'd be far more afraid to browse the web with an outdated java, flash or adobe reader plugin.

#56 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:52

i've had this problema a couple of months ago, it was a driver issue. Other than that recomend process explorer and process monitor to check whats going on.

#57 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:58

After all those years it's extremely unlikely to see another remote vulnerability, even more one that bypasses the firewall, and almost impossible one that also bypasses the router that most people use. I've seen machines never updated after SP2, and that's almost from 9 years ago, having no issues at all. If you're fearful of the worst case scenario after SP2 you can close all the ports, inclusing those reserved by all the microsoft network client and file and printer sharing without even having to bother with editing registry entries (both Server and Workstation services are uninstallable). That said, choosing between a completely unusable machine and a machine perfectly usable but slightly less insecure the answer is pretty easy, if security was really that important you shouldn't even use a computer to start with. I'd be far more afraid to browse the web with an outdated java, flash or adobe reader plugin.

dude, after April 8 in 2014 every exploit discovered that affects Windows XP won't be patched because there won't be a patch to begin with, so a experienced hacker can read the MS Bulletin, download the patch for other OS and by understanding what that patch does it can exploit the fault in Windows XP, by making malware that targets that fault, knowing that it won't be fixed. And considering the amount of users and organizations that use Windows XP, this is bad.

I remember the days of massing attacks by using worms and exploits that targeted Windows 2000; while most of the people migrated from 2000 to XP along th years and those attacks vectors were reduced, it took a while and in that same time, many attacks were sucessful.

#58 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 13:13

this use to be a bug in windows XP that MS fixed years ago when you were in pre SP2 or SP3 I can't remember it's been a while... but windows update would go nuts with the whole update service and run at 100% for a long time

#59 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 October 2013 - 13:16

dude, after April 8 in 2014 every exploit discovered that affects Windows XP won't be patched because there won't be a patch to begin with, so a experienced hacker can read the MS Bulletin, download the patch for other OS and by understanding what that patch does it can exploit the fault in Windows XP, by making malware that targets that fault, knowing that it won't be fixed. And considering the amount of users and organizations that use Windows XP, this is bad.

I remember the days of massing attacks by using worms and exploits that targeted Windows 2000; while most of the people migrated from 2000 to XP along th years and those attacks vectors were reduced, it took a while and in that same time, many attacks were sucessful.

You should read the whole chain of posts before answering. I already wrote that within 1 year XP won't be supported anymore. My point was that if you use a third party browser and keep adobe flash and reader updated the attack surface would still stay very low. Do you think that antivirus makers don't bother detecting the exploit codes as well?

#60 StarkWiz

StarkWiz

Neowinian

Posted 04 October 2013 - 13:28

Hey guys

been following this thread..have any of you who have been experienced this problem tried this out..Microsoft apparently released a patch several years ago for this very issue

http://www.windows-h...00-percent.html

Yes, this is not a new issue as many would think. I have noticed this on many machines when working with one of the MS partners, who were testing WGA. 

You can try using the offline updater, http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It updates the Windows Update files by default before installing any more updates. Make sure to update root certificates as well.