Assist me in buying a android based tablet

I am looking to purchase 2 tablets, one for me to use for school work, etc. and one for my wife. I read that the Nexus are supposed to be really good tablets, but I would like advice on what way to go. I do know that we only need them to be WI-FI since we have wireless service at home and I have it at the college.

All tablets have WiFi on them.  Some have LTE.  The N7 now has LTE version and WiFi.  Great tablet, fast, smooth, and I do not have any lag with the device.  Feels good in the hand, battery last all day, and it is easily rooted.  If a 7in tablet the size you want, then definitely go with the N7.  If you want something bigger like a 10in tablet, then the Nexus 10 is a good tablet as well.  The N10 version 2 is rumored to be coming soon.  I would also stick with Nexus devices if you do not plan on rooting them as they will get the updates the soonest.

• 3 weeks later...

Nexus 7. I got one for my sis for x-mas and she loves it and doesn't have that many problems with it.

What's your budget/screen size requirements? The Nexus 7 2013 is hands down the best "mini" tablet on the market. It's my daily driver for work, and play. It will have the latest version of Android, and it's extremely smooth/very capable. 

I've got the original Asus Transformer (TF101) and I love it. It's been pretty damn solid between me and the kid dropping it. After a good 2 years though, it's done. At some point, it dropped and the power button stopped working. I sort of broke the bevel frame so that I could reach the button underneath which allowed it to work but eventually moving that frame around has cracked the screen. Needless to say, it still works! I use it to stream music all the time. Luckily most of the crack is in the corner over the black part so I can just ignore it. I won't let my kid use it now. I would recommend Asus and when I get the money, I will be getting one again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Right now, on the Android tablet section, the Nexus 7 has a even bigger monopoly than what most people think Samsung has on Android headsets. There is no question: Nexus 7 or even the Nexus 10 (refresh problably coming soon)

What's your budget/screen size requirements? The Nexus 7 2013 is hands down the best "mini" tablet on the market. It's my daily driver for work, and play. It will have the latest version of Android, and it's extremely smooth/very capable.

Im not too sure about your ""mini" tablet" comment. The Nexus 7 is a tablet.

I highly recommend the Asus transformer tablet series. It is not only a tablet but can convert into a laptop type form (which is great for school/work). The keyboard additionally powers the tablet when the tablet runs out of juice. The quality of the materials on the asus tablet are excellent. Asus makes overall excellent products.

http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF700T

The nexus are good devices, but if you have deeper pockets I'd go with the Note range. I personally own the Note 10.1 and have not had anything bad to say about it for almost a year, using it almost everyday.

I've got the previous gen Nexus 7 and it's excellent - I can only imagine the new one is even more awesome. Hard to beat in terms of specs / value for money. 

Hello,

Right now, on the Android tablet section, the Nexus 7 has a even bigger monopoly than what most people think Samsung has on Android headsets. There is no question: Nexus 7 or even the Nexus 10 (refresh problably coming soon)

Im not too sure about your ""mini" tablet" comment. The Nexus 7 is a tablet.

Semantics. If Apple can call their 7.9" tablet a mini, then the Nexus 7 surely can be called a mini tablet, after all it is on the smaller end of the scale in terms of tablets. 

Hello,

Semantics. If Apple can call their 7.9" tablet a mini, then the Nexus 7 surely can be called a mini tablet, after all it is on the smaller end of the scale in terms of tablets.

Apple calls Macs, Macs when they are PCs running a different operating system. A tablet is simply a PC with display, curcuits, storage, etc in one single unit. Its like the phablet; I dont believe or use that term. It is either a (huge) phone or a (small) tablet. I might have misunderstood you because I read that you ment "mini tablet" as less capable or weaker than "tablets" which is not the case for the Nexus 7