• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:41

Xbox 360 monthly sales in U.S. drop to just 96,000 units in August 2013
by John Callaham

Microsoft's sales of Xbox 360 consoles hit a new low in the U.S. in August 2013. The company announced today that, according to data from the NPD Group, only 96,000 units of the eight year console were sold in the U.S. last month.

That's less than half of the 196,000 units the company sold in August 2012. It's also the first time that the Xbox 360 has seen a month with sales that went below the 100,000 unit mark in the U.S. However, those numbers were still enough for Microsoft to outsell all other current generation home game consoles for the 32nd straight month. Microsoft also said that total Xbox 360 retail sales, from hardware, software and accessory products, totaled $213 million in the U.S. in August.

Gamesindustry International reports that the portable Nintendo 3DS console outsold the Xbox 360 for the fourth straight month in the U.S., but did not provide specific unit figures. Overall hardware console sales plummeted last month to just $90.8 million, down 40 percent compared to a year ago.

The good news is that game software sales were actually higher in August compared to a year ago, with total revenue coming in at $305 million, according to the NPD Group. That's a 21 percent increase compared to August 2012. It's the first time since November 2011 that game software sales were up year-to-year in the U.S.

The top selling game in August was, as expected, the pro football title Madden 25 from Electronic Arts. Saints Row IV, the satirical open world action game from developer Volition and publisher Deep Silver (who bought the game and the developer from the bankrupt THQ) came in second in sales. Disney Infinity, the kid-based game with sets of real world collectible figures, came in third in August.

The increase in software sales, along with a seven percent boost in accessory sales, helped to raise overall game retail revenue in the U.S. to $521 million in August, up one percent from a year ago.

Source: Microsoft | Image via Microsoft

#2 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:46

Next gen incoming! WoOoT!

#3 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:47

Woo, go 3DS!

#4 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:44

Next gen incoming! WoOoT!

Hell yeah it's about freakin time the consoles aren't technologically embarrassing...for two years at least  :D

#5 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:21

Hell yeah it's about freakin time the consoles aren't technologically embarrassing...for two years at least  :D

Don't the 1.3/1.8 TFlop gpus and low clocked amd cpus put these two consoles in the worst position consoles have been in at launch compared to modern PC's at the time?

#6 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:33

Don't the 1.3/1.8 TFlop gpus and low clocked amd cpus put these two consoles in the worst position consoles have been in at launch compared to modern PC's at the time?

Did you also know that the raw numbers of the consoles in 2005 were far exceeded by the PC's at the time?

A fixed platform and unified architecture means a lot more than you think. Considering my laptop which takes a dump all over my 360 can't even handle Black Ops 2 in 720p at 60fps.

#7 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:36

With DDR4 and 4K on the horizon, I give it 2 years.

#8 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:42

Did you also know that the raw numbers of the consoles in 2005 were far exceeded by the PC's at the time?

A fixed platform and unified architecture means a lot more than you think. Considering my laptop which takes a dump all over my 360 can't even handle Black Ops 2 in 720p at 60fps.

Did you also know that the Super Nintendo had Mode 7 graphics and could display 256 colors?

#9 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:45

Actually, highend pc gpu's of the time(2005) weren't nearly as far ahead of the 360 as they are with these new consoles. The best current single gpu card from amd right now is 3x or so above the xbone. And that could very well change by november.

Also, if you're trying to say the 360 runs black ops 2 at 720p60, you're wrong. It's sub-hd and frequently sub-60fps just like your lowend sounding laptop is.

#10 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:52

back to school. Nobody buys consoles.

#11 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:56

Actually, highend pc gpu's of the time(2005) weren't nearly as far ahead of the 360 as they are with these new consoles. The best current single gpu card from amd right now is 3x or so above the xbone. And that could very well change by november.

Also, if you're trying to say the 360 runs black ops 2 at 720p60, you're wrong. It's sub-hd and frequently sub-60fps just like your lowend sounding laptop is.

The 360 GPU was just over 200 GFLOPS and the best GPU at the time was the Nvidia 7800 GTX which was also just over 200 GFLOPS and that card was out in the summer of 2005. They also released a version with 512mb RAM in december which out shined anything at the time. The 7 series was the first series to support SLI (I think) so at the time you could build a computer with over 400 GFLOPS of power.

I know it's sub HD, I'm just making a point. My laptop actually has a i7 with a Nvidia 540m which actually has 512mb of GDDR with 250 GFLOPS of power add that to the 6GB of ram, and yes it does poop all over the 360. 

Bring on next-gen.

#12 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:01

Could've sworn this article said 96,000 not 0. At that rate alone that's near as makes no difference 100k per month, 1.2 million a year, just for the 360, Hardly "nobody".

#13 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 13 September 2013 - 16:54

Xbox 360 and PS3 both had gimped integer processing and hardly any RAM (even at launch it was considered weak.)

According to the Steam hw survey your average gaming PC today is still a toss up between dual core and quad where these machines have eight cores.  And has between 2 to 4GB of RAM where these machines have 8.

So in several ways these consoles are far ahead of your average gaming PC where no console has been able to say that before.

As for CPU clockspeed, you should know by now it's irrelevant to how much a processor architecture can actually accomplish....otherwise we'd still be using Pentium 4s.

#14 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 13 September 2013 - 17:00

Not exactly true lol. Do you know how many college kids use their financial aid on consoles? One of our community colleges even started selling consoles in their "book" store. :laugh:

#15 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 13 September 2013 - 17:00

Did you also know that the Super Nintendo had Mode 7 graphics and could display 256 colors?

That's nothing compared to the 64 bit horsepower the Atari Jaguar electronic home video gaming entertainment system had.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!