Stop W7 locking after remote access?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:06

Is it possible to stop Windows 7 locking the session after remote access?

I'm using this box as a HTPC and therefore require as little user input as possible, it has no keyboard attached so i do all work remotely, but after a remote session it has locked the session on the PC, so if i flick over to the HTPC to watch a movie or play again i'm forced to login to unlock the session.

#2 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:11

it actually locks up "when" you remote access not after.

what I suggest is slightly different though and is what I did. create a separate remote admin user. then do the registry hack that allows multiple logins to windows 7. then the htpc part part of your htpc will be unisturbed as you log in and do all the changes on another user. you can also run other "server" apps on the remote user, like if you use it for some kind of download box. 

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post a link to the reg hack here(actually it might require changing a dll to, I don't quite remember), but just google for "multiple remote logins for windows 7" or something. 

#3 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 September 2013 - 16:32

Is it possible to hack that multiple logins in windows 7? I am really confuse with it.

Yes

#4 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:12

Thanks for the reply, i'm not sure if that will work for me i'd rather have direct access to the user account.

is there no way to work directly in the active session.. kinda like screen share on a mac.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:41

Only with other remote software. 

for a HTPC though, I find the best solution is to leave the media user alone. that way you can configure stuff even while you or someone else is watching stuff or it's recording stuff. depending on the media center software you could also configure stuff while it's running, and eventually just do a quick software restart to apply settings. 

#6 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:33

Only with other remote software. 

for a HTPC though, I find the best solution is to leave the media user alone. that way you can configure stuff even while you or someone else is watching stuff or it's recording stuff. depending on the media center software you could also configure stuff while it's running, and eventually just do a quick software restart to apply settings. 

Yeah that actually makes sense, i will give it a go.

#7 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:01

Problem i'm having with this is that all my media is stored on the other user account, when i install something shortcut and customisation is going on the new user instead of the media user.

I've resorted back to working on the main user account when organising media or installing a game and then when i log out of the remote session it's effectively logging me out of the windows, i noticed last night when i fired up plex on my ipad it wouldnt find the server, when i checked my HTPC it was locked, when i logged in i could see all my apps loading so they weren't loaded previously.

#8 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:12

The other option is to set the HTPC to login automatically and just reboot it after using it via RDP.

#9 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:26

Now i think about it i shouldn't really be storing anything on my media user account or deep in windows, i should have it on a partition and then it's easily accessible to every account, configure my main media user once and then never touch it again.

#10 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:45

The other option is to set the HTPC to login automatically and just reboot it after using it via RDP.

That is a horrible option.

#11 OP goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:50

especially considering you can't restart from RDP only disconnect.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:52

Shutdown command line, but still not the best option since it disrupts the media user, and yeah, don't store media on a user account, the store it on the shared folders/"libraries"
And most install will let you chose if you install for this user or all.

#13 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:06

You can easily restart a pc from RDP, start menu | windows security.

Horrible option? Why do you need a password on an HTPC that anyone in your household can use. Oh no! Someone broke in and stole my movies!

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:07

You can easily restart a pc from RDP, start menu | windows security.

Horrible option? Why do you need a password on an HTPC that anyone in your household can use. Oh no! Someone broke in and stole my movies!

No, it's horrible because you're restarting the HTPC that's potentially being used to watch something.

#15 SledgeNZ

SledgeNZ

Neowinian

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:11

No one is watching anything except the login screen as the OP is logged on via RDP.

I use this method as I don't want to change DLL's to enable multi-sessions. I know when someone in my house is using the HTPC. Just handy to jump on, sort something out then reboot when finished.