• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,987 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:57

POPE Francis has allowed atheists to use their brains independently of God.

In a letter to an Italian newspaper, the Pontiff said that atheists could now decide for themselves what was right and wrong using something called a ‘conscience’.Francis became the first Pope since the founding of the Catholic Church to grant non-believers some limited control over their own thoughts.

But he added: “Don’t go crazy with it, because we all know what you’re like.”

Tom Logan, an atheist from Stevenage, said: “Thanks Pope, that’s really nice of you.

“I have been struggling with whether or not to use my conscience in everyday life.

“I do tend to use it most days, but I don’t really trust it because it didn’t come from heaven.”

Logan added:  “I promise I won’t go on a massive killing spree.”

Helen Archer, a non-believer since 1997, said: “It’s good to know that thinking independently is something to which I can ‘opt-in’.

“I plan to use it mostly at the weekends and for watching television.”

Theologian Professor Julian Cook, added: “The last Pope wouldn’t have let you think for yourselves in a million years.

“You’re very lucky, you know.”

http://www.thedailym...k-2013091279377

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 19:16

Francis became the first Pope since the founding of the Catholic Church to grant non-believers some limited control over their own thoughts.

Isn't he sweet? /s

#3 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,003 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:16

Old news and somewhat twisted.  What the new pope actually said a few months back is along the lines of:

We should stop calling all atheists bad people.  They have a conscience like Christians, and this is what they use to guide them through choices.  There are good and bad atheists just like there are good and bad people.  Basically, we need to stop assuming anyone who doesn't believe our version of events is inherently bad.

He's also cool with gay folk too.

So, as much as I am not a fan of organised religion (I much prefer the disorganised kind), maybe we should cut the guy some slack because he's actually really moving the church forward!

#4 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,605 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4 7.1.2 jb/ul

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:22

the way religion is, this could be passed off as a legit story and have so many people following it.

#5 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,964 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:24

Old news and somewhat twisted.  What the new pope actually said a few months back is along the lines of:

We should stop calling all atheists bad people.  They have a conscience like Christians, and this is what they use to guide them through choices.  There are good and bad atheists just like there are good and bad people.  Basically, we need to stop assuming anyone who doesn't believe our version of events is inherently bad.

So, as much as I am not a fan of organised religion (I much prefer the disorganised kind), maybe we should cut the guy some slack because he's actually really moving the church forward!

Wow opinionated and unbiased reply! ftw!

#6 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,895 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:27

You know it's a p!ss take right?

#7 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,231 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:36

Isn't he sweet? /s

Attached Images

• tumblr_me0re7KS5e1qmjbpdo1_500_thumb.png

#8 Cast Iron Leader

Cast Iron Leader

Neowinian

• 47 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:40

We should stop calling all atheists bad people.  They have a conscience like Christians, and this is what they use to guide them through life.  There are good and bad atheists just like there are good and bad religious people.  Basically, we need to stop assuming anyone, who doesn't believe in a non existant deity, is inherently bad.

Fixed that for him.

#9 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,003 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 20:42

You know it's a p!ss take right?

Of course, I know the source.  But some people won't :(

#10 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,987 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:37

About as naive as one can get. This article obviously a joke, but if you think the traditionalists and the conservatives in the church are happy about this then you are kidding yourself. When Francis first came out and said something partially positive about atheists his underlings came running out and assuring everyone that we all still went to hell.

#11 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,161 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:52

God what a horrible article.  Let's completely twist what he says to make him look like a jerk.  Who wrote this? Did /r/atheism crowdsource it?  

#12 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• 7,987 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:22

^ That is what satire usually is.

Are people unaware this is the "joke" section?

#13 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,178 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:42

Pretty much summed it up in one right, there. This Pope is v.much the peoples pope. Im still no fan of organised religion, but atleast he seem`s to be more modern in his views.

And I,ll try to not use that conscience tomorrow, as I take a brick to the forehead of that irritating man with the mega phone who keeps telling me I`m doomed and must repent, every morning on my way to work!! :p

#14 +Matthew S.

Matthew S.

What the what

• 2,948 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:44

Since when can the pope dictate whether or not an atheist (or even agonistic) can think?

#15 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

• 1,530 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:53

good to know that the pope is a fan of The Onion.