• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,217 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:51

Since when can the pope dictate whether or not an atheist (or even agonistic) can think?

Are people unaware this is the "joke" section?

#17 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,276 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:15

Wow that is nice of him.

Now Mr Pope prove to me that the bible isn't some made up story changed-up-changed down the generations.

Religion is a belief, not fact.

This prove another point about religious people.

They move to a country and try take it over by bugging people with their beliefs and try converting people.

Winter solstice is a pagan festival hijacked by xtians.

Britain was a pagan country, now it is classed as secular with the main religion being xtianity.

The Pope should thank atheists and pagans for allowing Catholicism to exist.

#18 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,584 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:31

About as naive as one can get. This article obviously a joke, but if you think the traditionalists and the conservatives in the church are happy about this then you are kidding yourself. When Francis first came out and said something partially positive about atheists his underlings came running out and assuring everyone that we all still went to hell.

Well thank you for calling me naive.  I know that he will have rattled some chains with his motions, but let me be honest - it's ridiculously naive of yourself to assume that his speeches are not cleared and that he's not more than just a puppet for how "The Church" want to move.

#19 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 994 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:46

I think as an athiest or someone who does not believe in one higher power/being, EVERYONE should be able to and be encouraged to think for themselves. I say this in the hope they would realize religion is mostly a farce.

Before people get upset with this statement, I'm not saying everything about religion is. There are people who can balance their life, love, work and religion but I have some very religious friends who constantly struggle with their science and mathematic findings which clearly oppose everything religion taught them.

The hypocritical narrow-sighted closed mind religious folks are the downright scary ones. I call these people bible thumpers, as they truly live and breath the bible all the time - yet never act as the bible teaches. These are the folks who say their 5 year old boy is 'naked' when swimming in just shorts, as thats what the bible says - but they'd be OK having their son 'dress for the sport' wearing only a speedo if they chose to be a professional swimmer. These folks are against war and fighting, but their xbox 360 game collection don't have any titles with a rating under 18+. These people also say stealing is wrong, but they don't pay for their cable TV or internet. These are the folks I see taking rolls of tape, bottles of loctite, and countless nuts and bolts from the supply crib at work without paying for them. These folks preach and ramble about their religion being superior to other religions, and trying to get people to 'become religious' or 'switch religions'. These people donate 20% of their wages to the church, then bitch their tax rebate wasn't more than what they contributed (also completely bypassing the fact that everyones tax dollars would actually be paying the church if they get back what they contrubted tax time). These are the people that make me truly hate everything about religion. Out of the 300 or so I work with, theres 2 that fit this bill. Just those 2 made me hate religion more in the past few years than I did my entire life.

#20 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,217 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:10

Well thank you for calling me naive.  I know that he will have rattled some chains with his motions, but let me be honest - it's ridiculously naive of yourself to assume that his speeches are not cleared and that he's not more than just a puppet for how "The Church" want to move.

That's the point: the things he says are probably things he believes and aren't just prepared speeches that the Vatican looks over before he delivers them. He probably believes these kinds of things, but his underlings come out after he says stuff to "clarify" what he meant.

Put simply, he might be making positive steps by showing a more tolerant attitude, but the organisation he works for/with/in seems to contradict him when he displays that tolerant attitude.

#21 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,584 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 20:41

That's the point: the things he says are probably things he believes and aren't just prepared speeches that the Vatican looks over before he delivers them. He probably believes these kinds of things, but his underlings come out after he says stuff to "clarify" what he meant.

An organisation as big as the Catholic Church doesn't allow it's "leader" (figurehead) to utter a word without prior consent.

#22 arachnoid

arachnoid

Call the Opticians

• 2,990 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 20:47

And in return I give the Pope permission to think hes actually making a difference in the world

#23 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 3,725 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 21:01

Who does this man think he......hey wait a minute this is in the Jokes & Funny Stuff thread....never mind.  Carry on.

#24 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,217 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:20

An organisation as big as the Catholic Church doesn't allow it's "leader" (figurehead) to utter a word without prior consent.

And you're basing this on...? I know of at least two times this Pope has said something vaguely tolerant about atheism only to have his handlers/PR people come out and "clarify" his statements. Ignore the obvious problem with having to correct or clarify someone you believe to be infallible.

What makes this Pope a bit different is seems to want to speak his mind but the traditionalists and conservatives want to stop him from speaking so unpredictably. Do you think they were all that thrilled when he said "who am I to judge" regarding homosexuals? Or when the Pope implied that if atheists do good they might still get into heaven?

I hope this Pope continues to say unpredictable things and give his handlers/PR folk plenty of headaches.

#25 arachnoid

arachnoid

Call the Opticians

• 2,990 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:38

Even Presidents and great ambassadors need things clarifying by underlings and I guess even unimportant people say a few things wrong sometimes even inadvertently overly assuming their importance to the populace.

#26 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,777 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:59

basically we now believe atheists have a mind of there own and accept they dont commit half the crimes of us brain washed idiots do!!

#27 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• 2,120 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:08

And in return I give the Pope permission to think hes actually making a difference in the world

lol or have any relevance :)

#28 Radium

Radium

Neowinian

• 1,191 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:22

The Pope has made me lose my will to think. ^_^

#29 OP compl3x

compl3x

✮؛✮؛✮؛✮؛✮

• 7,217 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:48

Even Presidents and great ambassadors need things clarifying by underlings and I guess even unimportant people say a few things wrong sometimes even inadvertently overly assuming their importance to the populace.

Presidents and ambassadors aren't considered infallible. 

#30 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

• 6,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 15:53

Man... how I didn't think about the fact that before he allowed that, I couldn't figure out that such limit was even there?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!