Jack Black in Talks to Star in 'Goosebumps' Adaptation

BqUIC.jpg

The Wrap reports that Black is in negotiations to star in the Goosebumps adaptation in an interesting take on the role. Per the write-up, Black will star as a ?Stine-like author whose scary characters literally leap off the page, forcing him to hide from his own creepy creations.? There is no mention of which creations that will include, but with 175 books and counting, there are plenty to choose from.

Written by Stine starting in 1992, Goosebumps is the second-most successful book series of all-time, behind only Harry Potter in total sales. Still going to this day, Stine has been called the ?Stephen King of children?s literature? for his wildly popular and imaginative horror fiction tales. The franchise has previously been adapted into a 1990s live-action TV series, video games and other merchandise, but the feature film production has been in development for some time. With the addition of Black, it seems as if it?s finally moving forward.

http://collider.com/jack-black-goosebumps/#more-282366

Goosebumps actually could turn into a horror movie if done right. Should get James Wan on that to direct.

Oh god that would be crazy actually, he's in demand at the moment

Nothing against him personally, he is a great actor, person ( I've met him in vegas) but just don't see him in the role.

And p.s

Chill the hell out ,z0phi3l/

• 5 months later...

Two things: ugh! I have a feeling the film is already ruined if Jack Black is staring in it. Sorry, but I just don't feel like he's a very good actor.

James Wan would be an awesome director, but considering his horror wheelhouse is extreme hard R rated gorefests, could he make a kids horror film :P

[edit] Who's Rob Letterman? Yeah, Wan would have been a much better choice. I don't see this film being all that good. :-/

I wonder if they have chosen which story to go after.

According to IMDB:

A young kid teams up with the niece of young adult horror author R.L. Stine after the writer's imaginary demons are set free on the town of Greendale, Maryland.

Sounds like it will be a showcase of the more-popular stories, so we'll see the monster blood, the ventriloquist dummy, the haunted mask all making an appearance somehow. I may end up watching it just for nostalgic reasons...actually, I wonder if I can find the original tv series...

According to IMDB:

Sounds like it will be a showcase of the more-popular stories, so we'll see the monster blood, the ventriloquist dummy, the haunted mask all making an appearance somehow. I may end up watching it just for nostalgic reasons...actually, I wonder if I can find the original tv series...

All the TV episodes are on Youtube somewhere, it will be great to see the old monsters in todays cgi!

According to IMDB:

I swear if I see the the huge praying mantis on the screen I'll go crazy. Even if I see the green goo or even slappy the dummy. I'll freak out. lol. Like a little girl. lol.

ImagesCAF80QGW.jpg

I swear if I see the the huge praying mantis on the screen I'll go crazy. Even if I see the green goo or even slappy the dummy. I'll freak out. lol. Like a little girl. lol.

I can't remember which story in particular it was for me, but I had to hand it to my parents and ask for a hug, might have been The Haunted Mask. I had a similar reaction to The Day of the Triffids, I had to stop midway the first time because it scared me too much (although obviously I think that Wyndham did a far better job of scaring the bejesus out of me, moreso because his stories still scare me to this day.)

I'm sure if I read through them again there would be something lost, but I still remember that horrible feeling that there was going to be no end to "the evil."

I never read the Haunted Mask, but I saw it on TV. My favourites were Shocker on Shock Street, Night of the Living Dummy and Monster Blood.

• 1 month later...

pvbsvc.png

Amy Ryan ("Gone Baby Gone") and Jillian Bell ("Workaholics") have joined the cast of Rob Letterman's "Goosebumps" movie at Sony Pictures.

Based on R.L. Stine's popular book series, Dylan Minnette plays a teen whose family moves to a new home where his new neighbor is a mysterious author (Jack Black).

A demonic ventriloquist's dummy unleashes the author's creepy creations, forcing the pair and the author's niece Hannah (Odeya Rush) to team-up to save their town.

Ryan will play the boy's disbelieving mother, and Bell his ditzy aunt.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

In Goosebumps, upset about moving from a big city to a small town, teenager Zach Cooper (Dylan Minnette) finds a silver lining when he meets the beautiful girl, Hannah (Odeya Rush), living right next door. But every silver lining has a cloud, and Zach?s comes when he learns that Hannah has a mysterious dad who is revealed to be R. L. Stine (Jack Black), the author of the bestselling Goosebumps series. It turns out that there is a reason why Stine is so strange? he is a prisoner of his own imagination ? the monsters that his books made famous are real, and Stine protects his readers by keeping them locked up in their books. When Zach unintentionally unleashes the monsters from their manuscripts and they begin to terrorize the town, it?s suddenly up to Stine, Zach, and Hannah to get all of them back in the books where they belong.

Sypnosis Released

Sony Shifts Release Dates for Goosebumps

Sony Pictures Entertainment has slated Goosebumps for release on August 7, 2015... The films were initially set for release on March 23, 2015... The new date has Goosebumps opening opposite Assassin's Creed.

• 1 month later...