Layoffs abound at HTC America as 20 percent of employees are let go

dsc05105-1363077011.jpg

HTC America ended its Friday evening on the somber revelation that 20 percent of its workforce would be terminated. In all, roughly 30 employees and contractors were let go from the 150-member division, which stands as the latest sign of the company's financial struggles. A representative acknowledged the layoffs in a prepared statement, calling it "... a decisive action by HTC Corp (US) to streamline and optimize our organization and improve efficiencies after several years of aggressive growth." The news was first announced by The Verge, which obtained a letter from recently appointed division president Jason Mackenzie, who promised to "treat the impacted employees with the respect they deserved and provide them with resources to help bridge them to their next opportunity." We're still looking forward to bigger things ahead from HTC, but in the meantime, you'll find the company's full statement after the break.

Today's reduction in force is a decisive action by HTC Corp (US) to streamline and optimize our organization and improve efficiencies after several years of aggressive growth. Realigning its human resources against key strategic initiatives will help HTC more effectively advance into a new stage of growth and innovation. This is a hard decision that has direct impact on people who have contributed to the growth HTC has experienced the past several years. However, to achieve our long-term goals as a business and return maximum value to our shareholders, this is a necessary step to drive ongoing innovation, ensure our ability to create strong products like the HTC One, and forge strong customer relationships that solidify our future. HTC is proud of its employees and has a track record of hiring the best and brightest; we continue to hire in strategic areas and encourage impacted employees to apply for open positions that are a fit for their skills.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/14/layoffs-abound-at-htc-america/

After paying 12 million for Robert Downey Jr., now you're having problems paying for people doing some actual work. Well done, HTC!

HTC America ended its Friday evening on the somber revelation that 20 percent of its workforce would be terminated. In all, roughly 30 employees and contractors were let go from the 150-member division, which stands as the latest sign of the company's financial struggles

I really thought they were larger than that. Anyway, I'm not surprised. Many of the last generation of devices that they made was bad, and many of us who owned one will probably never own another HTC device. 

I really thought they were larger than that. Anyway, I'm not surprised. Many of the last generation of devices that they made was bad, and many of us who owned one will probably never own another HTC device.

Got that right. Unless HTC do something truly spectacular next year, I'm off to another manufacturer.