I did it... purchased Nokia 1020

Photoshop or Lightrooom should be fine though not everyone has those, we are talking big photos though, what's the size on the full 38MPix versions? I'm guessing 20-25MB?

It's around 4-5Mb. 38Mp doesn't mean it takes 38Mp picture, It uses pureview technology to use 38Mpx sensor to get 5Mpx picture.

I wish I could justify the expense, my Sony Xperia S is starting to really annoys me. Exchange work mail startingtoeatup my battery in half a day now doesn't help. Hanging when trying to call people in the contact list, I can't hear people when they call me, works fine when I all back... Really getting only nerves.

If i could at least find a decent or but they're all horribly bloated or stripped and filled with ugly gui crap.

It's around 4-5Mb. 38Mp doesn't mean it takes 38Mp picture, It uses pureview technology to use 38Mpx sensor to get 5Mpx picture.

That depends on what you chose to save. But can save a big, if not full, res picture to.

I just got my Lumia 1020 on Monday. I'm coming from a Galaxy Note [1]. I've gotten so frustrated with the slowness of my phone running a slightly modified stock rom. I've been through so much with the Note, I just wanted something that will be fast and reliable - a break from the slugishness and crashing/rebooting and battery issues.

The 1020 has been great. I'm not picky. The battery is great, the build quality is great, I get the same great coverage, of course the camera is fantastic.

The only bad part is of course the app selection. I miss an official Facebook app. The Microsoft app apparently doesn't give me notifications. Perhaps the latest modifications made in 8.1 will help this? No official Youtube app is pretty obnoxious. And lastly, it's just inconvenient my bank doesn't have a Windows Phone app.

What may end up happening is if my girlfriend likes the 1020, I'll probably get the 1520 when it comes out and she'll get the 1020. But she's pretty stubborn and probably won't like the lack of apps.

I should get it today. I'm having it shipped right to work. They know I'll be useless after I get it.  :shiftyninja:

If I don't get overly excited. I'll take some pictures unboxing it.

What are you guys doing to protecting your 1020? Are you using a cover, A film, or what? For my iPhones, I had gotten a cover and then a belt case (where it is most of the time).

I ordered off of eBay a case and a belt holster. Here is the case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380706466480

I would include a link to the holster but the auction is done. I'll upload an image when I get it.

The case is the same one I have for my Galaxy Note. It simply covers the back and sides and is textured well for grip.

The only bad part is of course the app selection. I miss an official Facebook app. The Microsoft app apparently doesn't give me notifications. Perhaps the latest modifications made in 8.1 will help this? No official Youtube app is pretty obnoxious. And lastly, it's just inconvenient my bank doesn't have a Windows Phone app.

Apps are the main reason I've never considered switching. I could live without those apps you mention, I guess, but sure don't plan to.

I've used the phone for one full day. It's very fluid and goes through it's paces without an effort. 4G is so much faster than HSPA+. And while the men in the office are complaining about Rainbow Bright throwing up on their iPhone (iOS 7), I'm excited at having a Nokia.

But there are a few things that could be better. (Not everything is about wp.)

1) Amazon didn't send me a sim card (or a packing slip), so I had to use the sim card from my iPhone, until I could hit an AT&T store, which I did today during lunch.

2) AT&T screwed up my account during the transition, so they had to fix that. Might have been a result of #1.

3) I keep hitting the search key on the phone. I'm not used to having a button in that location.

4) The windshield phone cup holder, that I have in my truck, cradles the phone in the middle, where the lock key is located. Do I have to replace everything?

5) The scrolling in applications is annoying. I wish it had an icon only option but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

6) All the AT&T software (that I had to remove).

And while many do not like iTunes, having a (simple) program that easily transfers things back and forth to the phone and keep things organized, is something Nokia/MS needs to fix.

There is still so much to learn. How do you guys handle turning on music. I listen to playlists, mostly, and having to hit the music button and scroll over to playlists, isn't really streamlined. I'm sure there is a way that I haven't found yet.

I've been very busy and haven't had too much time to play with things yet, I hope to over the weekend.

I just got my Lumia 1020 on Monday. I'm coming from a Galaxy Note [1]. I've gotten so frustrated with the slowness of my phone running a slightly modified stock rom. I've been through so much with the Note, I just wanted something that will be fast and reliable - a break from the slugishness and crashing/rebooting and battery issues.

The 1020 has been great. I'm not picky. The battery is great, the build quality is great, I get the same great coverage, of course the camera is fantastic.

What may end up happening is if my girlfriend likes the 1020, I'll probably get the 1520 when it comes out and she'll get the 1020. But she's pretty stubborn and probably won't like the lack of apps.

so, do you miss the s-pen and note taking on the note? i have rhs note 2, tho.

5) The scrolling in applications is annoying. I wish it had an icon only option but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

what do you mean?

There is still so much to learn. How do you guys handle turning on music. I listen to playlists, mostly, and having to hit the music button and scroll over to playlists, isn't really streamlined. I'm sure there is a way that I haven't found yet.

Pin the playlists to your start screen.

The procam app takes both 38 megapixel images and produces the 5megapixel versions (you can change in the settings if you want the app to keep the high res versions or not) The stock app only keeps the 5 megapixel ones.  The stock app opens faster so if you do a lot of picture taking that needs to happen quickly set the stock app as default. If you do not mind a little slowness when opening the app with the cam button then keep procam  as the default. I count the procam app taken 7 seconds  to open up.

7 seconds?  The longest I could get the load time up to was 3 seconds. (And that was under load with background Apps maxing the CPU.)

Let's start a pool for the inevitable "I did it... switched back to iOS or Android".

Put me down for 8 months from now.  No whammy!

Sometimes I wonder if people don't have anything better to do than troll other peoples threads when they buy a new device with "you should have bought this instead" or "you'll switch back in xxx"

Forget the official youtube, the best youtube app is Metrotube.  Also, you can enable the lockscreen to show the notifications from facebook. 

Sometimes I wonder if people don't have anything better to do than troll other peoples threads when they buy a new device with "you should have bought this instead" or "you'll switch back in xxx"

Are you trying to be ironic?

I've used the phone for one full day. It's very fluid and goes through it's paces without an effort. 4G is so much faster than HSPA+. And while the men in the office are complaining about Rainbow Bright throwing up on their iPhone (iOS 7), I'm excited at having a Nokia.

But there are a few things that could be better. (Not everything is about wp.)

1) Amazon didn't send me a sim card (or a packing slip), so I had to use the sim card from my iPhone, until I could hit an AT&T store, which I did today during lunch.

2) AT&T screwed up my account during the transition, so they had to fix that. Might have been a result of #1.

3) I keep hitting the search key on the phone. I'm not used to having a button in that location.

4) The windshield phone cup holder, that I have in my truck, cradles the phone in the middle, where the lock key is located. Do I have to replace everything?

6) All the AT&T software (that I had to remove).

And while many do not like iTunes, having a (simple) program that easily transfers things back and forth to the phone and keep things organized, is something Nokia/MS needs to fix.

I've been very busy and haven't had too much time to play with things yet, I hope to over the weekend.

Music and video...

Use your local Apps to sync. Simple, straight forward. 

(Anything can be pinned to the main screen, so you don't have to dig around for your favorite playlists, artists, etc.)  (This also works with most software on WP8, especially other music Apps, for example in Vevo, pin your favorite artists, stations and never have to dig inside an App again.)

You might also consider a better solution and opt for the Xbox Music Pass. This gives you access to 'all' music and lets you manage everything on the phone or download whatever you want whenever.  Hear a new song, download it, as it is a subscription service.  It also works well to keep all your music the same everywhere.  It also gives you access to the music on other computers and devices and is accessible via the web: http://music.xbox.com

---------------------

For all other content...

Learn and Use SkyDrive. Put anything you want on your phone on SkyDrive, it is that simple.  Then you always have 'everything' you could possibly want on your phone.  (The phone intelligently 'caches' your documents, pictures, etc. ; so things you use are always available even if you don't have a network connection. So if you want to 'force' a document or PDF to be on the phone, open it once via SkyDrive and the phone will make sure it is available for you.)

Even with gbs of data and 500,000+ documents going back to the early 90s, and I can search for anything instantly, and open it on my phone no matter how obscure it might be. (There are some real advantages to SkyDrive over 'other' services besides how well it integrates with WP8.) 

-----------

Coming from any other smartphone/ecosystem, there are going to be adjustments and relearning of things.  Some things will not be as elegant and some things will be far more elegant.

Also notice you never have to worry about things crashing, something Android and iOS just can't compete in terms of stability.

Good luck....

Well, I did it. I purchased the Nokia 1020 from Amazon for $158.99 (total). I looked at a black one at the AT&T store this morning but I didn't like the color and white, well, it's white. I should get it Tuesday or Wednesday.

I lose 2 apps. My local bank (they don't have a windows phone app) and Dish Network app but I may be able to use the Sling app (but I'm not sure). I didn't use either app very much. All the other apps, I should be able to get or substitute with others.

The bigger screen, camera, and MS Office were the main reasons why I purchased it.

PS

Forget to mention this for High Resolution Photos on the Mac...

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/09/19/nokia-photo-transfer-for-mac/

Let's start a pool for the inevitable "I did it... switched back to iOS or Android".

Put me down for 8 months from now.  No whammy!

what would be more fun is if we have a pool for how long until your inferiority complex wears off

put me down for never.

I remember hearing about how great the Lumia 920 camera was and honestly it's not as good as I heard people write/review about. I never get decent picture quality on it compared to my old work iPhone 4s. Lots of blurry pics on it although I do get some decent ones now and then. 

I must be holding it wrong. lol

I get notifications from the toast area at the top on my 920. Did you turn yours on?

I get notifications from the toast area at the top on my 920. Did you turn yours on?

I noticed that I got a toast when someone posted to my wall directly but I used to be able to get notifications for any update, status, or post by any friend even if it didn't relate to me.

Question... If you purchased a 1020 from Amazon, did you get ear buds? I didn't get any.

Interesting read....

Nokia Lumia 1020 review: View from the top

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_1020-review-989.php

I got mine straight from AT&T and I didn't get any either. I was pretty disappointed honestly I was looking forward to them since my headset at my PC is USB.