Photo

Windows 8.1 (RTM) + Atheros AR9250 Wi-Fi Issues?

Answered Go to the full post win8.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James123

James123

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:51

Hi,

I've just installed the Windows 8.1 RTM from MSDN (clean install), I'm having a strange issue with my AR9250 Wi-Fi, a lot of sites won't load at all. It worked fine for the first few hours after installing, but now problems have started.

I've tried different drivers (the default Windows one, and Atheros 10.0.0.251) but the same problem occurs. If I go through LAN (AR8151) rather than Wi-Fi everything loads fine.

Can anyone think of anything that would cause this? It worked fine under both Windows 7 and Windows 8, the only applications I've installed is Visual Studio 2013 RC, VIM and Chrome, but this happens in every web browser.

Thanks.

Best Answer James123 , 15 September 2013 - 13:41

Yeah, pings are fine, no lost packets. The speed is fine too, on speedtests: Download Speed: 77337 kbps (9667.1KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 29290 kbps (3661.3 KB/sec). It's just several sites not loading, seems odd.

edit: For some reason in Network Connections my AR9285 was bridged (to something), removing the bridge fixed the issue. I have no idea why it was marked as a bridged connection though.

Go to the full post

#2 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:36

Are your pings solid, no lost packets or anything like that?

#3 OP James123

James123

Neowinian

Posted 15 September 2013 - 13:41   Best Answer

Yeah, pings are fine, no lost packets. The speed is fine too, on speedtests: Download Speed: 77337 kbps (9667.1KB/sec ) Upload Speed: 29290 kbps (3661.3 KB/sec). It's just several sites not loading, seems odd.

edit: For some reason in Network Connections my AR9285 was bridged (to something), removing the bridge fixed the issue. I have no idea why it was marked as a bridged connection though.

#4 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:36

Do you have Client Hyper-V installed? That would be a reason for having a "bridged" connection becuase it creates a virtual switch to share your LAN connection with your host OS. 

I would not disable that unless you plan on not keeping your VMs or they will loose connectivity. This could also interfere with licensing/activation on those VMs. Be careful. 

#5 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 September 2013 - 13:00

Friend left his account logged in on my computer   :/ 

#6 OP James123

James123

Neowinian

Posted 18 September 2013 - 13:06

Do you have Client Hyper-V installed? That would be a reason for having a "bridged" connection becuase it creates a virtual switch to share your LAN connection with your host OS. 

I would not disable that unless you plan on not keeping your VMs or they will loose connectivity. This could also interfere with licensing/activation on those VMs. Be careful. 

Ah, that was probably the reason. With Visual Studio 2013 RC I installed the WP8 Development toolkit which enables HyperV.

I had no choice other than to disable the bridge, it was preventing a lot of websites from working, do you know why it would have been doing this?

#7 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 18 September 2013 - 17:34

Did you tick the option to "allow management operating system to use this interface" in the virtual switch settings??