#16 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

• 629 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 15:27

She didn't what?

A) Make racially insensitive comments?

B) Get a standing ovation?

A) She used the "N word".  A white person using that word publicly is insensitive.  I never said she was a bigot nor did I label her as racist, I simply state she used a racially insensitive word.

B) This whole article states that she did get a standing ovation

So let me redirect your accusation of trolling back at yourself.

Lets not even go there with the use of the N word and being insensitive.

He probably means that she did not get a standing ovation FOR using the N word.  She got it because shes trying to make a come back after a lot of people thought she was wronged and the whole case against her was dropped.

#17 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,372 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 15:28

He probably means that she did not get a standing ovation FOR using the N word.

Valid comment and clarification.  Thank you!

if the black community wanted people to stop using the word they should stop using the word also.

LONG debate could be had around that, and part of me agrees and part of me could argue against.

#18 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 19:56

You might want to check your facts.

See what Growled said. She got so such thing for what she said.

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 27,190 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:01

What I find funny is what got her in trouble in the first place.

So she admitted to using the N word.... She's from the south for god sake! People were surprised by this?

#20 Digit12345

Digit12345

Neowinian

• 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:20

What I find funny is what got her in trouble in the first place.

So she admitted to using the N word.... She's from the south for god sake! People were surprised by this?

And didn't she also say it's been decades since she used it? Kinda ridiculous for something like that to be blown out of proportion by the PC crowd.

#21 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,364 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:21

Why did she get a standing ovation for making racially insensitive comments?

i really don't think that's why they were giving her a standing ovation.....

#22 astrokat

astrokat

Neowinian Feline

• 1,273 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:25

It kind of sounds like you are saying that the black community got together and said that they are going to use the N word, but nobody else can.  Not every back person uses the N word.  I will go on a limb and say most don't.   There is a lot of different meaning in the last symbol of the word.  ER = automatically racist.  A = term of affection, term of ignorance or ALSO automatically racist.  The latter is used by hispanics, white people and black people sometimes interchangeably  - and is "completely acceptable"  It's all about intent and environment.  It is completely ridiculous how such a negative word has so many different rules.  To play it safe .. JUST DONT USE IT!!!!   There is no doubt that Paula used this word in a derogatory sense.  It is not a valid argument at all to say black people use this word, so I am too.  She used it to discredit, to hurt, and to claim herself superior.  Now she herself is discredited, hurt and inferior.    Did she deserve to be crucified?  When you are in the public eye, you have a responsibility to act with compassion and as a model citizen.

#23 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• 3,109 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:27

Is it really any surprise she picked one of the most racist, right-wing states in the country?

That doesn't really explain Ann Richards or Lyndon B. Johnson.

#24 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:30

It kind of sounds like you are saying that the black community got together and said that they are going to use the N word, but nobody else can.  Not every back person uses the N word.  I will go on a limb and say most don't.   There is a lot of different meaning in the last symbol of the word.  ER = automatically racist.  A = term of affection, term of ignorance or ALSO automatically racist.  The latter is used by hispanics, white people and black people sometimes interchangeably  - and is "completely acceptable"  It's all about intent and environment.  It is completely ridiculous how such a negative word has so many different rules.  To play it safe .. JUST DONT USE IT!!!!   There is no doubt that Paula used this word in a derogatory sense.  It is not a valid argument at all to say black people use this word, so I am too.  She used it to discredit, to hurt, and to claim herself superior.  Now she herself is discredited, hurt and inferior.    Did she deserve to be crucified?  When you are in the public eye, you have a responsibility to act with compassion and as a model citizen.

While this may be true, should it really apply to something said so long ago? The whole situation is utterly ridiculous and, in my opinion, it actually weakens the cause of equality.

#25 Digit12345

Digit12345

Neowinian

• 109 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:31

I agree with everything you're saying, but isn't she getting crucified for what she said decades ago? I don't recall her ever being called out for being a racist ever since she became a celebrity, until recently anyway.

Edit: Xenosion beat me to it.

#26 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• 20,381 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:34

She didn't what?

A) Make racially insensitive comments?

B) Get a standing ovation?

A) She used the "N word".  A white person using that word publicly is insensitive.  I never said she was a bigot nor did I label her as racist, I simply state she used a racially insensitive word.

B) This whole article states that she did get a standing ovation

So let me redirect your accusation of trolling back at yourself.

As Growled said, "She got a standing ovation to show their support of her, and not the comments she made. She messed up, we all do sometimes."

#27 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• 2,469 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:47

I didn't (and still don't) really understand why everyone was making such a big deal over something she said over 20yrs ago. As Peter Griffin says "Who the hell cares?" lol

#28 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 20:54

It boggles my mind why this is so important to people. All this is doing is setting back equality in the same way as scratching at a scab. Overall, we're all homogenizing just fine over time. Leave the radicalism alone and let us move along. Crucifying people doesn't inherently promote your cause and in this case, like I said, it acts to weaken it.

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 00:45

And didn't she also say it's been decades since she used it? Kinda ridiculous for something like that to be blown out of proportion by the PC crowd.

That's what I thought too but you know how things go these days. Given a chance to over-react to something that doesn't amount to anything, people will.

#30 Euphoria

Euphoria

--- eüphorïå ---

• 2,353 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 00:57

Now, did she use it as an adjective to say that she is or was "niger rich"? :D