Power Mac G4 Quick silver

Hey guys,

A few days ago i got a power mac g4 quick silver off of craigslist. When i want to boot it i need to wipe the Pram every time. Does any one have any idea why this is?

thanks for the help,

Matt

Looks like the PRAM battery is weak or even dead (i suspect that if it was dead the PB G4 won't even start at all); you can replace the PRAM battery, but that can cost you since it's a old part...

Go to display preferences in system prefs, change resolution to something other than the current/optimal display resolution, change it back to the optimal resolution, then reboot+reset PRAM again. See if that fixes it. I presume you're running OS X.

Are you noticing that the date and time reset after every boot? If so, you need a new clock battery. They shouldn't be that hard to find - the battery code should be written on the battery itself - search for it on eBay. Thankfully, all Power Macs are really easy to service!

Another thing you could try is to reset the PMU: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939

Is there 2 different batteries?

Nope, only one.

So my suggestions above didn't help? Did you install the OS yourself, or did it come preloaded?

You might like to try this one fix, which is to reset the non-volatile memory, or NVRAM using open firmware.

To boot into open firmware, hold down the cmd-option-O-F key combination at power on until you get a white terminal screen with dark lettering. Type the following three commands:

*reset-nvram <cr>*
*set-defaults <cr>*
*reset-all <cr>*

The last command will cause a reboot. It may do some good, it may not.

Retrieved from: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2811159?start=0&tstart=0