Xbone marketing at its finest!

Is this confirmed real? or some sony fanboy trolling in the Xbox One subreddit again? If true, the beta testing one is pretty poor.

My reaction to the ad:  

post-62693-0-01889500-1379350278.jpg

Most people here called it the 360. I think most people will call the XBox One simply the One. Still not really better than Xbone imo.

Most people just call it Xbox.

as techie yourself, what kind of 'messages' from both advertising your see?

That it's got great graphics and they have tested it to be future proof, a double meaning that its tested for stability, but also that they can and will expand functionality of the Xbox in the future.

as techie yourself, what kind of 'messages' from both advertising your see?

1. @gamers The one was designed by Richard Glenn and Serge Monast esoterisme-exp.com #EsoterismeExperimental

2. @gamers We have not tested the One yet so buy at your own risk #RRoD2

• Like 1

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just curious why so many feel the need to be that immature, 

Because Internet.

It's really quite simple.  As massively childish as it is, the instant I saw the name XBox One, it was blatantly obvious to me that pretty much everyone was going to start calling it the XBone, or variations thereof.

Microsoft really have no one to blame for the nickname but themselves.  If they'd called it the Xbox Infinity instead, people would just have called it the BinFinity instead.

Gamers will be gamers, and what games mostly are, is juveline.

Why mention beta testing to the general public? That one specifically is really stupid.

just like that at&t nokia lumia ad (was it the 820?  900? i dont remember) stating that you were a beta tester of every previous smart phone that came before it. then they announced windows phone 8.   the irony.

(for sh!*ts and giggles)

I don't understand why you're getting so bent out of shape about the console's nickname. It seems like you're taking it personally which is kind of disturbing. Also, labeling anyone who uses the phrase "xbone" as a fanboy with no valid opinions is completely ignorant.

"POS4" doesn't even make sense. There is no "O" anywhere in Playstation. So not only does it not make sense, but it's not even an analogous comparison to Xbone.

Actually POS4 = Piece of ###### 4  :rofl:

As has been said, ads job is to get your attention and talk abut it, real or not, it's done it's job it seems because the haters can't stop talking about the XB1 at all.   One would think that if you don't care for a product you'd ignore it instead of feel some need to bash it.   Too much to ask for I guess.

Why mention beta testing to the general public? That one specifically is really stupid.

I duno, why is Best buy saying in all their ad's "Beta tested, user approved".... that makes no sense to the general public either

I don't understand why you're getting so bent out of shape about the console's nickname. It seems like you're taking it personally which is kind of disturbing. Also, labeling anyone who uses the phrase "xbone" as a fanboy with no valid opinions is completely ignorant.

The issue is that 'Xbone' is a pejorative term, just like 'M$' or 'Scroogle'. It is designed primarily to make a negative statement about the product rather than to simply identify it. Anybody using such a term should be dismissed out of hand, as they are too biased to comment objectively.

The issue is that 'Xbone' is a pejorative term, just like 'MS' or 'Scroogle'. It is designed primarily to make a negative statement about the product rather than to simply identify it. Anybody using such a term should be dismissed out of hand, as they are too biased to comment objectively.

Since when is "MS" a derogatory abbreviation? Do you mean "M$"? In which case, yes I agree with you. However, "xbone" is a perfectly acceptable shorthand for "XBOX One".

"XO" doesn't work because that is an abbreviation for "Executive Officer". Also, it's used to express "hugs and kisses" in informal writing.

"X1" is both a company and a Comcast product, so that's out. And to me, personally, I would interpret that as the original Xbox.

"XONE" doesn't work because then it would be pronounced "zone" and it's used by a lot of different entities.

So what other abbreviation or shorthand do you suggest? More likely than anything, this is only a problem during the cross-gen interim where both the 360 and the Xbox One are "current". Once the Xbox One becomes the main MS console people will just refer to it as "xbox".

Regardless, it still stands that those of you taking offense to the name "xbone" just need to lighten up. Unless, of course, you are actually the MS employee who is directly responsible for the "Xbox One" name. Then sure, by all means feel offended.

Since when is "MS" a derogatory abbreviation? Do you mean "MS"? In which case, yes I agree with you. However, "xbone" is a perfectly acceptable shorthand for "XBOX One".

"XO" doesn't work because that is an abbreviation for "Executive Officer". Also, it's used to express "hugs and kisses" in informal writing.

"X1" is both a company and a Comcast product, so that's out. And to me, personally, I would interpret that as the original Xbox.

"XONE" doesn't work because then it would be pronounced "zone" and it's used by a lot of different entities.

So what other abbreviation or shorthand do you suggest? More likely than anything, this is only a problem during the cross-gen interim where both the 360 and the Xbox One are "current". Once the Xbox One becomes the main MS console people will just refer to it as "xbox".

Regardless, it still stands that those of you taking offense to the name "xbone" just need to lighten up. Unless, of course, you are actually the MS employee who is directly responsible for the "Xbox One" name. Then sure, by all means feel offended.

I am pretty sure he meant to type M$ :p

Edit : WTF! Neowin is changing M $ into M S :s :huh:

bad marketing is free marketing? 

Only to the "everything, and I mean everything Microsoft does is brilliant" crowd that hangs around this site. They were even cheering the shameful iPhone smear ad that MS frantically retracted a few days ago.

I am pretty sure he meant to type MS :p

Edit : WTF! Neowin is changing M $ into M S :s :huh:

Haha, that makes sense. I was reading the posts thinking "MS" is derogatory? :laugh:

Since when is "MS" a derogatory abbreviation? Do you mean "MS"? In which case, yes I agree with you.

I meant M $ - the forum autocorrects the spelling.

However, "xbone" is a perfectly acceptable shorthand for "XBOX One".

X1 or XOne, though obviously the former would be preferable given that it is designed to make typing the name quicker. As I said, Xbone / XBone is clearly pejorative - you can try to justify it all you like but that doesn't change anything. I simply won't take anyone who uses it seriously.

X1 or XOne, though obviously the former would be preferable given that it is designed to make typing the name quicker. As I said, Xbone / XBone is clearly pejorative - you can try to justify it all you like but that doesn't change anything. I simply won't take anyone who uses it seriously.

+1, removing 2 letters and a space is not going to save you a bunch of time saying and/or typing.  calling it just xbox will save you even more time if thats what you are going for.

• Like 1

I meant MS.

Whether you think "XBone" is pejorative or not is really irrelevant. It's already become the de-facto shorthand name for the XBox One, and it's not going anywhere. Accept it.

Whether you think "XBone" is pejorative or not is really irrelevant. It's already become the de-facto shorthand name for the XBox One, and it's not going anywhere.

It's become the go-to term for Sony fans but hasn't been accepted by Microsoft fans. Xbone makes no sense as a contraction because it's longer than XOne or X1.

Well these two lines are ok I guess.  Personally, I don't really like them, but it seems like this kind of stuff comes and goes.  I remember never liking the PS3 'It Only Does Everything' slogan this gen, but that didn't hurt Sony in the long run.

The beta tested one is the better of the two since it is a bit easier to understand at first glance then the other one to me.  Still, it could be simpler and clearer.

I liked the 'Jump In' slogan for the 360.  It was very simple and even catchy.

Since these are two different lines, it makes me think they are just testing out some ideas, doing a test run on a billboard or something.  The first X1 commercial they ran during the NFL did not use either of these lines, so we will see what the official slogan seems to be when they use one in a commercial.

It's become the go-to term for Sony fans but hasn't been accepted by Microsoft fans. Xbone makes no sense as a contraction because it's longer than XOne or X1.

I'm a so called "Microsoft fan", I call it the XBone, as do all the folks I know.

It's just a name, who cares? Get over it, dude.  It's here to stay now, MS's own fault for calling it that.

Also, it doesn't have to be a contraction to become a nickname.

I'm a so called "Microsoft fan", I call it the XBone, as do all the folks I know.

Fine, good for you. But as I said, I don't take anybody seriously who uses that term.