• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• 1,710 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:40

Oh come on, they're quite tacky and lame but MS clearly means business with this much of an advertisement drive this early on. The average joe will just be really excited to see advertisements of a new console generation.

I didnt say they don't mean business, but these ads are sending the wrong message imo, if you can even figure out what the message is supposed to be.

#17 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• 1,230 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:43

I didnt say they don't mean business, but these ads are sending the wrong message imo, if you can even figure out what the message is supposed to be.

There's no message, its more so a "f*ck yes new console". For example, if I was a kid or a dude who was remotely into gaming, I'd just be excited to see that the new cycle of consoles was coming. They're just there to generate excitement.

#18 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,990 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:55

which still the team fault why this happens.
They have all the time to came up with better name for the new console,
and predicts how people might reacts and call it instead.

And yet they whine because they got the hints that the reality is not what they hope to be.

It's not the name that's the problem, it's trolls deliberately spelling the number out, so that it says "bone". Did people call the Xbox 360 the "XThreeSixty"? No, it was just the "360". There are plenty of shorter alternatives than "Xbone" so shortening it down isn't the excuse. There's X1, XOne for examples.

#19 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

• 1,530 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:06

Guys please, don't hate too much on the reporters, after all the tagline is 'Where unprofessional journalism looks better'

the tragedy is. unprofessional journalism at neowin _does not_ look better.

#20 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:35

Just wait for John to find these. He will post it along with a misleading title and factually incorrect article to go with it.

Give me a break. You may not always agree with what John writes, but I can't recall seeing anything "factually incorrect" from him. If he has gotten something wrong -- we're all human -- I doubt it's something that happens often.

I also don't see a "misleading title" in any of his most recent articles.

#21 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,506 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:26

Let's stick to the point of the thread rather than attacking another member of the community (yes, staff members and writers are members of the community). If nothing else it is breaking the community rules.

That said, I've got little to add to the topic. The "Beta tested from the future" makes some sense - I think they're trying to point out that the console will be future-proof - but the "if it were any more real it would be real" advert is just horrible wording for what it is trying to say.

But as others have pointed out, this is just an attempt to raise some hype. I hardly think its main intention is to get newcomers interested, but more for the people that are already looking forward to its release.

#22 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,866 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:04

it doesnt make any sense... beta tested in the future? does that mean its a alpha level console and when you buy it its beta tested by millions of people with the real hardware coming out like a year later?

#23 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,930 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:12

the xbox policy definitely in 'alpha' stage though ...

#24 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,009 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:15

Why mention beta testing to the general public? That one specifically is really stupid.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,494 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:45

Why mention beta testing to the general public? That one specifically is really stupid.

Because these adverts are targeted specifically at techies, it to far ahead to beta regretted at the general public. Bt you knew this.

#26 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,930 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:55

and any case 'beta tested in the future' is deceiving adverts as we all know thats are not the case,

unless of course MSFT admit that XBone are still in 'alpha' stage.

#27 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,350 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:07

These can't be genuine, surely? They're the sort of thing Sony fans would put out to discredit Microsoft. If they're genuine then they're shockingly bad.

#28 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 1,195 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:10

Probably the same marketing team that was behind the Lumia 900 beta test ad. At least this time you won't be outdated in a hurry (if you don't count the PC).

#29 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,521 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:28

It's not the name that's the problem, it's trolls deliberately spelling the number out, so that it says "bone". Did people call the Xbox 360 the "XThreeSixty"? No, it was just the "360". There are plenty of shorter alternatives than "Xbone" so shortening it down isn't the excuse. There's X1, XOne for examples.

X1 = Xbox 1 (the original)

Xbone = XBox One

The official name of the console is "XBox One", with the "one" spelled out. The official name of the 360 is "XBox 360", not "XBox Three Sixty" which is why no one short-hands it by spelling out the numbers.

Also, Microsoft bought the domain name "xbone.com" so it's now an official abbreviation for the console, whether the "team" likes it or not.

On topic, both slogans are ridiculous in my opinion. The "real" one doesn't make any sense, and the "beta" one implies that the console is still in development and will go into beta in the future. i.e. those who buy it will have to deal with bugs and other beta-related issues. It just doesn't imply anything good to me. And, yes I know that's not the case, but this is an ad targeted at the general public.

#30 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• 4,934 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:33

look at all the marketing experts on the internet. zoink