Miss America crowns 1st winner of Indian descent; racist tweets flow

Miss America crowns 1st winner of Indian descent; racist tweets flow

(CNN) -- No sooner had the tiara been placed atop her head than a barrage of racist tweets flooded the Internet.

"If you're #Miss America you should have to be American," said one.

"WHEN WILL A WHITE WOMAN WIN #MISSAMERICA? Ever??!!" screamed another.

Nina Davuluri is American. She just happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America.

But the tweets that followed the 2014 pageant in Atlantic City on Sunday night didn't focus on how it's the second consecutive year that a Miss New York has taken the crown, or about the judge's questions (including ones about Miley Cyrus and Syria).

They were about Davuluri's heritage.

"Well they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must've made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote," vented one person.

Not that it bears pointing out, but Davuluri's not a Muslim -- and the president didn't have a vote.

The 24-year-old Davuluri, who's from Syracuse, competed on a platform of "Celebrating Diversity through Cultural Competency." For the talent portion, she performed a classical Indian dance fused with Bollywood moves.

"The liberal Miss America judges won't say this - but Miss Kansas lost because she actually represented American values. #missamerica." That was Todd Starnes, host of Fox News and Commentary.

"Miss America? You mean Miss 7-11," tweeted Jalin Leatherman, perpetuating the tired stereotype about Indians and convenience stores.

Davuluri's father is a physician. And she wants to be one too. She once battled bulimia, according to a profile of her on syracuse.com.

Being a trailblazer isn't easy. When Rima Fakih was crowned Miss USA in 2010, she faced a nasty backlash as well. Fakih is of Lebanese descent, and many were quick to try to link her to the militant group Hezbollah.

In Davuluri's case, many tweeters wasted no time connecting her to terrorism.

Miss America right now or miss Al Qaeda?" tweeted Shannon McCann.

Others invoked the September 11, 2001, terror attacks. Yes, really.

"9/11 was 4 days ago and she gets miss America?" posted Luke Brasili.

For her part, Davuluri didn't immediately respond.

But many, turned off by the reaction, turned off Twitter and turned in for the night.

"I'm not going to click on #MissAmerica. I could do without a whole bunch of racism directed at brown people right now. Thanks," tweeted Josh Shahryar.

But there were plenty who came to her defense.

"i think its amazing that @NinaDavuluri was crowned Miss America. THIS is the american story," tweeted drummer Questlove.

And finally, there were those who tweeted variations on "Deal with it!"

"meanwhile in america, our country's citizens have officially reached their lowest point. #MissAmerica is Indian; GET OVER IT," wrote Mariah Contreras.

Well said, Maria, well said.

Source: CNN

The racist tweets disgust me. 

Some of the responses in this thread are not any different than those being reported by CNN.  Not all Americans are racists or bigots or backwater jerkoffs.  The internet gives people around the world a platform to vent their opinions, their hate or whatever they wish whether we like it or not.

Some of the responses in this thread are not any different than those being reported by CNN.  Not all Americans are racists or bigots or backwater jerkoffs.  The internet gives people around the world a platform to vent their opinions, their hate or whatever they wish whether we like it or not.

Not all, but a lot are and they are speaking for the country. It is part of american culture to be intolerant of others.

Not all, but a lot are and they are speaking for the country. It is part of american culture to be intolerant of others.

Pure nonsense and very ignorant.  Yes there are racists and bigots in America, but they are not the majority, far from it.

I am quoting someone else but

Twitter reminds me of Game of Thrones: there are 140 characters and terrible things happen.

Actually, this is not Twitter's fault: Twitter is just a platform for some idiots who believe that being racist douchebags is ok and that they are free from facing the consequences.

• Like 3

Love the America bashing in this thread, despite the fact that these ###### don't represent America, and that every country has plenty of people like this. Kind of ironic when you're talking about ignorance.

OT: people like this need to leave the gene pool asap.

• Like 3

It's certainly not a majority I wouldn't say, but this type of racism is far more widespread than some of you seem to want to admit. It very much depends on where you live though. Come live in the south for a little while. Racism is damn sure alive and kicking here. It's pretty disgusting, but don't forget that a lot of these attitudes are bred from the media and government making anyone who isn't white look like a terrorist, and the ignorance of those who believe that. Racism is sadly still VERY much alive in this county.

You would think that over the years racism and intolerance like this wouldn't exist.  Should round up all these racist *******s and put them in a position where they are the minority.  Then see how they like being ridiculed, laughed at, beaten, and made to feel like a low form of life.  Maybe then they will think about their actions before following thru with them.

America is a melting pot of many different ethnicity/people from around the world.  We should be the most tolerant of any country but instead, we are the least tolerant.  Considering the history of the US, that is just sad.

Imbeciles tweet imbecilic things.

I often wonder whether these tweets are sincere or if it is just trolls ######ing with the mainstream. I am sure there are some uncultured, red-neck, hill-billy types who bash away at their keyboard, but surely they are in the minority and don't really represent a general attitude. Given the content of some of those tweets, it is hard to believe they are serious.

• Like 2

Pure nonsense and very ignorant.  Yes there are racists and bigots in America, but they are not the majority, far from it.

I've been to America(and many americans been here), and I've noticed. With most americans, racism is part of their culture. Looking down on anything that isn't you (white usually). Either against blacks or Mexicans and since the last decade or so, muslims.

Saying I'm the ignorant one, while you obviously have not spoken to a lot of Muricans, cause you'd find out, more then half of the Muricans are racists. Which makes it the democratic majority.

Time and time again, americans that come here are surprised we don't have those ghetto issues or Texan mumbo-jumbo. And that we (western) Europeans don't seem to give a rats ass (in general) about the origin of a person.

Even your American 'N*gger' bull, where if I say that word as a white boy, the chances of me getting shot, stabbed or beaten to a pulp are very, very high in most American cities. While here the worst I get is some bloke staring at me and telling me to go f*ck myself.

And everyone acting like America is not racist and its the obvious minority doing this, stop being a left winged hippie and stop ignoring issues in your country. If you keep ignoring it and not notice what the rest of the world obviously sees... The American race problem is NEVER going anywhere.

• Like 2

I wish a Native American would win. My woman is a Native American, there's a lot of racism showed towards them as well. While all the focus is on the racism towards blacks, there is a lot of racism showed towards Native Americans but no one seems to talk about it in the mass media.

• Like 3

I wish a Native American would win. My woman is a Native American, there's a lot of racism showed towards them as well. While all the focus is on the racism towards blacks, there is a lot of racism showed towards Native Americans but no one seems to talk about it in the mass media.

Indigenous people are usually overlooked when it comes to racism, disadvantage, persecution, etc. In Australia, many of the Aboriginal population live in abject poverty and disadvantage and no one seems to care, and if you are non-indigenous and talk about it you're branded all sort of stupid/racist things (###### lover/white hating,self-hating/naive/stupid etc.) I think it is a national source of shame and embarrassment how the indigenous people of my country have been treated.

• Like 2

Indigenous people are usually overlooked when it comes to racism, disadvantage, persecution, etc. In Australia, many of the Aboriginal population live in abject poverty and disadvantage and no one seems to care, and if you are non-indigenous and talk about it you're branded all sort of stupid/racist things (<< racial epithet >> lover/white hating,self-hating/naive/stupid etc.) I think it is a national source of shame and embarrassment how the indigenous people of my country have been treated.

Yep lots of Native Americans are living in poverty. My GF used to live on a reservation, she said she lived in a half burnt out trailer.
  • Like 1

I think indigenous people in every country live in poverty. The situation described in Australia is almost identical here in Canada. However, most natives I have met are incredibly lazy to do anything that is even remotely productive.

• Like 1

i'm not racist don't get me wrong i know lot of white people that they are very nice people very good people , but the white man are the reason the are so much racist. just look  in the pass white people kill,abuse the black people just cuz the color of the skin, even the hate Latino. and i'm not illegal i come from Puerto Rico. the hate me . but i ignore them , the Original GENUINE American are the Native AmericAN iNDIAN!!!  the people in this country immigrant just look at your ancestor .

I posted it earlier on Facebook.. makes me sick. She was born here just like any of the people tweeting these things. They're descended from an immigrant, too, and they had just as much control of their own birthplace and the decisions of their forefathers as Nina did.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

• Like 3

i'm not racist don't get me wrong i know lot of white people that they are very nice people very good people , but the white man are the reason the are so much racist. just look  in the pass white people kill,abuse the black people just cuz the color of the skin, even the hate Latino. and i'm not illegal i come from Puerto Rico. the hate me . but i ignore them , the Original GENUINE American are the Native AmericAN iNDIAN!!!  the people in this country immigrant just look at your ancestor .

While Europeans are certainly guilty of racism, racism isn't uniquely European. Many races/cultures have abused and mistreated other races for personal gain. Members of the same "race" have mistreated each other. Ask an Irish person how they or their ancestors were treated by the English, for example. It's also worthwhile looking at some of the racism that exists in places like Asia. There is plenty of racist barbs traded between the Chinese and Japanese, for example.

Race to me seems to be one of the most ridiculous and absurd things to judge a person on. At that rate, why not judge them on height, or gender, or eye colour? All of those things are equally out of one's control. Treat people with a bit of respect and courtesy and in the overwhelming majority of instances with people they will reciprocate. If they don't, then maybe they are just jerks.

• Like 3