microsoft tablets pc windows

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Tk1917

Tk1917

Neowinian

• 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:08

It’s obvious that Microsoft knows that tablets are the future for consumer computing. They’ve invested and continue to invest heavily on the platform, both in hardware and software. The win they’re courting is the creation of an ecosystem where consumers seek out the triple crown of technology exclusively from Microsoft – a Windows phone, Xbox media in the living room and a tablet for everything in between with consumable media being bought through the online Microsoft store. But in their hustle to push Windows 8, the touch-friendly device OS, onto everything, including laptops and desktops, have they considered that growth in tablets will cannibalise sales in PCs, the device of choice for business?

#2 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• 7,282 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:16

It doesn't.

#3 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,668 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:18

I agree with Mike.  What does Joe Somebody need with an i7 processor if he has a Core 2 Duo and only uses Facebook and email?

The problem is the performance enhancements these days are not for the general user.  The general user no longer needs to upgrade every year.

Even a Pentium 4 is good enough for email and facebook.  The general user does not care if they launch program X Y seconds faster!

#4 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,649 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:24

It doesn't.

I agree with Mike.  What does Joe Somebody need with an i7 processor if he has a Core 2 Duo and only uses Facebook and email?

The problem is the performance enhancements these days are not for the general user.  The general user no longer needs to upgrade every year.

Even a Pentium 4 is good enough for email and facebook.  The general user does not care if they launch program X Y seconds faster!

Agreed, tablets go only so far concercing productivity... Yes they can be used for autocad, powerpoint, the likes, but they simply won't ever match the ease and performance of using a PC, at least not in the next 10 years... Every time I see someone carry a tablet it's for facebook on the go, angry birds or taking pictures  :huh:  i'd say out of 100 people I say anywhere, 90 aren't doing jackshit productivity wise. AGAIN, not saying this is the defacto, but atm, it's the majority.

#5 Night Prowler

Night Prowler

Root Access

• 1,068 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 13:42

Microsoft is basically concerned with their software sales, as this has been where all their profits come from.

Microsoft is seeing the trending towards tablets, and thats why we are seeing Microsoft enter the tablet market (RT and Pro). Microsoft has set what they believe should be the standards (starting point) for Windows tablets. It's now up to the OEM's to push this along.

The future of the desktop PC has been in question for years. If the desktop PC dies, it's all on the OEM's.

My home desktop PC is going to retire as soon as the Surface Pro 2 is released.

#6 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,920 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:00

It doesn't.

Agreed.  They target two different needs...

#7 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 10,418 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:04

I'll retire my desktop PC when I can put 2 GTX Titans into a tablet.

#8 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,649 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:09

This pretty much sums it up:

Agreed.  They target two different needs...

I'll retire my desktop PC when I can put 2 GTX Titans into a tablet.

#9 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:10

Let me know when they release a Surface that can hold my 6 TB storage server in it.

#10 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,201 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 16 September 2013 - 14:13

Just some food for thought, as I am also of the belief that tablets are not taking over anytime soon, however...

I work at a very large corporation. It is in the Top 100 of Fortune 500 companies.
The IT department is currently piloting a few different tablets in a few different divisions. The Surface, Lenevo's ThinkPad Tablet whose name is escaping me right now. And everyone right now in the sales force has iPads. Our IT department would love to replace those since we are a Windows based environment.
The best way to replace iPads? Find a Windows based tablet that can also replace users laptops as well, killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

So yeah, while home power users still very much have a need for a "traditional" desktop or laptop, a tablet may very well be sufficient enough in a corporate setting, and that is a huge market as many of you already know.

Really all it needs to do is MS Office for most corporate users. PPT especially. Not that many people in corporations are editing videos or opening Photoshop.

So this may not be that far fetched is all I am saying.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:20

Tablets will one day surpass desktops, but that day is not coming anytime soon. But Microsoft is planning for the future, as well they should.

#12 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

• 1,596 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:28

Tablets will one day surpass desktops, but that day is not coming anytime soon. But Microsoft is planning for the future, as well they should.

They should absolutely plan for the future however trying to marry an obvious tablet interface with a traditional PC isn't working out too well for them and as a result the traditional PC is slowly being destroyed.

#13 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:32

Hmmm tablets can't replace laptops or desktops... Or maybe they can replace both and then some.

Surface pro tablet.
- read news in the morning, check some mail
- fix some word or excel documents on the way to work.
- at work dock it, and use it with a big screen monitor and keyboard and mouse
- finish working on the documents and do some pre viz renders in 3dsmax
- undock surface and bring to presentation meeting.
- show off the documentation and renders pre-viz directly from the tablet to the projector.
- on the way home, stop and the park open the auto desk real painting app, and do some sketching/painting with the proper pressure sensitive digitizer tablet.
- stop by the shop on the way home and check your shopping list on the tablet.
- cook dinner from a recipe on the tablet
- remote in to work to fix some mistakes
- play some games
- do some surfing while your wife watches something boring on tv.

Seems like a surface pro can replace a PC for anyone but a core gamer to me, and then, a tablet plus a Xbox is a much cheaper and better investment then anyway in most cases.

No need to wait 10 years.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,109 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:33

They should absolutely plan for the future however trying to marry an obvious tablet interface with a traditional PC isn't working out too well for them and as a result the traditional PC is slowly being destroyed.

You're seeing no existent causation, still. Despite its been proven that your causation is false.

#15 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,541 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 19:33

I'll probably get a win8.1 tablet soon.  Android and iOS just don't cut it for me.

It already was before win8 existed.