At least one shot at US Navy base in Washington DC

Strange that you try to compare the U.S to the U.K. The Cultural differences between the two are different and no matter of scoffing at us,insulting us and telling us we're all murderers is going to change that. It's also strange that you think the millions of guns in circulation could all be rounded up, its also strange that you think that rules to have all guns put in storage would actually work with the amount of guns in circulation. It's very strange that you think criminals would follow that law. It's bizarre to me that you think that mass killings would stop with gun laws..

Doesn't matter, the argument put forth is that gun control increases the amount of shooting sprees, I presented evidence that claim is BS.

Doesn't matter, the argument put forth is that gun control increases the amount of shooting sprees, I presented evidence that claim is BS.

The implication being less guns = less homicides. Wrong. The fact is that while US gun ownership and laws allowing their use have greatly expanded since 1991 the fatalities from spree killings have reduced over the same time frame. Homicide rates have halved, or more in many areas. Sorry.

What has changed to cause this public mis-perception is the advent of the 24 hour news cycle, blanket event coverage and issue advocacy by the anti-gun crowd.

SDT-2013-05-gun-crime-1-2.png

Washington Post reports he was on Trazodone, an antidepressant & sleep aid.

Psychiatric side effects (not common, but still): mania, paranoia, hypomania, increased libido, delirium, agitation, psychosis, hallucinations and self-destructive behaviors.

Nervous system side effects increase with alcohol use.

Washington Post reports he was on Trazodone, an antidepressant & sleep aid.

Psychiatric side effects (not common, but still): mania, paranoia, hypomania, increased libido, delirium, agitation, psychosis, hallucinations and self-destructive behaviors.

Nervous system side effects increase with alcohol use.

Why would ANY doctor prescribe an "anti-depressant" with such side effects? They're worse than what the drug is treating!

Why would ANY doctor prescribe an "anti-depressant" with such side effects? They're worse than what the drug is treating!

Mainly because a lot of doctors out there think a pill will solve anything. 

• Like 1

I wonder why the NRA did not comment on this.

Remember what they said after shootings on school grounds. Armed forces should be stationed on school grounds because you need good people to fight off the bad ones.

Well, this is a military base, is it not? Loads of good people with guns. Yet, one bad guy managed to inflict so much devastation.

All that I am saying is that the NRA's logic is obviously flawed. Arming people is not going to solve anything. Putting armed forces on school grounds, public institutions, etc., is not going to solve anything.

And how convenient is it that this story is not on the news anymore. Why? Stories like this usually get dragged on for weeks. So why are we not hearing about it anymore? And no one wonders why?

I wonder why the NRA did not comment on this.

Remember what they said after shootings on school grounds. Armed forces should be stationed on school grounds because you need good people to fight off the bad ones.

Well, this is a military base, is it not? Loads of good people with guns. Yet, one bad guy managed to inflict so much devastation.

Your premise is flawed. Because of a policy change in 1993 the only armed persons on military bases are the security personnel, and often they are few and far between - often concentrated at the vehicle entry points. As a cleared military contractor he was passed through there with little trouble.

In this incident there was only a small number of dispersed security guards armed with 9mm pistols in the building, which is not a very powerful weapon. Certainly not a 1-shot stopper 90% of the time. The shooter had an illegally sawed-off 12 gauge shotgun, which gave him a huge tactical advantage (shotguns being among the most lethal close quarters weapons,) After easily taking down the guards he took their pistols and used them to further his attack.

Also, contrary to early reports he did not bring in an AR-15 or any other rifle.

All that I am saying is that the NRA's logic is obviously flawed. Arming people is not going to solve anything. Putting armed forces on school grounds, public institutions, etc., is not going to solve anything.

Absent a good premise this part falls due to its own weight. The lesson here for school / institutional security is to guard entrances with 2-man teams armed with something more effective than a 9mm pop-gun, not to be totally dis-armed as they are now.

And how convenient is it that this story is not on the news anymore. Why? Stories like this usually get dragged on for weeks. So why are we not hearing about it anymore? And no one wonders why?

Perhaps this should he reassigned to the conspiracies forum? Besides, 3 seconds worth of google-fu shows this statement to be false.

The lesson here for institutional security is to guard entrances with 2-man teams armed with something more effective than a 9mm pop-gun, not to be totally dis-armed as they are now.

Or just make sure police records/background checks are correct to prevent him from getting a gun in the first place?

Or just make sure police records/background checks are correct to prevent him from getting a gun in the first place?

Both. No records system will ever be perfect - nothing set up by and operated by people ever will be. Adequately armed guards cover that contingency. Trained & armed volunteer staffers cover the guards. It's called layered security. Our precious kids deserve no less security than we routinely provide property assets.

Our precious kids deserve no less security than we routinely provide property assets.

A somewhat amusing statement, considering you've said several times that you'd kill anyone trying to steal your property.

That would be in the process of making a citizens arrest, a civilian police power that permits force to make a felony arrest. All the idiot has to do to prevent a forcible arrest is stop. His call.

It's also not like anyone enjoys having to do it, but violent criminals that escape tend to do it again - soon and often. I'd feel a lit worse if the perp hurt someone due to my inaction - aka 'the Peter Parker scenario'.

That would be in the process of making a citizens arrest, a civilian police power that permits force to make a felony arrest. All the idiot has to do to prevent a forcible arrest is stop. His call.

It's also not like anyone enjoys having to do it, but violent criminals that escape tend to do it again - soon and often. I'd feel a lit worse if the perp hurt someone due to my inaction - aka 'the Peter Parker scenario'.

But he also ended up killing the wrong guy. Not a great scenario  to reference.