• compatibilityfooter_ipodtouch.jpg
    • iPod touch 5th generation 16GB
    • iPod touch 5th generation 32GB/64GB
  • compatibilityfooter_ipad.jpg
    • iPad 2
    • iPad with Retina display
    • iPad mini

Oho! I was looking forward to it...

Isn't it odd that iPhone 4 would be supported, but not iPod 4, even though they have the same processor?

And thanks for the answers!

from what i've been told it's because the iTouch 4g has less RAM then than the iPhone 4

The 4th generation iPod touch is slow enough with iOS 6, iOS 7 won't help matters. The reason the iPhone 4 gets it is because it's a bit more powerful spec-wise.

The 4th generation iPod touch is slow enough with iOS 6, iOS 7 won't help matters. The reason the iPhone 4 gets it is because it's a bit more powerful spec-wise.

I currently have iOS 5 installed, so is it better if I stay on it, as iOS 6 might slow it down further?

I currently have iOS 5 installed, so is it better if I stay on it, as iOS 6 might slow it down further?

100% Stay with iOS5. 

100% Stay with iOS5. 

... I found that my iPhone 4 was a lot snappier with iOS 6 than with iOS 5.  Just sayin.  Sometimes poor performance is the result of added features, but sometimes there are bugs.  iOS 5 ran like a dog on my iPhone 4 when compared to iOS 4 and iOS 6.  Based on that, I'd say iOS 6 is better optimized than 5 was.

Try 6, you can get the .ipsw files from the web and restore back to ios5 if 6 is slower.

plenty of places to get them.

http://www.ipswdownloader.com/

http://www.idownloadblog.com/download/

Just hold down the shift key/option key (mac) as you click restore (in itunes) and an explorer window will pop up where you can browse for the ipsw file.

Try 6, you can get the .ipsw files from the web and restore back to ios5 if 6 is slower.

Just hold down the shift key/option key (mac) as you click restore (in itunes) and an explorer window will pop up where you can browse for the ipsw file.

Alright, I'll try out 6! Thanks for the help everyone!

The only IPSW file that will install is the one that Apple is actively signing for the device, which I believe is 6.1.2.  Any previous version than that will require an SHSH stitch on the firmware file in order to have it install on your device w/o Apple's activation.  The only way to get your SHSH blobs for your device is to either jailbreak it and use Cydia (which I don't think works anymore), or use TinyUmbrella.  But, unless you have already collected these while Apple was doing the signing you will be SOL on ever getting them. 

I still say just upgrade to the latest using iTunes update process and be done with it.  I'm just letting you know in so-many-words that once you will most likely not have a way to get back to iOS 5.  Don't let that detour you, however, as I still think iOS 6 is superior and worth it.

The only IPSW file that will install is the one that Apple is actively signing for the device, which I believe is 6.1.2.  Any previous version than that will require an SHSH stitch on the firmware file in order to have it install on your device w/o Apple's activation.  The only way to get your SHSH blobs for your device is to either jailbreak it and use Cydia (which I don't think works anymore), or use TinyUmbrella.  But, unless you have already collected these while Apple was doing the signing you will be SOL on ever getting them. 

I still say just upgrade to the latest using iTunes update process and be done with it.  I'm just letting you know in so-many-words that once you will most likely not have a way to get back to iOS 5.  Don't let that detour you, however, as I still think iOS 6 is superior and worth it.

Ah right, I've only every tried it with Beta and current OS...so that's why it'll let me go back...so yeh maybe don't try that then...but I'd still expect 6 to be as good if not better than 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeh iPod 4th Gen only has 256MB iPhone 4 has 512MB.

I've seen iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 just today (Verizon 3G) - and right away wished for maple syrup. (That's right - it looked pancake-flat, likely due to the non-Retina display of the iPhone 4 by default.)

I am hoping it does not look as flat on an iPad.

There is a warning for iPhone 4 users with the new version of iTunes that will be coming out version 11.1. Apparently Apple has turned off the ability to restore to custom firmware using itunes if you have already updated to iOS 7. 

Someone mentioned this on a youtube video while discussing the new jailbreak for iOS 6.1.4 and the future jailbreak for 7.

I've seen iOS 7 on an iPhone 4 just today (Verizon 3G) - and right away wished for maple syrup. (That's right - it looked pancake-flat, likely due to the non-Retina display of the iPhone 4 by default.)

I am hoping it does not look as flat on an iPad.

The iPhone 4 does have a Retina display as does the iPod touch 4.... But isn't that the point of iOS7 to be a flatter OS? To get rid of the gradients, etc.