Google acquires Bump

bumpapp1_2040_large_verge_medium_landsca

In a blog post today, Bump CEO and found David Lieb announced that his company had been acquired by Google. Bump builds a set of proprietary technologies that allow devices to share data. The selling point is that users can exchange photos or contacts by simply bumping their phones together. What makes Bump different is that this transfer of data is not enabled by near-field-communication, or NFC, which is what normally powers this kind of exchange.

"There are two parts to Bump: the app running on your device and a smart-matching algorithm running on our servers in the cloud," the company explains in its FAQ. "The app on your phone uses the phone's sensors to literally 'feel' the bump, and it sends that info up to the cloud. The matching algorithm listens to the bumps from phones around the world and pairs up phones that felt the same bump. Then we just route information between the two phones in each pair."

Bump was able to reach a ton of users, achieving 60 million download in 2011. But it never managed to find much revenue or graduate beyond the realm of the novelty app. In July of last year it introduced Flock, a group photo-sharing service, but never found a ton of traction with that app either.

The company raised just under $20 million in total, so the sale to Google was likely a soft landing for a company that had interesting features but struggled to build a business. The blog post announcing the sale says both Bump and Flock will remain active for now. Google will likely look to incorporate the best elements of Bump's wireless data transfer and group photo-sharing into its own mobile phones and OS.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/16/4736860/bump-acquired-by-google

WTF, I thought this was built into Android already?

The selling point is that users can exchange photos or contacts by simply bumping their phones together.

If Android needed app for something as basic as this, it explains the need for the bazillion apps in the store. :/

If Android needed app for something as basic as this, it explains the need for the bazillion apps in the store. :/

Bump doesnt use NFC....at least it didnt when I used it.  Not sure why Google acquired the company.  I guess will will find out sooner or later.

No... Bump was made when iPod/iPhone touch came out...  Android already added built-in NFC and Beam which is similar to Bump functions.

Bump works on all devices who have Bump app supported via wireless network.

NFC/Beam works through NFC or Bluetooth... something like that. 

Don't forget some phones do not have NFC or Beam...  so I have seen some people who have Bump app in order to work.. I have Bump on my 2G iPod touch so I could exchange data with others such as photos, contacts, etc.

Makes sense. Regardless of if you have NFC on your phone, using Bump's network infrastructure and design as a backup, you could tap any two Android phones together and know they will work to send data.

Sharing information, pictures, or other files with Beam is cool and very convenient, but no one knows about NFC mainly because only certain phones had it until recently. This could mean they could market the idea to anyone on the latest version of Android... ok, as I wrote that I realized that's as much of an issue as having NFC itself. :laugh: