Question about Reaktek sound issue in Windows 8 Pro x64

windows 8 sound realtek

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 27 September 2013 - 13:48

Well, I guess my whole perception of how 5.1 is supposed to work with this sound device and my analog speakers was wrong. I am now lead to believe, please correct me if I am wrong, that the only way to get surround (not true 5.1) is to use the software's "surround" option, which actually just bleeds the front channels to the rears with a fraction of delay. The only way to get true 5.1 discrete channels is through the digital out and to digital speakers using a source that is truly 5.1 encoded. Is that right? That would explain a lot. Anyway, with the help I have gotten here I have everything sounding pretty good. I use the EQ in Windows Media Player but understand that there are several better free ones. I will look into that.

Thanks for everything 

#17 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 September 2013 - 13:50

Have you looked into your event viewer to see if there are any clues? I have an ALC889 on my motherboard, with the save driver version and I get no issues in Windows 8

OK, I will look at that and try it.

While I am working on that another thing has been bothering me. I have my Logitech 5.1 analog speakers plugged in to the on-board audio and all the tests, both in windows and the Realtek software, work fine but I never get audio out the rear speakers otherwise. With speaker fill enabled in the Realtek software all I get is an EXTREMELY soft muddy sound out of the rear speaker, almost inaudible. Is there something I should do or know about the Realtek on-board sound with analog 5.1 speakers?

Thanks,

The overwhelming majority of music is encoded in stereo, you're unlikely to get much in 5.1 format

#18 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 27 September 2013 - 14:23

Try the media player I mentioned it allows you to change output format to 5.1

#19 p1p3

p1p3

Out of print

Posted 27 September 2013 - 15:41

Sound like you have a broken driver running on your system. Try measuring your DPC latency using http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon or http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

I'm not 100% sure if it works on Windows 8 as "the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8" (http://www.thesycon....ncy_check.shtml) but it’s it won’t break anything to give it a try.

If it doesn’t work try disabling different hardware to locate the problem.

Some common problems from my own experience are Wireless and Wired network cards and Intel RAID drivers.

Here is a guide that is more for audio production but will go through the steps for finding real time audio issues. http://www.native-in...udio Processing

#20 OP devnulllore

devnulllore

Neowin-aholic

Posted 27 September 2013 - 19:01

OK, I will try the J river player but I did what was suggested by p1p3 and went into device mangler uh.. I mean manager and found all sorts of audio devices that are not in use such as the HD out from my video cards etc.. I disabled those and the ones I was sure were not in use and the problem went away.

Thanks,

#21 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 September 2013 - 21:01

OK, I will try the J river player but I did what was suggested by p1p3 and went into device mangler uh.. I mean manager and found all sorts of audio devices that are not in use such as the HD out from my video cards etc.. I disabled those and the ones I was sure were not in use and the problem went away.

Thanks,

I was wondering about that.  The newest graphics drivers do have an updated HDMI audio driver which I thought had fixed something like that, but I couldn't find the info so :(

Glad it's fixed at any rate.