Word 2013 will not type

I have a few users with this issue.

When opening a new Microsoft Word 2013 document (blank doc) the keyboard will not type, only give the beeping as though you're pressing the wrong key at a dialog, until you either right click, open a new document or activate sticky keys.

I have tried searching for possible solutions, have tried a reimage of the machine (not every machine is experiencing this, but over 300 machines have this image), have tried disabling Bluetooth add ins, and repairing Office 2013. Blew away the profile on the machine and the issue remains.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have a solution?

I have a few users with this issue.

When opening a new Microsoft Word 2013 document (blank doc) the keyboard will not type, only give the beeping as though you're pressing the wrong key at a dialog, until you either right click, open a new document or activate sticky keys.

I have tried searching for possible solutions, have tried a reimage of the machine (not every machine is experiencing this, but over 300 machines have this image), have tried disabling Bluetooth add ins, and repairing Office 2013. Blew away the profile on the machine and the issue remains.

Has anyone else experienced this? Anyone have a solution?

Does hitting ESC then allow you to type? 

Also check that ALT or CTRL is not held down. (A bad keyboard or a keyboard utility that has control over keyboard input.)

Also check that ALT or CTRL is not held down. (A bad keyboard or a keyboard utility that has control over keyboard input.)

Tried deleting Normal.dotm? It should be recreated from the canonical template if you nuke it.

Otherwise, try a clean one from my computer (this is the default Word 2013 template, not modified).

Tried both of these, neither seemed to help. Thanks though!

I'm going to try ripping out all of the addons and see if that helps at all.  Thank you again!

• 3 months later...

Click on Office in add/remove programs then click "Change" try both options in this dialog:

post-105752-0-50794300-1388400001.png

• 4 weeks later...

Just wonder if you ever found a solution to this problem.  I just purchased a new computer this week and am having the exact same problem with Word.

I did in fact.It was the smart ink COM addin that was causing the issue. SMART has recently taken a liking to destroying the products they made a necessity in the classroom.

You can try what Richard had suggested though, and repair it. That usually fixes most issues.

Thank you all for your help!

• Eric locked this topic