Need an @icloud.com account to sync Notes on iPhone?

Syncing Contacts, Calendars, Reminders etc.is working just fine with a standard @hotmail.com iCloud account.

However, when you try to turn on Notes backup, you get:

"Create a free @icloud.com email address to turn on Notes."

I have two question:

• Would you need to switch the entire backup to the @icloud.com iCloud account in order to backup Notes? Will it affect purchased apps etc. if this is done?
  • If it's not needed to switch my entire backup to the @icloud.com iCloud account, how would you go about keeping Contacts, Calendars, Reminders etc. synced with the @hotmail.com iCloud account and Notes with the @icloud.com iCloud account?

Stuff that sync with other services, such as Hotmail won't be backed up. The idea is that when the phone is restored, it would just sync with that service. So, your Hotmail contacts, notes, and calendar would be simply synced with the Hotmail servers when you restored your phone.

Edit: From what I see, Hotmail is just one of the services that doesn't support Notes on the iPhone. I do have a separate iCloud account for that though.

Stuff that sync with other services, such as Hotmail won't be backed up. The idea is that when the phone is restored, it would just sync with that service. So, your Hotmail contacts, notes, and calendar would be simply synced with the Hotmail servers when you restored your phone.

Edit: From what I see, Hotmail is just one of the services that doesn't support Notes on the iPhone. I do have a separate iCloud account for that though.

I never mentioned syncing to Hotmail :S

Syncing Contacts, Calendars, Reminders etc.is working just fine with a standard @hotmail.com iCloud account.

However, when you try to turn on Notes backup, you get:

"Create a free @icloud.com email address to turn on Notes."

I have two question:

• Would you need to switch the entire backup to the @icloud.com iCloud account in order to backup Notes? Will it affect purchased apps etc. if this is done?
  • If it's not needed to switch my entire backup to the @icloud.com iCloud account, how would you go about keeping Contacts, Calendars, Reminders etc. synced with the @hotmail.com iCloud account and Notes with the @icloud.com iCloud account?

I think you are confusing syncing with backing up.  iCloud supports iOS Backups and syncing Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari bookmarks, Notes, Passbook, Photostream, App documents and Data, and it also is required for Find My iPhone.

All of these features are completely optional and can be turned on and off at will.  If all that you want to do is sync your notes with iCloud, then you can do that.  Backing up to your iCloud account or to iTunes on your computer are other options available. 

So to answer your 2nd question: you have 1 of your services pointed to Hotmail for everything you sync there, and another one pointed to iCloud for everything you sync there.  iOS handles syncing multiple services in anyway that you require extremely well.

I'd say that anyone with an iOS device will benefit from the iCloud features regardless of what other services you use.  I use it for everything except for email, which I use GMail  for.  I've debated forwarding my @gmail.com email to my @icloud.com email to transition to @icloud.com but I've had my @gmail.com address since beta, its well established, and I don't really want to change it.  I do like the icloud.com email interface much more than gmail.com.  iCloud.com is clean and has no advertisements.

I don't usually sync Notes to iCloud, but I was able to turn it on and off and my iCloud account is under my business email address. However, under that account I do have a @icloud.com email address.

So it may be that your iCloud account doesn't have an @icloud.com address and that's the issue. But it's simple to add such an address, and it won't change the primary address on the iCloud account. I don't think it's necessary to run two iCloud accounts.

I don't usually sync Notes to iCloud, but I was able to turn it on and off and my iCloud account is under my business email address. However, under that account I do have a @icloud.com email address.

So it may be that your iCloud account doesn't have an @icloud.com address and that's the issue. But it's simple to add such an address, and it won't change the primary address on the iCloud account. I don't think it's necessary to run two iCloud accounts.

Yeah, exactly.  My login to my icloud.com is my @gmail.com address but during setup it gives you an @icloud address for email.  You really don't have to use it for anything (even logins).  I never have.