bblean x64 2013 compile new

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 OP DBlake

DBlake

Neowinian

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:44

Hey people,

It's great to see this topic getting attention. A while back I saw many shell setups with bbLean, and absolutely loved it, so I tried to give it a go, but unfortunately, on a 64-bit system (Win7)... well, you probably know the issue, as this thread is just about it (I registered just for this, after seeing it popping up in Google).

Looking forward to seeing progress - would probably be up for a bit of testing, but I am not that familiar with bb yet. Even so, if I can contribute something, I would be happy to.

Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates these last few weeks. I've been rather busy with that unfortunate thing called real life. Since I haven't gotten any bad bug reports back from my testers, I might release a build soon! Needs a bit more testing though.

#17 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 October 2013 - 17:51

Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates these last few weeks. I've been rather busy with that unfortunate thing called real life. Since I haven't gotten any bad bug reports back from my testers, I might release a build soon! Needs a bit more testing though.

if you need help, let me know and i will be glad to help you out.

#18 gropax

gropax

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2013 - 16:33

Still checking back here once in a while, patiently waiting for new "toys". : )

#19 OP DBlake

DBlake

Neowinian

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:04

if you need help, let me know and i will be glad to help you out.

Sure thing. I'll PM you with a link to my latest build. I haven't made a new build about a month though since there's nothing more I can really add at this point. Also, since both bbWinSkin and bbLeanSkin are far too buggy in versions of Windows newer than Vista, they will have to be officially removed from my build (though I will leave the bbLeanSkin DLL in there just for completeness, though I will not support any bug reports related to it).

Unless someone can port it from using GDI to DirectX/Direct2d, or at least add a method for hooking the glass rendering and rendering our own frame on top of it, I can't do anything with it. Though, I did find TrueTransparency renders it's own frames just fine on top of Aero. I'm not sure how though. They most likely don't still use GDI like bbLeanSkin does at this moment.

tl;dr, expect a PM soon.

#20 ErraticFox

ErraticFox

Neowinian

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:38

Might I have a go at this? I'd love to try this.

#21 Pitkon

Pitkon

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2013 - 15:28

I am glad for the interest, being an administrator of 3 Blackbox sites and perhaps the most prolific styler since 2002 http://pitkon.deviantart.com However, BBLean didn't simply vanish in 2009. xzero450 moved BBLean to the next generation with a new branch that includes split and mirror gradients, outline text and lots more. His latest build is from 2012. I welcome your effort, DBlake, and I will gladly help anyway I can. I have tested almost all branches from 2002 onwards and I am willing to add ideas, publicity and stuff. Please feel free to e-mail me. Any drive to rekindle interest in BB is mostly welcome :)

#22 Gio Takahashi

Gio Takahashi

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 20:57

Wow. I remember using this years ago during the XP days. I'm definitely going to follow this project.

#23 ErraticFox

ErraticFox

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:19

I've been looking around... Is there a way to get a system tray for bblean? I only got the system icons. I could've sworn I had one before. Any way of achieving thing?

#24 suisilverman

suisilverman

Neowinian

Posted 03 December 2013 - 20:29

I signed up for this forum because I love BBLean and would love to see it revived but lack the skill to do it.

I am running higher end nvidia quad monitor setup and I can def report bugs as I come across them.

A.K.A count me in for beta testing.or even Alpha testing

#25 OP DBlake

DBlake

Neowinian

Posted 06 December 2013 - 19:53

I haven't been on here in a while. There hasn't been any progress at all. I've had a lot of (real-life) issues come up that took (and are taking) priority over programming. It'd be awesome if we had some skilled C/C++ devs in here that would be willing to help, as I can't do it all on my own anymore. Speaking of that, I need to find where I put the source code...

If we could get bbLeanSkin working properly on Windows 7 and higher, that would be amazing. It works somewhat at the moment (as well as it did in the build from 2009), but there are a lot of glaring issues (such as DWM compatibility) that need to be addressed. Unfortunately, I fear a (near-)complete rewrite will be the only thing to revive it. I'm not skilled enough at C++ to do such a thing. I'm thinking it just needs to be phased out completely since we have MSStyles theming which is far more customizable than bbLS.

Speaking of DWM compatibility, I'm think of a feature to implemen: Blur behind Panel and Slit (akin to the stock taskbar in 7).

#26 suisilverman

suisilverman

Neowinian

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:25

I have no skill but I am a very detailed beta tester.  I have done games and UI's I hope that can help

#27 jjshinobi

jjshinobi

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:01

(I registered just for this, after seeing it popping up in Google).

Looking forward to seeing progress - would probably be up for a bit of testing, but I am not that familiar with bb yet. Even so, if I can contribute something, I would be happy to.

Why is this not on github?

#28 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:18

Why is this not on github?

Because Neowin is not a platform for free advertising to other sites

#29 Mizaloose

Mizaloose

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:08

Out of curiosity, how well does this work with newer versions of firefox? Since with the old version of bblean, you cant close tabs and web developer tools and some other stuff are broken.

#30 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:17

Because Neowin is not a platform for free advertising to other sites

What?

I say Git it, get it up on there for all to see and contribute.