• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#16 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

• 11,080 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:53

Liberalism at it's best, blame the victim 

Yeah, killing someone in a case like this isn't the answer.

That's not liberalism, it's common decency.  Yeah the teen is a pos, but there was zero reason to shoot him and plenty of better ways to handle the situation.  It's not about blaming the victim, its about there being appropriate ways to handle situations and bat**** insane ways to handle situations that shouldn't be allowed in modern society. 

#17 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 10,044 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02

If it is morally permissible to shoot a crook in the back as they're running away, then I think it is equally permissible to shoot them if they were just walking down the sidewalk. If you take away the necessity of imminent threat and replace it with "well, he or she might commit a crime at some point in the future", then maybe we should be arresting people for crimes that they may commit in the future.

#18 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,207 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02

What if the local Police had shot the robber ....

Cops didn't shoot him, so it's really a moot point to bring up. 

#19 AsherGZ

AsherGZ

【=◈︿◈=】

• 1,833 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820, 520

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:57

I guess none of you have ever been in an armed robbery. Let me tell you its not great. They intimidate and threaten you, sometimes harm you and use abusive language and act like its their right to just go ahead and grab anything that you earned with your sweat and blood. Its a traumatic experience and once the adrenaline wears off you are left feeling enraged and wondering what you could have done to prevent it. You often fantasize about blowing the ****ers head off if you only had a gun on you at the time. Calling the cops is more of a hassle than its worth because we all know there's zero chance of the culprit being caught afterwards. These scums don't hesitate hurting you the moment they smell foul of feel threatened. They deserve to die.

#20 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,177 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:19

Liberalism at it's best, blame the victim 

I don't see what liberalism has anything to do with it. Do you even know what liberalism is ? http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Liberalism

It's the law. You can't shoot someone who is not a threat and someone escaping is not a threat.

#21 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,294 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:28

This is why criminals do not care.  They know that the laws protect them.

#22 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

• 151 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:46

The robber was running away, and no longer a threat. The charges against the shop owner are justified.

Screw that.  He should have never been there to get killed. They said escaping not running away btw.  Nice twist on the words.  He could be trying to escape with his life because the shopkeeper had the balls to pull a weapon and fight back.

#23 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,107 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:54

AsherGZ, on 17 Sept 2013 - 20:57, said:AsherGZ, on 17 Sept 2013 - 20:57, said:

I guess none of you have ever been in an armed robbery. Let me tell you its not great. They intimidate and threaten you, sometimes harm you and use abusive language and act like its their right to just go ahead and grab anything that you earned with your sweat and blood. Its a traumatic experience and once the adrenaline wears off you are left feeling enraged and wondering what you could have done to prevent it. You often fantasize about blowing the ****ers head off if you only had a gun on you at the time. Calling the cops is more of a hassle than its worth because we all know there's zero chance of the culprit being caught afterwards. These scums don't hesitate hurting you the moment they smell foul of feel threatened. They deserve to die.

Armed robbers deserve to die? Yeah, that's way too harsh of a punishment. I'm glad I don't live in Pakistan. Sounds like the police are rather useless.

#24 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

• 1,882 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:01

he robbed a shop with a shotgun, then his family thought it was needless for him to die oh come... this stuff needs to happen to keep these idiots from thinking they can get away with anything

#25 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,648 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:48

The robber was running away, and no longer a threat. The charges against the shop owner are justified.

Bullish*t. This is why Michigan has a fleeing felon rule.

He may not have been an immediate threat to the jeweler but he was a threat to his NEXT victim. Criminals being creatures of need, opportunity & habit that next victim would likely have been soon. Probably that night before an investigation even got started. Better to stop him NOW than pray he didn't hurt / kill someone on the next try.

#26 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,021 posts
  • Phone: Xperia Z3

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:57

He may not have been an immediate threat to the jeweler but he was a threat to his NEXT victim. Criminals being creatures of need, opportunity & habit that next victim would likely have been soon. Probably that night before an investigation even got started. Better to stop him NOW than pray he didn't hurt / kill someone on the next try.

That's the law over there and that's fine. It isn't the law here. You may only shoot people in self defence here. I don't view "He might rob someone in the future" as reason enough to end their lives. 

#27 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,057 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:24

This didn't happen in Michigan.

#28 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 18,648 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:47

Of course not, but it illustrates the lunacy of just letting the perp skate until the French cops get up to speed - assuming they do before someone innocent gets hurt or killed. This is where a proactive citizens arrest power is useful.

#29 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,503 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:03

this guy was running away.

michael-papajohn.jpg

certainly just because he's running away he poses no harm to any one...

dyingdad2s.jpg

... ohhh.. probably would have been better to shoot the thief... wouldn't it have? Now Uncle Ben is dead.

#30 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• 9,902 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:07

I guess there's two ways of looking at it. He was escaping.. the shop keeper didn't need to shoot the guy. As has been said, it wasn't in self defence. 

But on the other side of it.. he won't go burgling again!