Best/popular online shooters for PC gaming?

I'm looking for a good shooter for PC to fill the void while i wait for Ghosts and BF 4... i went to purchase Black Ops II from steam and nearly chocked on my morning coffee after seeing it's been raised to ?39.99 again.. The same price as ARMA.

I started shopping around on Steam and there is too much to choose from, so now i'm wondering what is the best or most popular shooter for PC? I'll likely spend most of the time on multiplayer so an amazing single-player campaign isn't essential.

basically just want something that has an amazing online multiplayer experience.

Failing a steam purchase i can get BO II boxed for ?20.

While you look for (or get opinions for) a game to get - may I suggest checking out Warframe? It's a F2P shooter for PC (coming to PS4 in 2014 as well) that is pretty damn good. Graphically it's very impressive, and it's quite fun (and they don't beat you over the head with the F2P stuff) and has tons of players. It's also a pretty small install, only about 2.5 gigs or so if I remember correctly. 

If you aren't interested in a F2P game (even though I highly, highly recommend Warframe) I would suggest looking into Payday 2, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Killing Floor and of course the Counter-Strike games (Global Offensive being the newest and currently most popular of the bunch).

There are also other F2P shooters that are quite good, such as Planetside 2 (for that Battlefield itch), Blacklight: Retribution and Soldier Front 2.

Don't know which, if any of the games I listed will fit your bill, but hey they are worth a look right? :)

I'm looking for a good shooter for PC to fill the void while i wait for Ghosts and BF 4... i went to purchase Black Ops II from steam and nearly chocked on my morning coffee after seeing it's been raised to ?39.99 again.. The same price as ARMA.

I started shopping around on Steam and there is too much to choose from, so now i'm wondering what is the best or most popular shooter for PC? I'll likely spend most of the time on multiplayer so an amazing single-player campaign isn't essential.

basically just want something that has an amazing online multiplayer experience.

Failing a steam purchase i can get BO II boxed for ?20.

Black Ops II is ?20.14 on g2a.com, ?21.18 on Gameholds, ?21.79 on worldofcdkeys etc.

Just use dlcompare.com :)

So you buy off there and they send you a steam key? How come the prices are so good looks too good to be true, it days ?33 for COD GHOSTS yet it's ?39.99 on the steam store.

Blacklight Retribution is a pretty decent F2P FPS, same with Tribes Ascend, but to be fair there's been quite a lull in quality FPS games. 

I play BLOPS 2 with quite a few friends on occasion, but it's just a time killer that we all have and play - I'm waiting on BF4 and to some extent COD Ghosts.  However, if they don't sort out the killstreaks in Ghosts, I doubt I'll buy it - nothing more boring than achieving / being on the receiving end of a VSAT / Swarm etc, just ruins the match.

While you look for (or get opinions for) a game to get - may I suggest checking out Warframe? It's a F2P shooter for PC (coming to PS4 in 2014 as well) that is pretty damn good. Graphically it's very impressive, and it's quite fun (and they don't beat you over the head with the F2P stuff) and has tons of players. It's also a pretty small install, only about 2.5 gigs or so if I remember correctly. 

If you aren't interested in a F2P game (even though I highly, highly recommend Warframe) I would suggest looking into Payday 2, Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, Killing Floor and of course the Counter-Strike games (Global Offensive being the newest and currently most popular of the bunch).

There are also other F2P shooters that are quite good, such as Planetside 2 (for that Battlefield itch), Blacklight: Retribution and Soldier Front 2.

Don't know which, if any of the games I listed will fit your bill, but hey they are worth a look right? :)

I thought Warframe required a lot of grinding and such if you didn't want to pay anything?

So you buy off there and they send you a steam key? How come the prices are so good looks too good to be true, it days ?33 for COD GHOSTS yet it's ?39.99 on the steam store.

Steam tend to sell at the RRP, unlike CD key websites, which compete with other CD key websites.

Steam tend to sell at the RRP, unlike CD key websites, which compete with other CD key websites.

Sorry i meant: how are they able to offer a steam key cheaper than steam, surely the only way to get a steam key steam is to buy it from steam, or are there other avenues to get keys such as bulk buy?

Sorry i meant: how are they able to offer a steam key cheaper than steam, surely the only way to get a steam key steam is to buy it from steam, or are there other avenues to get keys such as bulk buy?

I'm not sure entirely.

I believe a few get their CDs from Russia or something, and you need a VPN to activate them on Steam, but after that, they work perfectly. But only a few percent of the keys are like that.

I've also noticed sometimes they can take 30 minutes or so to send a key through, and then you receieve a scanned CD key - so I believe some have retail versions.

I thought Warframe required a lot of grinding and such if you didn't want to pay anything?

If you just want to play to have fun, aka not worry about unlocking a new warframe or craft a new weapon/whatever - then the grind isn't a problem I'd guess. But if you want to level up your dude, and unlock/craft new warframes etc, then it can be pretty grindy. But I think that's the point of the game, since it is F2P after all :D

I've looked around and most people seem happy with them, one or two complaints and others complain about getting wrong key but then instantly given right key.

Apparently they buy in bulk from 3rd world countries for next to nothing.

I might buy something cheap to test them out, it's definitely very enticing considering it's much cheaper than anywhere else.

Yeah i ended up getting COD BO II off one of those key sites cheap enough, also picked up Trine, Saints Row, TF 2 and Counter Strike and GTA IV but cant get that working.

Now i could do with a good racer, i loved Forza Horizon on my XBOX haven't come across anything similar yet.

Since when was Grid 2 an online shooter? ;)

In his last post

Now i could do with a good racer, i loved Forza Horizon on my XBOX haven't come across anything similar yet.

:D

• Like 1

Since when was Grid 2 an online shooter? ;)

See my last post :)

Yeah i ended up getting COD BO II off one of those key sites cheap enough, also picked up Trine, Saints Row, TF 2 and Counter Strike and GTA IV but cant get that working.