• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#16 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:43

Ah! I love reporting spammers, it's like a sport for me.

I wish we had a bonus point system for it or something, with leader-boards. That could be fun. :rofl:

#17 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:49

I wish we had a bonus point system for it or something, with leader-boards. That could be fun. :rofl:

But then some people would report genuine members that have done nothing wrong just to get to the top of the leaderboards.

#18 OP Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:01

But then some people would report genuine members that have done nothing wrong just to get to the top of the leaderboards.

spoilsport :p
And good point, unfortunately

#19 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:03

well obviously if this was done, reporting genuine members would get you no points or even penalties :p

but yeah, i agree, making a competition of it is probably not the greatest of ideas

#20 OP Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:03

OK I get what you mean about blocking, but for reporting a post (basically user) it is located at the bottom right hand side of every post, so you don't have to access their profile to report them.

Yes but when they're putting the spam ad in their status, you have to click the profile.
Not the end of the world, just quicker.

#21 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:20

Yes but when they're putting the spam ad in their status, you have to click the profile.
Not the end of the world, just quicker.

Oh you meant statuses, well I guess these features probably could be implemented easily, if the dev team are willing to this, but now I can see why you would want a report user link/button and not just a report post button/link and I agree since getting rid of spammers faster is good. :)

#22 OP Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:56

Oh you meant statuses, well I guess these features probably could be implemented easily, if the dev team are willing to this, but now I can see why you would want a report user link/button and not just a report post button/link and I agree since getting rid of spammers faster is good. :)

lol I've been thinking about all that space you see when hovering over a username, it just occured to me, a button probably exists, for mods, to ban said spammers :p
So it's probably not possible

#23 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

Posted 19 September 2013 - 15:04

lol I've been thinking about all that space you see when hovering over a username, it just occured to me, a button probably exists, for mods, to ban said spammers :p
So it's probably not possible

Since staff don't need a report button they could still probably fit it in the unused space for members.

#24 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 19 September 2013 - 17:10

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't reporting a post technically like reporting the user.

Yes, it is. Reporting simply the user is not as helpful, because when you report the post, we see not only who the user is, but what they did to deserve reporting as well. Unless their infraction is on their profile, we can't see what the problem is unless we go digging through their posting history. So that particular button would not be very useful.

As for the blocking, the list of users you choose to block is in your settings (under Ignore Preferences), and within that list you can select to block their posts, messages, or just their signature. It's best to manage it from there so you can adjust the "level" of the block. Hopefully you aren't doing this often enough to need a "quick" way to do it ;)

So... I'm not a dev, but I doubt this is a change that will be implemented.

#25 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

Posted 19 September 2013 - 17:20

Yes, it is. Reporting simply the user is not as helpful, because when you report the post, we see not only who the user is, but what they did to deserve reporting as well. Unless their infraction is on their profile, we can't see what the problem is unless we go digging through their posting history. So that particular button would not be very useful.

As for the blocking, the list of users you choose to block is in your settings (under Ignore Preferences), and within that list you can select to block their posts, messages, or just their signature. It's best to manage it from there so you can adjust the "level" of the block. Hopefully you aren't doing this often enough to need a "quick" way to do it ;)

So... I'm not a dev, but I doubt this is a change that will be implemented.

I've never had to use the report function before, so I thought what it did was kind of different than how you've explained it, although It would be handy if the developers would add this for the members who use it e.g. Dushmany.

#26 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 19 September 2013 - 17:29

Actually going through each of the spammer's posts and hitting the report button is more annoying than helpful :p like with other IPB boards, we hit a "flag as spammer" button and it nukes all the posts at once. It doesn't take care of the piling up of spammer reports though :/

Back in the day when IPB lacked this feature, it was a pain. We'd have to manually delete each of the spammer's posts, and then ban the spammer.

#27 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 September 2013 - 21:39

I wouldn't mind a quicker path to ignore users.

#28 arachnoid

arachnoid

Support the Cat federation against cruel Dogs

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 September 2013 - 21:49

If you traveled at the speed of light your eyes would not work as they would be unable to register any visual cues ergo the question is mute.

#29 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 19 September 2013 - 22:05

*moot

#30 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 September 2013 - 14:06

I wouldn't mind a quicker path to ignore users.

The problem with having lots of people on ignore is that threads start to look fragmented and nonsensical.... I'd really encourage folks to use that feature as sparingly as possible, and learn to not let things get to you. In life there are always going to be people you don't agree with, people who are jerks, or people who are just plain stupid. On a forum you *can* try to put yourself in a box and avoid it all, but you usually can't in real life unless you hole up in your house 24/7. It's useful to be able to deal with it instead, without getting angry or whatever.