15 posts in this topic

Posted

Can't afford a Ferrari? Well, Faurecia SA,  the French auto parts maker, has what might be the next best thing: A system that makes your car sound like one.

Faurecia is offering car makers a mini loudspeaker that can amp up the muffled sound of a small engine's exhaust so it has the roar of a supercar's.

That's perhaps not good news for the neighbors but a possible boon for drivers aching for the head-turning noise of a Ferrari without spending $250,000 to get it.

Faurecia is showing its loudspeaker at this week's Frankfurt auto show. The unit of France's PSA Peugeot Citro

Posted

Might as well fit one of these to the exhaust too - ms2iO-2OP_isUX1elomgOjg.jpg

Posted

Honestly, this is pretty stupid.  It's not difficult to give a V6 engine a nice roar, so obviously this just applies to the 4-cylinders, which shouldn't be loud in the first place.  

This isn't much different than somebody putting a gigantic pipe on their POS Civic to make it sound "fast".  But in reality, it's not fast, and it sounds like a lawn mower.  

For the sake of humanity, we don't need any more "fake" cars on the road.

Posted

I never noticed that a Ferrari made a particular sound.

Guess I'm dense.

Posted

I am always  :rolleyes: when I see a 1.4L Honda Civic or similar tiny hatchback make more sound than a supercar due to exhaust modifications lol.

5 people like this

Posted

^ My Honda only made a roaring sound when the exhaust pipe rusted thru. :laugh:

1 person likes this

Posted

I haven't heard any AFK, but do Ferraris even have impressive exhaust sounds? AMGs (and to that effect, Pagani Huayra), on the other hand (which are a plenty in Soviet Russia)...

Posted

I never noticed that a Ferrari made a particular sound.

Guess I'm dense.

Or just not a car guy :P 

Posted

I haven't heard any AFK, but do Ferraris even have impressive exhaust sounds? AMGs (and to that effect, Pagani Huayra), on the other hand (which are a plenty in Soviet Russia)...

I drove an F430 on an autocross track a couple months ago, and it's a very very loud and mean sounding car.

I also see a 599 driving around this area occasionally, and that's also a loud car.

Ferraris have one of those exhausts that once you hear one rev, you'll be able to recognize one from a mile away (and you'll probably hear it from that far away).

Posted

YES, AMG's have amazing exhausts sounds. Case in point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlgw90Ns7c

I hate non-performance cars having performance/tuned exhaust systems. I also hate fake engine noise pipped into stereo systems (I'm looking at you BMW)

1 person likes this

Posted

YES, AMG's have amazing exhausts sounds. Case in point - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlgw90Ns7c

I hate non-performance cars having performance/tuned exhaust systems. I also hate fake engine noise pipped into stereo systems (I'm looking at you BMW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFT3sTkR5sI

Posted

You can hook up a loud speaker and a battery on a bicycle and play loud muffler sounds while riding! :woot:

Posted

People actually spend money on this?

Posted

Two words for you: Volvo Terror

You can hook up a loud speaker and a battery on a bicycle and play loud muffler sounds while riding! :woot:

Plastic playing card against the spokes - instant Harley!

1 person likes this