iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests

right, that's why god knows why 700MB of RAM is being used, a lot if by apps I rarely use I guess the OS can't figure out how to kill an app that's not running

The whole point of memory is using it, not keeping it free.

• Like 4

right, that's why god knows why 700MB of RAM is being used, a lot if by apps I rarely use I guess the OS can't figure out how to kill an app that's not running

GSII with 4.1.2

Unused ram is a waste.

Look at any current OS and they will eat up ram too.  That doesn't make them slow.  That makes them smart for caching most used items in ram.

Also, why would an OS kill an app thats not running?

GSII with 4.1.2

If it was running 4.3, you wouldn't have had that issue.

The only valid complaint here is that it took Google so long to fix that bug.

GSII with 4.1.2

Ok, thank you, was All I wanted to know.

What the?  You mean a new phone and newer hardware is faster than older phone on older hardware?!?!  GTFO!

In all honesty, the benchmark results look great for the 5S but it really isn't about benchmarks anymore is it?  Unless my phone is the fastest.  When its my phone then it is all about benchmarks.  Right fellas?

• Like 2

Omitted from the benchmark results for some reason is the Jitterbug smartphone. It's my understanding that the Jitterbug Touch 2 was at least 3 times faster than the iPhone 5S in all tests. Who needs an iPhone 5S when you can have the hearing aid compatible, 5-Star rated Jitterbug Touch 2 powered by Android 4.0?

• Like 3

Because if they wouldn't care about those things, they wouldn't buy an Android phone when there are many other good and cheap WP8 smartphones around, just to take an example.

To bad you're wrong.

The wast majority of android buyers, don't even know what android is, and if they do, they don't care what it I can and can't do, they buy it because someone told them it's a good phone or it's what they need.

Then you have the power of the sales people and the unfortunate fact a lot of sales people tend to be android fanboy "techies" who think this is the phone they should suggest to everyone, including old ladies even after said old ladies repeatedly come back to the store because they can't figure it out.

Clearly, you don't know much about CPU's when you don't see the advantages with 4+ CPU cores over 2 CPU cores.

I bet that you would still be blind on those benchmarks numbers even if Apple had a single core CPU that had better performance per CPU over per CPU's on the dual / quad-core CPU's. You would believe the single core CPU would be best because it gives better numbers per core.

And by that, i'm sure you could tell me where the single core CPU is better than a dual / quad-core CPU in real usage, right?

And why do you think the CPU technology for normal computers have developed from single / dual-core CPU's to Quad-Core and 8-core CPU's today?

There is a reason for it.

I see plenty of advantages to more cores. On a computer, laptop or desktop. On a phone. Not so much.

And android and Samsung have already proven there's no real usability advantage to it. It's a phone. I don't have spotify in one windows, word in another, a browser in a third, photoshop in the fourth, 3dsmax in the fifth and random other stuff all going at once. At best a stupid padphone allows you to actively work on two apps at a time. And background tasks don't need a dedicated CPU core.

To bad you're wrong.

The wast majority of android buyers, don't even know what android is, and if they do, they don't care what it I can and can't do, they buy it because someone told them it's a good phone or it's what they need.

Then you have the power of the sales people and the unfortunate fact a lot of sales people tend to be android fanboy "techies" who think this is the phone they should suggest to everyone, including old ladies even after said old ladies repeatedly come back to the store because they can't figure it out.

The vast majority get asked in the phone shop on what they are going to use the phone for. By that, the sales man will know if the person needs freedom or just a phone that can do phone calls, send SMS and do e-mails. Or if the person want's an Apple iPhone.

I know one person very well who works for NetCom here in Norway and he's asking every customers on what they need and what they are going to use the phone for. So before the customers goes out of the store, both the sales man and the customer it self knows what the phone is going to be used for.

He's also the guy who's not selling the most expensive phone out there, aka iPhones to customers who just want to do phone calls, send SMS and do e-mails. That tasks can a cheap Android or Windows Phone do as good as the iPhones can do for 1/3 of the price of an iPhone 5 / 5C / 5S.

I see plenty of advantages to more cores. On a computer, laptop or desktop. On a phone. Not so much.

And android and Samsung have already proven there's no real usability advantage to it. It's a phone. I don't have spotify in one windows, word in another, a browser in a third, photoshop in the fourth, 3dsmax in the fifth and random other stuff all going at once. At best a stupid padphone allows you to actively work on two apps at a time. And background tasks don't need a dedicated CPU core.

Why isn't it advantages with more cores in a phone?

The smartphones today are capable of doing pretty amazing things that needs alot of CPU power and alot of RAM. Oh wait, the iPhones are from stone age and can't do things like an Android phone can do today. So i see why some peoples are blind by not seeing the advantages with more cores and alot of RAM.

I agree but I'd rather programs have it to use rather than the OS using it all.

The OS isn't "using" it all.

As applications need it, it moves unused applications out, and the new ones in.

What a complete load of crap. Having better hardware is beneficial for most electronic devices, it pushes their capabilities forward.

Why isn't it advantages with more cores in a phone?

The smartphones today are capable of doing pretty amazing things that needs alot of CPU power and alot of RAM. Oh wait, the iPhones are from stone age and can't do things like an Android phone can do today. So i see why some peoples are blind by not seeing the advantages with more cores and alot of RAM.

Wrong platform, Hawkman's a Windows Phone fan. Funnily enough though, Windows phones have hardware one generation out of date and they still charge high end prices for them ;)

Why would I need to use it to know that I find the colour gradients being used appalling? You can figure out design from screenshots you know.

I don't really believe those results, at least for the 3D Mark one. There are several Androids that are faster, including one I'm holding in my hand right now, scoring 16246 vs the 5S's 13757...

iPhone 5S

2624a735-623d-4d49-9948-acdcdaed2450_zps

My device (Snapdragon 800, but that's all I'm telling ya! :p )

0bee900f-3600-40ba-b009-490ef7b9f71f_zps

So, slaughters the competition? Nope.  It's faster than some, slower than others. I see no slaughtering going on here. :p

So we benchmark 64bit vs 32bit as a standard?

The iPhone 5s has 64bit CPU, 64bit OS with 64bit browser, of course this looks like this! You would get similar results benching it vs the 32bit iPhone5.

Whats a waste of news being pushed around the tech website.

The iPhone 5s has 64bit CPU, 64bit OS with 64bit browser, of course this looks like this! You would get similar results benching it vs the 32bit iPhone5.

It's not faster than the Snapdragon 800 anyway.

I guess that could be true. But just about everyone said that 64 bit on the iPhone 5S was worthless and just a marketing gimmick.

I guess that could be true. But just about everyone said that 64 bit on the iPhone 5S was worthless and just a marketing gimmick.

Well that's because those people are convinced that 64-bit is only useful for overcoming memory restrictions.

But in reality, it's used for much much more.  People simply need to be better informed.

I don't recall seeing ever seeing benchmarks majorly different between 32 and 64 bit.  Do you?

Who does these 'charts'?

Most of these tests are artificial and reductive to actual performance, but it is surprising that no WP8 devices are listed on any of the provided charts. 

Which is especially curious when a 920/928 scores about the same as the iPhone 5 and 5c even graphically with a slower GPU, and is consistently faster than Android devices like the S4 that 'technical' have faster CPUs/GPUs.

The new CPU in the iPhone 5s is rather beefy, which is a side issue to all the 64bit confusion/controversy.  Even Microsoft's testing of the 64bit ARMs from last year demonstrated a 2-3x performance leap.

It's rather impressive that the 5S can come that close to the Z1 which has a monster 2.2GHz quad-core.

The 5S still beat all of them in 2 of the 4 tests.