iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests

iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests despite dual-core CPU and just 1GB of RAM

iphone-5s-435.jpg?w=618

Falling into the speeds and feeds trap when discussing mobile devices can be tricky, especially when the specs that smartphone vendors share most frequently only paint a small piece of the picture. It?s easy to look at things like CPU cores and clockspeeds and make assumptions, but dozens of factors contribute to a smartphone?s performance. Case in point: when the 1.3GHz dual-core A7 processor powering the new iPhone 5s is lined up on paper against quad- and eight-core CPUs clocked at more than 2GHz being used by Apple?s rivals, one might assume that the beastly chipsets powering various Android phones would have the upper hand. As it turns out, however, that assumption couldn?t be further from the truth.

When Apple announced last week that its new iPhone 5s is powered by a new 64-bit A7 processor, people scoffed and said that without 4GB of RAM, the upgrade would barely make a difference. When we found out Apple?s new chipset still only has two CPU cores, many immediately pointed to the quad-core Snapdragon 800 and Samsung?s eight-core Exynos 5 Octa as the obvious market leaders. And when we found out earlier this week that the iPhone 5s?s processor is clocked at just 1.3GHz, some smartphone enthusiasts wondered aloud when Apple would finally catch up.

Catch up?

As always, master of all things mobile Anand Lal Shimpi gave the iPhone 5s what is unquestionably the most thorough review from a technical standpoint that we have seen to date. In doing so, he ran a number of tests on the new iPhone in order to see how the phone stacks up against leading rival devices from Samsung, LG, HTC and Motorola. If you think core counts, RAM and clockspeeds tell the whole story, you?re in for a surprise.

Anandtech found that the iPhone 5s bested leading rival smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy S4 and LG G2 in each and every CPU performance test performed, often by a fairly wide margin. In some tests such as the Sunspider Javascript Benchmark and the Google Octane, the iPhone 5s?s margin of victory over most rivals was staggering.

The iPhone 5s outshined rivals in most GPU performance tests as well, and while I won?t spoil Shimpi?s conclusions, he came away very impressed. Those interested in analyzing the iPhone 5s from a technical standpoint should absolutely read Anandtech?s full review.

Surprise surprise.  Well actually not really.  If anybody out there actually believed that the Android philosophy of "moar cores and moar clocks equals moar performance!!111", then this should put it to rest.

I am kind of curious why the 5S seems to get worse Wifi battery life than the 5C and previous phones, whereas it gets much better LTE battery life.  Must be a few kinks in the A7.

This iPhone 5S review from Anandtech says it all! And remember, Anandtech has been a pc focused site reviewing graphics card, motherboards etc. for the past decade. And they have a good record of having very detailed reviews with benchmark reports. This review is very detailed and explains Apple's move to 64 bit. With a larger a screen size in the future, think how much more they can optimize including heat dissipation and better performance. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review

58181.png

58180.png

58179.png

58166.png

Their GPU is quite good too.

58170.png

I'm excited to see how it holds up against the 64 bit Atari Jaguar household electronic video arcade system.

They're about even. But the Jaguar's controller with all of those buttons tips the scales.

Whats funny is how, when Apples numbers are lower, people are like "Oh but apple doesn't need to be on top of the benchmarks because their ecosystem is so tight" and now (specially on reddit) people like "Oh so who's on top now, android is always hyping it's over the top specs" :laugh:  ( this from both an apple and android user...)

• Like 2

I love how browser JavaScript speed is now a measure of "device speed".

Well, it's one measurement. However, that's not the only type of benchmark that was run.

Well, it's one measurement. However, that's not the only type of benchmark that was run.

I used to benchmark Macs by how many times an icon in the dock would bounce when you launch it. I think even that was a better assessment of real world speed.

Thanks Apple, for showing the world WP8 really is OK on a dualcore CPU, and specs don't really matter........... :rolleyes:

Pretty much, iOS and WP8 are completely different from android.  Kinda makes you wonder, what iOS and WP8 could do if matching spec by spec!

• Like 2

I'm excited to see how it holds up against the 64 bit Atari Jaguar household electronic video arcade system.

No Bubsy Bobcat on iOS. Jaguar wins!

I used to benchmark Macs by how many times an icon in the dock would bounce when you launch it. I think even that was a better assessment of real world speed.

Considering that both the java script benchmarks and the bouncing dock icons are both hardware accelerated, you might not be far off.

Pretty much, iOS and WP8 are completely different from android.  Kinda makes you wonder, what iOS and WP8 could do if matching spec by spec!

Yea. I would have loved to see WP8 devices on these benchmarks. My Lumia 920 operates smooth as butter. I wonder if it has to do with the different browser engines. The lack of OpenGL probably has something to do with it too.

Despite how many times you say that, it's still not a 64 bit system ;)

Yup, I would like to see something like that too, just to see what, if there is a difference.

Pretty impressive tech. Too bad they don't license it to modern OS's and devices with screens large enough to use. :P

The "ancient" OS is a larger part of the performance than the A7.

• Like 2