iPhone 5s slaughters quad-core rivals in performance tests

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#166 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,302 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 23:00

I don't really believe those results, at least for the 3D Mark one. There are several Androids that are faster, including one I'm holding in my hand right now, scoring 16246 vs the 5S's 13757...

iPhone 5S
2624a735-623d-4d49-9948-acdcdaed2450_zps

My device (Snapdragon 800, but that's all I'm telling ya! :p )
0bee900f-3600-40ba-b009-490ef7b9f71f_zps

So, slaughters the competition? Nope. It's faster than some, slower than others. I see no slaughtering going on here. :p

Blatantly a nexus 5 btw ;)

#167 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,319 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 23:53

After clearing the cache and cookies data on both the handsets, we performed a mixture of browser load tests, comparing how fast each phone loaded websites of varying content richness. Also in the video above, you’ll find a collection of browser benchmarks which indicate how well a device’s browser cope with certain important aspects of Internet such as HTML5 and JavaScript. The iPhone 5s absolutely tears through all of the benchmarks, making the Samsung Galaxy S4 look slightly like a phone that exists slightly behind the times.

But even though the Galaxy S4 lagged behind in the benchmarks (the HTML5 test was particularly shocking), it does well in real world usage tests. Whilst loading up a collection of websites, the S4 either slightly beat out the iPhone 5s, or was slightly behind in our test, as you can see in the video demonstration above.

We seem to have come to a block in how fast a smartphone can get – at least when you’re purely talking about Web-based performance – and I’m extremely excited to see what the next big thing will be.

Sauce:

http://www.redmondpi...eed-test-video/

#168 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:03

On 4.2.2?

#169 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,680 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:33

Not even close. :p

#170 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,680 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:35

After clearing the cache and cookies data on both the handsets, we performed a mixture of browser load tests, comparing how fast each phone loaded websites of varying content richness. Also in the video above, you’ll find a collection of browser benchmarks which indicate how well a device’s browser cope with certain important aspects of Internet such as HTML5 and JavaScript. The iPhone 5s absolutely tears through all of the benchmarks, making the Samsung Galaxy S4 look slightly like a phone that exists slightly behind the times.

But even though the Galaxy S4 lagged behind in the benchmarks (the HTML5 test was particularly shocking), it does well in real world usage tests. Whilst loading up a collection of websites, the S4 either slightly beat out the iPhone 5s, or was slightly behind in our test, as you can see in the video demonstration above.

We seem to have come to a block in how fast a smartphone can get – at least when you’re purely talking about Web-based performance – and I’m extremely excited to see what the next big thing will be.

Sauce:

http://www.redmondpi...eed-test-video/

Considering they did those tests on the stock browser, I don't trust them at all. That thing is notoriously junk.

Also, I don't find web speed tests a particularly good measure of the device's speed, just the browsers.

#171 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• 2,586 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:50

Considering they did those tests on the stock browser, I don't trust them at all. That thing is notoriously junk.

Also, I don't find web speed tests a particularly good measure of the device's speed, just the browsers.

Finally someone who gets it. Browser tests..what the...

Someone should build something close to "Sandra" for mobiles that actually tests the full ability of the cores not some webpage loading times and JS loading times.

#172 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 14,319 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:04

Finally someone who gets it. Browser tests..what the...

Someone should build something close to "Sandra" for mobiles that actually tests the full ability of the cores not some webpage loading times and JS loading times.

Oh yeah I completely agree,  my point was how useless the benchmarks were considering the S4 actually beat the 5s in some scenarios, despite of it "slaughtering" bench marks.

#173 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 6,990 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:07

I haven't read through most of the thread, but wasn't the Geekbench numbers a bit fudged because of the dedicated crypto acceleration on the 5S?

#174 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,978 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 26 September 2013 - 17:26

Not even close. :p

I knew what phone you had by the battery icon. I'm a little ashamed  :rofl:

#175 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,680 posts