Microsoft: Stand the Xbox One any way you like, as long as it's flat

I have to agree, I'm pretty sure it was supported to have the 360 standing vertical however my GoW disk was shredded and the only reason I could come up with was because of this. I changed it to horizontal and have never had an issue since, coincidence? maybe but id rather not take the chance.

I think your only adding to my point that car analogies are silly :p Maybe I am too curious for my own good but if someone tells me I can't do something with my more expensive console choice, when it seemingly hasn't been a problem in the past nor a problem with the competitors I want to know why. It's not a deal breaker because I always planned to store it that way. 

Like I said above in reply to Trooper, I suspect they have tested and found issues. Maybe they have a different stance but the software company I work for would never say Don't do something if they hadn't tested it or had good reason to. We love to use the good old "we haven't tested that scenario so feel free to do it, however as it's not tested and you find issues then we will ask you to go back to the 'recommended' configuration".

Lol i get it.  Its just Im not the kinda person that is curious over things i deem small.  I never thought of a console standing on its side as a feature.   You could go crazy  about that kinda stuff.  I am sure there are lots of things ps4 is not doing that other consoles have done.   Its their product though. Buy the one that has what you need or atleast most of it.

It has no feets to stand on on the side, you'd be blocking up the air vents on that side.

Why would the design it to stand on its side? It's not how they intended it, from A to B it was designed as a horizontal console.

If you where to design something for every possibility, it'd never be done. If the programmers at your work went to a decent school they'd tell you about something I don't actually have an English word for, but can loosely be translated at "limiting" though that's wrong as well. Which is a process you do at least once towards the end of a project, when you decide what features you can realistically keep by the "launch" date.

Similarly at the start of a project you set a whole other lists of stuff you would like, and decide which ones you can't easily realistically do, which ones are important and which ones don't matter. Horizontal placement never made they design list.

As I said you can't do everything, if they where to support vertical. They would have to add big feet on the "side" to allow the fan to suck in enough air when vertical, even then you reduce airflow massively. This ruins the design and causes a less efficient design, then they would have to spend a lot more resources testing. As every test they did horizontal they would have to do vertical. Effectively doubling the QnA budget.

Also let me guess, at this job, you're not a coder, project leader or QnA ? Possibly deployment or support

Things like your first sentence are the type of things I would like to know and would explain it, because of airflow design which is arguably a million times more important. To be honest that one sentence and half the replies in this thread wouldn't happen. His statement is just so woolly and makes it sound like it's an after thought rather than a design decision.

I understand exactly what you mean with the "limiting" comment, and understand why it exists, but I have to say that sometimes the "design" decisions are just damn right thoughtless and they know it, I used to work in support and then deployment but now actually am employed to support the developers themselves when it comes to R&D on new features, keeping their virtual environments up and running, document changes, training the support and deployment teams etc etc. One of the reasons I now work closer with them is because thankfully I have helped them spot potential flaws in their spec documents through nothing more than just the real world experience.

Thoughtless and bad designs are why programmers should never be responsible for GUI design, it leaves you with terrible GUI that are entirely logical, if you coded the damn thing, but a wild forest for anyone else.

Similarity they should never be the primary people responsible for planning the functions and such of the app. It actually a separate class in most school doing development, but they should be part of it to say what can be done what can't be done and what can technically be done better but never leave them in charge :)

off/on topic

you don't see people taking todays PCs/towers and lay them flat. (hint there designed not to) (unless you buy case that designed to lay flat)
so why would you take a console that's deigned to lay flat and play it up right like a PC tower.?

Out of question how many took there n64, PSX, Dream Cast and Original Xbox and stood them up? (or any console before Ps2/Xbox360/Ps3?)

Couldn't it just be that because of airflow they designed it so that it could only be positioned in a horizontal way.

And because of that decision they build in a drive that is only usable in that same position.

I'm just guessing here but there must be a difference in drives that can be used in only a horizontal position and those that can be used in both?

Could it be this simple?

Couldn't it just be that because of airflow they designed it so that it could only be positioned in a horizontal way.

And because of that decision they build in a drive that is only usable in that same position.

I'm just guessing here but there must be a difference in drives that can be used in only a horizontal position and those that can be used in both?

Could it be this simple?

It is that simple and I even mentioned it earlier in this thread. Standard disc drives can't just be turned on their side - they'll likely scratch up your disc if you do that. Microsoft clearly just made the decision not to go with a drive that allows being turned on its side and they're letting people know it now. Only one person here is pretending like that means they used the cheapest of cheap parts implying the drive is going to be crap somehow.

This is like laying your desktop PC on its side and complaining about your discs getting scratched. If its not designed from a requirements perspective as a vertically standing console then ofcourse they're going to make this remark. Like me and pretty much most people in the world, this will be laid flat on my TV stand.

Do we need a 5 page thread debating whether a slot-loading drive can support vertical? No. 

• Like 3

When was the last time you saw a VCR? :p

At my mom's holding up car parts in the garage! 

and this is what I think aboout the whole argument about the xbox's orientation:

post-361542-0-04668500-1379854086.png

i would suspect it was either blue-ray drive or the HDD, that would actually warrant the no-vertical warning.
Probably the XB1 casing are not griping/holding that device firmly enough, when it placed vertically.

That might spell trouble when transporting the xb1 vertically, or like how it was stored in storehouse, or how it placed in shop window.

If sign like this are appear in x-box-1'box, it might be true:

Caution-This-Side-Up-Label-D1463.gif