windows 8 warning for old games.

I putting every where because maybe some will get microsoft to fix the problem.

microsoft broke compatibility with any game that uses directdraw. they recoded it to run those game in hardware mode on software emulation mode. sounds stupid.

so thats basicly anygame that uses directx 1 to 7

in windows 7 these games got 100+fps

in windows 8 they get 11 to 20fps

its not hardware issue, so I dont need to list my hardware. its a 2012 build.

some dev and other people are noticing this problem as well. but I doubt microsoft will fix it

• Like 3

I see no reason to fix this. DX1-7 are very old and are long past their EoL. I'm more surprised a game running that old of a DirectX version even installs.  You can't support everything forever. 

If the game was any good, look for community patches & DirectX/OpenGL wrappers/renderers for them.

I have/have had the following games that are "broken" out of the box working at their full FPS on Windows 8 x64:

• StarWars Supremacy
  • Planescape Torment
  • Theme Hospital
  • Abe's Oddysee
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Metal Gear Solid Special Missions
  • Croc: Legend of the gobbos
  • Carmageddon
  • Carmageddon 2: Carpocylpse Now
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Red Faction
  • Soul Reaver
  • Soul Reaver 2
  • Blood Omen 2
  • Legacy Of Kain Defiance
  • Half Life (non steam)
  • Blue Shift (non steam)
  • Maxis Pinball
  • GTA: Vice City
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Shadow Warrior
  • American Magee's Alice
  • Flatout
  • Need For Speed III - Hot Pursuit

I'm not including DosBox versions in this list either.

Spend some time on it and you'll get it working again.

• Like 2

I've been playing quite a lot of older games on my Windows 8 laptop and sometimes you need to do some research into getting them to run stable, you had to do this in Windows XP for a lot of them. Carmageddon 2 springs to mind.

Its also one of the many reasons why VirtualBox exists. :)

I know..  I have copies so I can install on old PC for kids if i plan to have kids someday... so I wouldn't worry about the kids screwing my pc up.  :)   they could play offline until they reach certain age so I can allow them to get online and do whatever they want.

• Like 2

I know..  I have copies so I can install on old PC for kids if i plan to have kids someday... so I wouldn't worry about the kids screwing my pc up.  :)   they could play offline until they reach certain age so I can allow them to get online and do whatever they want.

Smart idea!

Abe's Oddysee (Steam version) works fine for me on Windows 8. So should Half-Life, Blue-Shift, and Unreal Tournament if you run them in OpenGL mode (which for those games work better in OpenGL mode anyway)

in windows 7 these games got 100+fps

in windows 8 they get 11 to 20fps

its not hardware issue, so I dont need to list my hardware. its a 2012 build.

This sucks. I'm not necessarily interested by the latest and greatest game, more games that are part of history.

One more reason to bash win 8.

• Like 2

The only thing that is really cool on windows is gaming.If MS make gaming worse, I might end using linux more

good for you but how does that even make sense in this thread? there are tons of work arounds to get these ancient games working, and to be honest there is no reason to support dx7 and below. again im asking you with a straight face how this could make gaming worse?

This sucks. I'm not necessarily interested by the latest and greatest game, more games that are part of history.

One more reason to bash win 8.

not a valid reason to "bash" windows 8, load up a virtual box or find a work around but to bash windows 8 because 10 year old+ games arent working is pretty lame

not a valid reason to "bash" windows 8, load up a virtual box or find a work around but to bash windows 8 because 10 year old+ games arent working is pretty lame

It won't run fast on a virtual box. Sorry I find sad that games that could be considered as "classics" in their time, could be completely abandoned.

It won't run fast on a virtual box. Sorry I find sad that games that could be considered as "classics" in their time, could be completely abandoned.

name the game please, as if its really that old and unsupported it should be fine in a VM. im sorry you find it sad, but you must not understand how and why technology works, otherwise you would easily see why MS doesnt support these "classics."

That's called reality, gotta move on to bigger and better eventually

Well, I  was happy to play zelda OOT, for the first time in an emulator. It's not a DX7  based game,  but this is just to state , that old stuff can still be enjoyable today; regardless of "how better" is recent technology . I tend in fact to prefer emulators to true game installs.

@Circaflex

you must not understand how and why technology works

Games are for the fun, and part of the past fun would be lost. That's it.

An advancement in technology shouldn't mean we prevent existing technologies from working.

It's not future thinking, it's simply lazy coding. It's not that hard to implement a few legacy calls to allow old DirectX techs to continue working... [Hint : Alchemy]

I wonder if the 3D companies will now make a wrapper to allow older games to work? :p

• Like 3

Well, I  was happy to play zelda OOT, for the first time in an emulator. It's not a DX7  based game,  but this is just to state , that old stuff can still be enjoyable today; regardless of "how better" is recent technology . I tend in fact to prefer emulators to true game installs.

@Circaflex

Games are for the fun, and part of the past fun would be lost. That's it.

you arent making any sense to be honest, but you cannot bash windows 8 over emulator performace, do you understand how emulators work and what they do?

I wonder if the 3D companies will now make a wrapper to allow older games to work? :p

They'd rather resell them.

you arent making any sense to be honest, but you cannot bash windows 8 over emulator performace, do you understand how emulators work and what they do?

That was not my point. If I enjoyed some old emulated games, I might enjoy some old DX7 games as well.

But the oldest pc games I've played recently, is tomb raider anniversary, which seems DX9.

• Like 1