iOS 7 bricking phones?

Just a quick question as I'm writing from my phone, but are there reports of iOS 7 breaking iphones? I've had at least three friends that tried updating. It appears to update, but when it goes to restart it just sits there showing the Apple logo for a bit before going black and restarting (showing the Apple logo again).

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

Not necessarily bricking. I've seen it before on a handful of phones that were upgraded poorly before or jailbroken and un jailbroken, etc. I've done it myself and noticed the same thing. For those phones to boot up correctly, hold down the lock button and home button until the phone turns off, leave it for a minute and turn it back on. Should boot right up.

Well sadly that doesn't appear to have worked. One of my friends that had an issue fixed it with a factory restore, although the friend that I'm helping right now says that the computer doesn't recognise his phone. -_-

Edit: Ah, he jailbroke his phone some time ago. Does that cause an issue? I thought that previous updates just removed the jailbreak rather than buggering the phone. ..

Well sadly that doesn't appear to have worked. One of my friends that had an issue fixed it with a factory restore, although the friend that I'm helping right now says that the computer doesn't recognise his phone. -_-

Edit: Ah, he jailbroke his phone some time ago. Does that cause an issue? I thought that previous updates just removed the jailbreak rather than buggering the phone. ..

Depending on the jailbreak, how it was, blah blah blah. Its ALWAYS recommended to DFU Restore when upgrading/downgrading/etc

you might need to take his phone to another computer. back when i was first messing with jailbreaking i soft bricked my ipod touch a few times and a couple times my computer itself bugged up so it wouldn't detect the device but my sister's computer would detect it just fine so i could restore (and after the restore both computers detected it again)

and yeah, DFU mode is your friend when you need to do a restore

I had the same issue on my iPad and a friends iPhone, and both was because it was a jailbroken device. I had to do a factory reset on both devices and it worked fine. I have also seen it posted that others are having the same issue due to jailbroken devices. 

I do not own one however, i have been helping people upgrade and had upgraded a few with the GM build last week here are my results

iPhone 4

• 2 Success
  • 3 Fail (device wont boot, device cannot be recognized by a computer to restore, device wiped to fresh for no reason)

iPhone 4s

• 5 Success
  • 0 Fail

iPhone 5

• 2 Success
  • 1 Fail (unable to restore data to phone, and keyboard not loading on some apps) *might be app related*

iPad 2

• 1 Success

This happened to my sister's iPhone 4S. She had to do a complete reset of her phone, and lost everything including her contacts.

This happened to my sister's iPhone 4S. She had to do a complete reset of her phone, and lost everything including her contacts.

No reason to if iCloud was set up. If iCloud wasnt set up then Google Sync can be set up.

Since iOS 4, no user, even the non tech informed consumers, can complain about losing something as SIMPLE as contacts. It is all backed up

• Like 2

No reason to if iCloud was set up. If iCloud wasnt set up then Google Sync can be set up.

Since iOS 4, no user, even the non tech informed consumers, can complain about losing something as SIMPLE as contacts. It is all backed up

She doesn't know anything about phones really so it probably wasn't set up. I guess she probably took the chance that an Apple product would be a bit more robust than that.

My girlfriends' iPhone backed up, partially installed, failed 1/2 way through, and then did it again. It backed up a failed install, installed iOS 7, and then restored from a failed install. She's missing a few apps now, but her phone didn't brick.

Only time my phone was "bricked" was during the first few hours after iOS 7 when the activation servers were overwhelmed with traffic. Otherwise, no problems on my end.

With DFU restore available it's next to impossible to fully brick an iDevice save for physical damage.

She doesn't know anything about phones really so it probably wasn't set up. I guess she probably took the chance that an Apple product would be a bit more robust than that.

Seeing how it walks you through it, it is more robust. Cant expect software to do EVERYTHING for a user, also users would complain a LOT more if software assumed you wanted features on and turned them on.

Seeing how it walks you through it, it is more robust. Cant expect software to do EVERYTHING for a user, also users would complain a LOT more if software assumed you wanted features on and turned them on.

That's not really relevant, software still shouldn't brick a user's device. The fault lies with Apple, not her.

Why the hell are they making people activate software upgrades anyway?

That's not really relevant, software still shouldn't brick a user's device. The fault lies with Apple, not her.

Why the hell are they making people activate software upgrades anyway?

I thought it didnt brick her device if I remember correctly? I thought she lost her contacts?

And good question, ask them.