iOS 7 bricking phones?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 20 September 2013 - 15:45

Just a quick question as I'm writing from my phone, but are there reports of iOS 7 breaking iphones? I've had at least three friends that tried updating. It appears to update, but when it goes to restart it just sits there showing the Apple logo for a bit before going black and restarting (showing the Apple logo again).

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

#2 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 20 September 2013 - 15:49

Not necessarily bricking. I've seen it before on a handful of phones that were upgraded poorly before or jailbroken and un jailbroken, etc. I've done it myself and noticed the same thing. For those phones to boot up correctly, hold down the lock button and home button until the phone turns off, leave it for a minute and turn it back on. Should boot right up.

#3 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 September 2013 - 15:55

No one I know who's upgraded has had any issues (including myself)...but then no one I know has jailbroken their phone...

#4 OP Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 20 September 2013 - 15:58

Well sadly that doesn't appear to have worked. One of my friends that had an issue fixed it with a factory restore, although the friend that I'm helping right now says that the computer doesn't recognise his phone. -_-

Edit: Ah, he jailbroke his phone some time ago. Does that cause an issue? I thought that previous updates just removed the jailbreak rather than buggering the phone. ..

#5 KeR

KeR

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 September 2013 - 16:03

Mine was jailbroken and I updated without any issues.

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 16:08

Can you try putting the phone into DMF (recovery) mode. Then try the upgrade again via iTunes.

#7 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

Posted 20 September 2013 - 16:10

Well sadly that doesn't appear to have worked. One of my friends that had an issue fixed it with a factory restore, although the friend that I'm helping right now says that the computer doesn't recognise his phone. -_-

Edit: Ah, he jailbroke his phone some time ago. Does that cause an issue? I thought that previous updates just removed the jailbreak rather than buggering the phone. ..

Depending on the jailbreak, how it was, blah blah blah. Its ALWAYS recommended to DFU Restore when upgrading/downgrading/etc

#8 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 20 September 2013 - 16:14

you might need to take his phone to another computer. back when i was first messing with jailbreaking i soft bricked my ipod touch a few times and a couple times my computer itself bugged up so it wouldn't detect the device but my sister's computer would detect it just fine so i could restore (and after the restore both computers detected it again)

and yeah, DFU mode is your friend when you need to do a restore

#9 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 20 September 2013 - 18:39

I had the same issue on my iPad and a friends iPhone, and both was because it was a jailbroken device. I had to do a factory reset on both devices and it worked fine. I have also seen it posted that others are having the same issue due to jailbroken devices. 

#10 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 20 September 2013 - 18:49

I do not own one however, i have been helping people upgrade and had upgraded a few with the GM build last week here are my results

iPhone 4

• 2 Success
  • 3 Fail (device wont boot, device cannot be recognized by a computer to restore, device wiped to fresh for no reason)

iPhone 4s

• 5 Success
  • 0 Fail

iPhone 5

• 2 Success
  • 1 Fail (unable to restore data to phone, and keyboard not loading on some apps) *might be app related*

iPad 2

• 1 Success

#11 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 21 September 2013 - 14:15

This happened to my sister's iPhone 4S. She had to do a complete reset of her phone, and lost everything including her contacts.

#12 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:00

This happened to my sister's iPhone 4S. She had to do a complete reset of her phone, and lost everything including her contacts.

No reason to if iCloud was set up. If iCloud wasnt set up then Google Sync can be set up.

Since iOS 4, no user, even the non tech informed consumers, can complain about losing something as SIMPLE as contacts. It is all backed up

#13 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:20

Mine and my daughters 5's upgraded without a hitch, her boyfriends 4S had no issues either.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 22 September 2013 - 14:17

No reason to if iCloud was set up. If iCloud wasnt set up then Google Sync can be set up.

Since iOS 4, no user, even the non tech informed consumers, can complain about losing something as SIMPLE as contacts. It is all backed up

She doesn't know anything about phones really so it probably wasn't set up. I guess she probably took the chance that an Apple product would be a bit more robust than that.

#15 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 15:09

It's just like any OS upgrade really. A clean install is always less problematic and recommended.