Here

touchscreen.jpg?w=618

With occasionally unreliable autocorrect software and periodically clumsy fingers, typing on a virtual keyboard has never been easy. Take these issues and couple them with slow response time, and it?s no wonder so many of our text messages end up riddled with errors. Cloud gaming company Agawi wanted to know which phones responded the fastest, and so the company set up a series of benchmarks (called TouchMarks) to measure touch responsiveness.

The first study measured the Minimum App Response Time (MART) on the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, Galaxy S4, Lumia 928, HTC One and Moto X. The three Android devices and the Windows Phone all had a MART between 114-123 milliseconds, whereas Apple?s iPhone 4S came in at 85 milliseconds and the iPhone 5 took just 55 milliseconds to respond. In other words, the iPhone 5 is more than twice as responsive as the newest Android and Windows Phone devices.

Agawi notes that several factors could come into play when testing latency, such as touchscreen hardware and different methods of coding. Regardless, the iPhone is likely the most responsive phone on the market, although with so much new hardware on the way from every phone company around the globe, the margin may start shrink soon.

iphone-android-typing-comparison.png?w=9

Worst smartphone to type on = LG Optimus S....  it drove me nuts and drove me to throw it across the room a few times.

• Like 1

I just like typing by using swype or trace typing, it's so easy i can type a message holding my phone in one hand and tracing my thumb around the keyboard.

is it true that ios 7 still doesn't have trace typing?!?   i'll give up a few milliseconds to be able to use swype

i have many Android phones and tablets, and by far its drastically easier to text on the iphone 4 i also have. Aside from the smoothness of typing,  IOS corrects almost 99% of all my typing errors while the android spell checker is just plain handicapped.

This is true. I had to stop using SwiftKey because all the time I "saved" by using less keystrokes would be wasted on waiting for several seconds for the keyboard to pop up. So annoying. I now use stock keyboard and even that will lock up every now and then.

I find it far easier to type on the large screen on my Note 2 than on the tiny little iPhone screens. iPhone might be better then a similarly sized Android phone but they don't make them that tiny anymore.

Yeah, it's not harder to type on Android at all, it's just harder for people who have had an iPhone and are used to an iPhone. I'd be willing to bet I type faster on my Android than 99% of people do on their iPhone.

This is true. I had to stop using SwiftKey because all the time I "saved" by using less keystrokes would be wasted on waiting for several seconds for the keyboard to pop up. So annoying. I now use stock keyboard and even that will lock up every now and then.

That has nothing to do with the topic. :laugh:

• Like 2

Yeah, it's not harder to type on Android at all, it's just harder for people who have had an iPhone and are used to an iPhone. I'd be willing to bet I type faster on my Android than 99% of people do on their iPhone.

I'll take that bet :D  I'm used to my iPhone 5 keyboard so much people can't believe how fast I type.

I'll take that bet :D  I'm used to my iPhone 5 keyboard so much people can't believe how fast I type.

You're one of those damn 1%ers aren't you? :laugh:

People can't believe how fast I am on my virtual keyboard either... but this is the new BB Z10 one, and it's actually amazing. I'd love to see it compared to these in this graph.

Does this take into account iOs annoying autocorrect? If not then all the latency numbers in the world don't mean much. Windows phone and android are much better overall.

that has nothing to do with this though. 

Does this take into account iOs annoying autocorrect? If not then all the latency numbers in the world don't mean much. Windows phone and android are much better overall.

Android is only better if you use swiftkey. otherwise it's auto correct is more horrible than ios on a bad day on a bad week on a bad month on a bad year. 

While I don't have any experience with the iphone, the ipad drives me nuts though. frequently it doesn't register clicks, and the spacebar is missed half the time. 

I find it odd that they didn't say what keyboard they were using on those Android devices.  There are multiples out there and every shipping device seems to have a different one and I'd be willing to bet some of them run faster than others.

Android is only better if you use swiftkey. otherwise it's auto correct is more horrible than ios on a bad day on a bad week on a bad month on a bad year. 

While I don't have any experience with the iphone, the ipad drives me nuts though. frequently it doesn't register clicks, and the spacebar is missed half the time. 

I really hate those "android is only better when you customize it" facts, if its really like that then it's terrible system and it should die.

I find it odd that they didn't say what keyboard they were using on those Android devices.  There are multiples out there and every shipping device seems to have a different one and I'd be willing to bet some of them run faster than others.

Absolutely. To be mostly fair, they should use the stock AOSP keyboard which is very responsive and very nice to type on. It's second only to Swiftkey in my opinion. If they use the OEM keyboards several of those are absolutely awful.

I really hate those "android is only better when you customize it" facts, if its really like that then it's terrible system and it should die.

It's actually better when you don't customize it, as in AOSP over Touchwiz or Sense or that junk. But Android is better because you CAN customize it, not because you have to.

• Like 3

i just use the stock keyboard on the s3, and the trace type works perfectly.  it even learns the words i use after 2 or 3 times that i choose them.  (like i choose Yea from the auto-correct, instead of Yes, and now when i trace the Y-E-A it just puts Yea now)

for me, tracing the Y-E-A instead of tapping each letter makes up for the milliseconds that this article is talking about

I find it odd that they didn't say what keyboard they were using on those Android devices.  There are multiples out there and every shipping device seems to have a different one and I'd be willing to bet some of them run faster than others.

Why ? this has nothing to do with the keyboard software. 

in case you didn't know... auto-correct can be turned off.

I have no problems with typing on either android or ios.

Lol yeah, some people use auto-correct and auto-replace, that's just nuts :laugh:

i just use the stock keyboard on the s3, and the trace type works perfectly.  it even learns the words i use after 2 or 3 times that i choose them.  (like i choose Yea from the auto-correct, instead of Yes, and now when i trace the Y-E-A it just puts Yea now)

for me, tracing the Y-E-A instead of tapping each letter makes up for the milliseconds that this article is talking about

Yup! Swype ftw!

Why ? this has nothing to do with the keyboard software. 

According to the article itself, it does.

Agawi notes that several factors could come into play when testing latency, such as touchscreen hardware and different methods of coding. Regardless, the iPhone is likely the most responsive phone on the market, although with so much new hardware on the way from every phone company around the globe, the margin may start shrink soon.