Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mindovermaster

Sound.. Gone?

6 posts in this topic

I recently opened JR Media Jukebox in Wine, and played some tunes, then nothing else gave sound, VLC, Movie Player, even youtube and games. It's just like, it turned off. I look at volume options, and all was the same way I left it. So, I thought a restart would fix it. Nope. There's something I need to do, I know it, sometimes it just... works....

Edit: Oh, I had it using HDA Intel PCH (Alsa Mixer)

Just using Gnome for now.... But still, why?

I had similar issues with Ububtu 13.04, so ditched it to LTS.

I think you didn't mention the distro you are using, did you?

Wine sets up a bridge to ALSA (or PulseAudio if that is available) for the applications running under it to use transparently. Effectively Wine gives those applications complete control over the audio settings for the current user. Since those applications are not aware of this bridge they sometimes unintentionally make changes that are not represented by controls in your graphical audio control center (in this case GNOME's audio applet). Unfortunately this behavior is usually triggered by bugs in Wine (or bugs in the programs triggered by technically-correct behavior in the Wine ABI) and cannot be avoided short of not running the aforementioned programs.

Given the scenario above the easiest way to restore your audio stack to a working state is probably to reset your ALSA (or PulseAudio) settings. Since it is likely that you are using PulseAudio if you are running a relatively modern Linux distro, you can reset those settings for the current user as follows:

sudo service pulseaudio stop
rm -rf /tmp/pulse* ~/.pulse*
sudo reboot

I think you didn't mention the distro you are using, did you?

Sorry, thought I had Debian Wheezy in my sig. Need to fix that.

Thanks, Orange, that helped :)