I would remind anyone that is looking to get an X1 has a chance to win one for free among other prizes if you can win one of the KI tournaments being held at all of the MS Stores around the country and I assume outside the US as well. It takes place the night before launch, so 11/21, tomorrow.

So if you live near a store and want to give it a try, I would suggest calling them and confirming that they are participating. I'm pretty sure its all of them, but some may be left out and find out when it starts tomorrow. I do know it will be a single elimination tournament.

• 3 weeks later...

However, when I was a kid.. the console/games remains 100% the same until the next revision of the console OR the game was re-released as a collectors edition.. there were no day 1 patches, or it will come in a few months.  

And there were no buggy games then? 

And there were no buggy games then? 

I didn't say that there wasn't.  However, back then bugs where usually patched BEFORE it was put onto disk and sold off the shelf.  Not as a day one patch.

I didn't say that there wasn't.  However, back then bugs where usually patched BEFORE it was put onto disk and sold off the shelf.  Not as a day one patch.

But they also released newer versions too. You just didn't know because there was no patch for older versions.

Well, there are always bugs in a video game, and lots of them get fixed before release. That's still happening today. I think the question is whether the option of delivering critical fixes via patches causes developers to postpone certain bugfixes due to that more flexible schedule, and perhaps the answer is yes, but also overall I think gamers have less tolerance for bugs and an expectation that they will be fixed more quickly than before, and that's a good thing. Back in the days, if your game was buggy it was pretty much buggy forever.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things that makes League of Legends so popular (and profitable) is Riot?s weekly rotating champion roster. It keeps things fresh, and entices people to come back for different experiences. Now, Microsoft and Double Helix are doing something similar with Killer Instinct.

Jago, who has been the free character since the title?s launch on November 22, is now behind the paywall. Sabrewulf has stepped in though, and you can sample him now without paying a dime.

The free character rotation is part of a significant patch rolled out on the evening of January 2. In addition to the Sabrewulf swap, Xbox Live Gold is no longer required to view the leaderboard, a number of fixes have been implemented that deal with save games and login problems, and the fifth character color will no unlock properly.

You can read the full patch note in the Double Helix forums. For more on Killer Instinct, check outour review.

[source: Double Helix via CVG]

Our Take

While Killer Instinct doesn?t have the roster of a MOBA, rotating the free character is the smart choice. More characters to experiment with will give players a chance to decide if opening their wallets is the right decision. 

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/03/microsoft-rotates-killer-instinct-free-character_2c00_-sabrewulf-available-.aspx

So if you have Jago first included is he still "unlocked" for the people that downloaded the game earlier or do you get swapped to the new ones each time?

So if you have Jago first included is he still "unlocked" for the people that downloaded the game earlier or do you get swapped to the new ones each time?

I believe you get swapped to the new ones. When you download the update for the game, it changes the character available.

so i'm confused...i don't think mine has updated...i've still got Jago and no Sabrewulf...wtf?

is there any way to force this thing to look for an update?

so i'm confused...i don't think mine has updated...i've still got Jago and no Sabrewulf...wtf?

is there any way to force this thing to look for an update?

It should be automatic. I assume the patch does not go out to all users at the same time, its staggered, but I would think it would be out to everyone by now. I got it the day after it was announced. Maybe its a slower roll out.

I haven't really spent too much time with this game. I played for a couple of hours before I went on vacation and it seemed pretty nice. Controls felt good. How is everyone else enjoying it? Is it worth getting all the characters?

I haven't really spent too much time with this game. I played for a couple of hours before I went on vacation and it seemed pretty nice. Controls felt good. How is everyone else enjoying it? Is it worth getting all the characters?

My wife and I have been enjoying it. The update they just put out did make the experience better in a lot of little ways.

As far as if its worth getting the full game, that's hard to say. I suggest looking at videos of the other characters to see if they appeal to you. I like have the variety of the roster and its going to grow over the next couple of months.

Have these style games gotten any better?  I stopped playing them as they got way to repetitive/boring.  Seems every game was the same just different names and different graphics.

Have these style games gotten any better?  I stopped playing them as they got way to repetitive/boring.  Seems every game was the same just different names and different graphics.

I'm not sure what your talking about. Are you asking if fighting games have gotten any better?

Well that's a loaded question. I would say try it out for yourself to find out if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, thought I would update this thread with some new info that was just shared regarding Spinal which is due this month:

A couple more screenshots of him in game and a little talk about what has been mentioned regarding his style.

Sounds like he is going to be a fairly unique character and more in keeping with his old KI style, which was already crazy.

My guess with the way they are doing KI now is even though it was a hot game for us fans it was not really a huge seller back with the last release on N64 when you compare the numbers to those of Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, etc.  So they are probably playing it safe and testing the waters with what they are offering now to see how the general public takes it.  As a fan of the game it would be really nice to have all the characters from previous games available currently but I can understand why some may be delayed as they might still be working on them.  Hopefully Kim Wu, T.J. Combo, Cinder, Chief Thunder, Riptor, Eyedol, Maya, Tusk and Gargos make a return in an upcoming Season.

Though to be honest it seems a little slower and not as advanced as it's Killer Instinct Gold counterpart and appears to be missing blood, sparks, appeared when hitting your opponent.  Not sure why it has been watered down as it's previous ones that have been rated Teen have had blood.  The weird music  syncing with the ultra combos seems a little weird and there does not appear to be the regular hit sounds when doing an ultra combo as it has been replaced with the music being played and skipped to make a weird type of beat in the process.

Overall though it is nice to see it come back in some form maybe if this does good we will get more of the classic feeling added into a release in the future that also incorporates some of the new enhancements and better graphics.

Character swap incoming

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-24-thunder-claps-in-as-killer-instincts-free-character

Think we'll just make this an Official topic to keep everything tidy. These updates seem to be quite frequent.

Wow, that is faster than I thought. I think its good to rotate them on a regular basis though. It keeps it fresh for the online community.

Also, making this the official thread would be great. I try to stick new info in this thread anyway.

Well here it is finally, the Spinal trailer and Fulgor tease:

The music is great imo. I can't wait to try out Spinal. He is going to be a great change of pace compared to the rest of the roster. They made Fulgor look pretty awesome in the teaser as well. His design is definitely an homage to the original design.

I've yet to download the game at all yet and I've missed like 2 characters already :rofl:

Really need to try something other than BF4 when I play my X1 lol. Once you use a stick it's hard to go back to controller though :/

I've yet to download the game at all yet and I've missed like 2 characters already :rofl:

Really need to try something other than BF4 when I play my X1 lol. Once you use a stick it's hard to go back to controller though :/

Yeah, I will be buying a stick as soon as there is another option beyond the madcatz one. In the mean time, the controller works as well as a controller could work for a fighting game. The d-pad makes it a tad less painful.

Since you don't use your X1 much, its a nice free demo to try out when you do use it again.

Yeah, I will be buying a stick as soon as there is another option beyond the madcatz one. In the mean time, the controller works as well as a controller could work for a fighting game. The d-pad makes it a tad less painful.

Since you don't use your X1 much, its a nice free demo to try out when you do use it again.

If the Gamers Hangout can behave itself for a few days I think I will splurge on games this weekend :p. I've not even taken Forza out the plastic yet and that's the game I bought the console for :laugh: What with my Vita arriving tomorrow too, I'll be spoilt for choice what to play. So many games, not enough time :laugh:

I've never been a huge fan of KI (I think I've mentioned that before), and I'm a die hard SF fan, but won't hurt to try it.