virginia physical abuse disciplining social services misdemeanor

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,010 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:29

When is spanking considered physical abuse? A Virginia judge has ruled that Felisha Kimble-Tanks, an Annandale dentist, crossed the line when she left bruises on her 6-year-old daughter's thigh after disciplining her with a belt. The mom is now banned from spanking for two years.

The girl's father, from whom Kimble-Tanks is separated, discovered the bruises in January and filed a complaint with the Stafford County Sheriff's Office. According to the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star, he also said that despite the incident, she was a good mother. Defense lawyer Mark Murphy pointed out to Yahoo Shine that the father made no move to get physical custody of the girl even though it would have been within his rights. He also noted that "the department of social services took no steps to remove the girl from her mother's home."

Prosecutor Tara Mooney initially charged Kimble-Tanks with child cruelty, a felony. On Wednesday, the prosecution reached a deal with Murphy to reduce the charges to a misdemeanor, which will be dropped in two years if she refrains from any type of corporal punishment.

According to Mooney, Kimble-Tanks "crossed the line." She told the Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star, "Leaving bruises on a child that young is abuse," not appropriate discipline. Murphy disagreed and said he had been ready to go to trial if the charges hadn't been reduced and eventually dropped.

more

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:00

Leaving bruises on a child that young is abuse

So it's okay if the child was older?

I always thought my parents did a good job and they left a few bruises on me as I was growing up and I'm fine. You'd think I'd be some sick psycho by now.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,010 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 22:15

^ I thought you were. :p

More seriously, I don't think spanking is ever a good idea.

Lock them in a room, take away favorites, or duct tape their mouth, seems more sensible.

#4 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,823 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 23:58

The Bible encourages spanking

#5 SpeedyTheSnail

SpeedyTheSnail

Neowinian

• 1,466 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:07

The Bible encourages spanking

I thought it encouraged genocide?

I see a divorce happening sometime in the future.

Edit: Unless of course, they are already divorced.

#6 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• 12,721 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:09

wait so after 2 years she can go ahead and spank again?

#7 _-Psycho-_

_-Psycho-_

Oh no

• 177 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:10

It's always abuse, and should be punished every time. You are not allowed to hit an adult, why should you be allowed to hit a child, just because it's yours?

#8 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,620 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:14

What did the Child do? 

#9 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,951 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:16

^ I thought you were. :p

More seriously, I don't think spanking is ever a good idea.

Lock them in a room, take away favorites, or duct tape their mouth, seems more sensible.

And what if the child still misbehave?

#10 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,866 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:29

Ever since spanking went away all we are left with is HORRIBLE children. I mean good god. Look how the children pre 2000's turned out. Now look at them!

Look at a lot of the teenagers, worthless human beings and terrible work ethic! We weren't like that when we had nintendo, sega super nintendo!!

#11 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:29

:rofl:

I think as a child I got spanked exactly once. It was enough to teach me that misbehaving is not something that was in my best interests. If anything kids these days need to be spanked regularly to discourage them from becoming the giant brats most children turn into these days.

#12 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,866 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:36

:rofl:

I think as a child I got spanked exactly once. It was enough to teach me that misbehaving is not something that was in my best interests. If anything kids these days need to be spanked regularly to discourage them from becoming the giant brats most children turn into these days.

I got spanked just once out side a church when I misbehaved. Legend has it, it only took that once. From then on I listened to my parents.

#13 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,823 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 00:52

the purpose of spanking is to instill Fear that can be utilized for Stockholm Syndrome, in smaller scale.

#14 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:04

the purpose of spanking is to instill Fear that can be utilized for Stockholm Syndrome, in smaller scale.

I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but okay.

#15 statm1

statm1

Neowinian

• 952 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:07

As a kid I was spanked on several occasions, even with a old wooden spoon on one or two of those occasions.. I don't think I ever paid attention to whether the spoon left a mark or not.. But, I don't call what I had abuse. But, now that I'm older I would call bruises going to far. You can get your point across without leaving marks!

I was even told a story several times about how my grandmother would make her kids go get a branch off a tree for her to use in spanking them. If they got one that was to small they would have to go get another one and it would be much worse.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!