I was at this event last night at Microsoft Store in Boston. I took some random photos and videos.
Some thoughts and recollections in no particular order:
- There were 3 lines and I was somewhat surprised by the size of the crowd (in a positive way).
- One line each for Controller demo, Killer Instinct and Forza 5.
- Two dudes behind me, one complete xbox fanboy while his friend was clueless about everything (he thought Lumia 925 on display was an iPhone). Their conversation was entertaining while I patiently waited for 20-30mins in the controller line.
- Major Nelson came off as friendly as he is on screen, not terribly shocking given his PR role.
- Somebody from reddit interviewed him: Reddit.
- I thought about asking when can we see Xbox One OS in action but didn't get chance as he was moving all over the store (taking photos with everyone who asked).
- They had 50 day-one pre-orders for sale during the event, saw some folks putting down $50 towards it. I didn't stay for the entite event to know if they sold out or not.
- Controller demo was some app running on Lenovo laptops
- App simulated driving/racing, braking, shooting, rocket launcher, helicoper, heartbeats, bouncing balls, fire from the hand bioshock thing
- Really nice improvement over Xbox 360
- Sticks are smaller but felt as good as ever
- d-pad is better (entire demo was driven with d-pad, A, B and RT only)
- ABXY are slightly closer
- Bumpers and triggers are right next to each other. Transition is easier and smoother
- Battery bump removal felt better. Controller grip is still familiar.
- Rumble triggers are...AWESOME. Every demo basically simulated their use. I think describing it is pointless, you need to feel it.
- I did not wait in line for this but graphics are definitely better (see videos below)
- I thought aliasing was noticeable during gameplay, hopefully they will fix by launch
- It was played using arcade box
- Looked nice graphically
- Didn't spend much time here (not my type )
Forza 5 Menu
Forza 5 Gameplay
Controller demo on a laptop