New Metro Screen

I have to admit - when I moved from Windows 7 to 8, I felt quite detached from the Start Menu like many many others who have felt the separation and wanted to find an alternative. 

I had tried several and found many options in testing things and while nothing quite matched Win 7's except maybe Stardock's I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. Instead, I used Launchy. 

Now that I have jumped over to 8.1 RTM and have played around with the er...umm....Windows Icon, Start Button or whatever you want to call it,

Since they have worked their magic on the Metro screen, I am using that more at least in selecting my programs to launch instead of invoking Launchy or any other method.  For me at least, it has been their moving the program lists "below" the Metro screen where you hit the down arrow now instead of lumping everything together to the right. 

I am still not ready to move to a full Metro experience and leave the desktop, but maybe someday.   :cool:

I have to admit - when I moved from Windows 7 to 8, I felt quite detached from the Start Menu like many many others who have felt the separation and wanted to find an alternative. 

I had tried several and found many options in testing things and while nothing quite matched Win 7's except maybe Stardock's I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. Instead, I used Launchy. 

Now that I have jumped over to 8.1 RTM and have played around with the er...umm....Windows Icon, Start Button or whatever you want to call it,

Since they have worked their magic on the Metro screen, I am using that more at least in selecting my programs to launch instead of invoking Launchy or any other method.  For me at least, it has been their moving the program lists "below" the Metro screen where you hit the down arrow now instead of lumping everything together to the right. 

I am still not ready to move to a full Metro experience and leave the desktop, but maybe someday.   :cool:

If you really want to keep 8... then install Startisback.   Start8 pales in comparison... SIB brings you the closest to 7 without using 7...not sure why you wouldn't use 7 in the first place though.

I can boot to desktop though with Win 8.1 through the settings so no need for that with a third party program. :)

post-160102-0-87476400-1379820918.png

I use Win 7 at work and love it to death, but also am happy with 8 as well.  I've used Windows from 3.1 all the way up, left when It was XP and moved to Mac OSX , fell in love with it's intuitivetness and it's overall GUI, but left about a year ago.  I am not a fanboy of any OS by the way, but for me at least, I don't see the need even for a third party start menu myself. 

About the only thing I miss from the days of Aero is the Aero transparency itself, but that is really a moot issue with me anyway. 

• 4 weeks later...

well its all about amount of exposure, and this is helped by when even the competition starts copying many elements of metro, then it all starts to feel normal,and it isn't a shocking change anymore. it also helps that 8.1 is an excellent upgrade that makes the experience more seamless.