PS3 retail to PS4 digital upgrade requires original disc to play

PS3 retail to PS4 digital upgrade requires original disc to play

Upgrading to the digital version of Assassin?s Creed IV: Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch Dogs or Battlefield 4 on PS4? Then you'll need to remember not to sell the PS3 version.

Sony has revealed that each of the above games on PS3 come with a single use code that can be entered on the PlayStation store for a discounted PS4 version, however for this digital PS4 edition to work the original PS3 disc must be in the drive.

Even though the PS3 versions do not actually work in the PS4, we're guessing that Sony has implemented some code within the disc to allow this to work and therefore combat a huge amount of second hand games from flooding the market.

Check here for detailed instructions on how the upgrade from PS3 disc to PS4 digital will work. There is currently no mention of other titles being upgradable such as FIFA 14.

From Sony:

Step 2: TO DOWNLOAD PS4? VERSION OF GAME:
  • Step 1: On your PS4? system, register the PS4? system with the SEN account through which you redeemed the Code.
  • Step 2: Select the PlayStation?Store icon on the PS4? system home screen.
  • Step 3: Search for the name of the game on PlayStation?Store and select ?Purchase? to download digital version of the same game to your PS4? system hard drive. The discounted price will be deducted from your network wallet according to the Terms of Service and User Agreement.
  • Step 4: Insert the PS3? game disc into your PS4? system**.

**PS3? game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4? system.

Source

I'm hoping PS4 BC solution (aka Streaming) works the same way.

Put in your PS1,2,3 disc, and (if it's supported title) streams. 

So you pay a reduced rate, for the game you already have, and can't sell the original copy. Genius!!

It's pretty much an upgrade for a very low price, perfectly reasonable. They aren't going to give you an extra license on a discount.

So you pay a reduced rate, for the game you already have, and can't sell the original copy. Genius!!

You pay for the Upgrade from PS3 -> PS4 you aren't buying the game again.  You pay 10$ (A VERY Reduced Rate).  It's not like the PS4 version retails for 10$.. it retails for 60$.   You could sell your PS3 one and buy the PS4 one.. or just hold off and buy the ps4 one outright.  Either way it doesn't make sense to do it any other way and be able to offer that discount.

On a slightly related note, this at least means the PS4 can recognize a PS3 disc. I really hope when Gaikai launches if Sony do want to do a Netflix like service, those who own PS3 discs will be able to stream those individual titles for free (or for free if you have plus). As I have a fairly large PS3 library this would suit me, while paying a small amount a month for a Netflix like PS3 library sounds good, it's still an extra cost. I seriously doubt it will ever be part of Plus, but more so another sub that Plus may get a discount on.

On a slightly related note, this at least means the PS4 can recognize a PS3 disc. I really hope when Gaikai launches if Sony do want to do a Netflix like service, those who own PS3 discs will be able to stream those individual titles for free (or for free if you have plus). As I have a fairly large PS3 library this would suit me, while paying a small amount a month for a Netflix like PS3 library sounds good, it's still an extra cost. I seriously doubt it will ever be part of Plus, but more so another sub that Plus may get a discount on.

You expected it not to be able to? it's a standard blu-ray disc, even your pc can recognize it without extra tools.

You expected it not to be able to? it's a standard blu-ray disc, even your pc can recognize it without extra tools.

Just with CELL being removed I didn't know if the console could still recognize the specific game vs just knowing it's a blu ray disc.

makes sense to me. I mean, I remember reading this ps3 to ps4 thing was gonna be just for $10 bucks? makes sense that u still require the original disc then.

you can still sell the disc, you just wont be able to play the game altogether :P

Just with CELL being removed I didn't know if the console could still recognize the specific game vs just knowing it's a blu ray disc.

nah, nothing to do with this. it can't RUN the code inside, but it can know whether it is the specific game and whether it is legit

i really do not see any harm in this as it will prevent people from buy the game and then upgrading for $10 and then selling their copy which would get them a copy of the game for $10.

Yea, it will still recognize the files.  I assume there is some metadata file, or XML Style file with disc info, or data type files it can decrypt and read.   I'm sure it could even process assets, but it won't understand the compiled code unless it were to emulate the instructions.

You pay for the Upgrade from PS3 -> PS4 you aren't buying the game again.  You pay 10$ (A VERY Reduced Rate).  It's not like the PS4 version retails for 10$.. it retails for 60$.   You could sell your PS3 one and buy the PS4 one.. or just hold off and buy the ps4 one outright.  Either way it doesn't make sense to do it any other way and be able to offer that discount.

You missed this part obviously

**PS3? game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4? system.

Anyone that doesn't like the method Sony chose is free to take advantage of the other programs.  Both Amazon and Gamestop have a trade in program where you give them your current gen copy and for $10 you get a next gen copy.

So anyone wanting a physical copy of these games can do so.

Sony's method is slick for anyone that just wants to go digital.  Its cool to know that they can read ps3 discs.  As others have said, maybe they can leverage that to allow people with ps3 games to get access to a streamed copy of that game on the ps4.  You could do the same thing your doing here where that person is required to keep the ps3 disc in the console in order to play the streamed version of the ps4.

I think he was saying if you don't want to pay another $10 you can wait till the PS4 Version of the game comes out and buy that instead.

You misunderstood what I said.. obviously.

I think he was saying if you don't want to pay another $10 you can wait till the PS4 Version of the game comes out and buy that instead.

You however.. did understand :D

Sony's method is slick for anyone that just wants to go digital.  Its cool to know that they can read ps3 discs.  As others have said, maybe they can leverage that to allow people with ps3 games to get access to a streamed copy of that game on the ps4.  You could do the same thing your doing here where that person is required to keep the ps3 disc in the console in order to play the streamed version of the ps4.

Doesn't that just defeat the idea of streaming?

What's the point in going digital / streaming if I need a disc?

Well its Sony's way of preventing you from getting a game for $10 and then also selling your current gen game.  Its the price you have to pay to get the deal. 

It has totally different directions if you purchased the digital version initially. Those directions which require the disk are just if you had the disk based version initially. The point is to prevent abuse/game sharing. Have you ever installed a game on your 360? Still need the disk in if you play it no? Same thing here.

If you are so interested in going digital, get the digital version the first time around. You can still upgrade.

Digital Only:

Step 1: Buy or pre-order* the PS3? digital version of the game from PlayStation?Store or Sony Entertainment Network Store.

Step 2: In PlayStation?Store or Sony Entertainment Network Store, find the PS4? digital version of the game as soon as it becomes available. The special price will be available for accounts who purchased the PS3? Digital version of the game from the PlayStation?Store.

Step 3: Buy or pre-order** the PS4? digital version of the game at the special offer price. See Promotion Restrictions for Each Game.

*PS3? games are available for purchase, and select PS3? games are available for pre-order, from PlayStation?Store on your PS3? system and Sony Entertainment Network Store on the internet.

No.. it's not the same thing.

If you buy the game digitally, or are using it for streaming.. then no disc would be required.  The disc being required is if you buy the game physically but upgrade from PS3 to PS4 online.  This prevents you having to go to the store and trade in your ps3 game for the ps4 one.. but still retaining the piracy prevention.

Also.. if they offer all PS3 games streaming then we don't need discs.. however what they could do.. is if you have a PS3 game.. then that lets you stream the game free or for a reduced price (likely free).  However if you don't have the disc I assume you will need to either pay for the game as a digital purchase or on a per-month netflix style basis.