Photo
ps4 ps3 upgrade game digital requires disc

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:04

You pay for the Upgrade from PS3 -> PS4 you aren't buying the game again.  You pay 10$ (A VERY Reduced Rate).  It's not like the PS4 version retails for 10$.. it retails for 60$.   You could sell your PS3 one and buy the PS4 one.. or just hold off and buy the ps4 one outright.  Either way it doesn't make sense to do it any other way and be able to offer that discount.

You missed this part obviously

**PS3™ game disc required to play digital version of the game on your PS4™ system.

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:11

Anyone that doesn't like the method Sony chose is free to take advantage of the other programs.  Both Amazon and Gamestop have a trade in program where you give them your current gen copy and for $10 you get a next gen copy.

So anyone wanting a physical copy of these games can do so.

Sony's method is slick for anyone that just wants to go digital.  Its cool to know that they can read ps3 discs.  As others have said, maybe they can leverage that to allow people with ps3 games to get access to a streamed copy of that game on the ps4.  You could do the same thing your doing here where that person is required to keep the ps3 disc in the console in order to play the streamed version of the ps4.

#18 +Fractalizer

Fractalizer

Cupcakes!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:19

I think he was saying if you don't want to pay another $10 you can wait till the PS4 Version of the game comes out and buy that instead.

#19 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:22

You misunderstood what I said.. obviously.

I think he was saying if you don't want to pay another $10 you can wait till the PS4 Version of the game comes out and buy that instead.

You however.. did understand :D

#20 OP Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:24

Sony's method is slick for anyone that just wants to go digital.  Its cool to know that they can read ps3 discs.  As others have said, maybe they can leverage that to allow people with ps3 games to get access to a streamed copy of that game on the ps4.  You could do the same thing your doing here where that person is required to keep the ps3 disc in the console in order to play the streamed version of the ps4.

Doesn't that just defeat the idea of streaming?

What's the point in going digital / streaming if I need a disc?

#21 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:32

Well its Sony's way of preventing you from getting a game for $10 and then also selling your current gen game.  Its the price you have to pay to get the deal. 

#22 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy S4

Posted 23 September 2013 - 15:42

It has totally different directions if you purchased the digital version initially. Those directions which require the disk are just if you had the disk based version initially. The point is to prevent abuse/game sharing. Have you ever installed a game on your 360? Still need the disk in if you play it no? Same thing here.

If you are so interested in going digital, get the digital version the first time around. You can still upgrade.

Digital Only:
Step 1: Buy or pre-order* the PS3™ digital version of the game from PlayStation®Store or Sony Entertainment Network Store.
Step 2: In PlayStation®Store or Sony Entertainment Network Store, find the PS4™ digital version of the game as soon as it becomes available. The special price will be available for accounts who purchased the PS3™ Digital version of the game from the PlayStation®Store.
Step 3: Buy or pre-order** the PS4™ digital version of the game at the special offer price. See Promotion Restrictions for Each Game.
*PS3™ games are available for purchase, and select PS3™ games are available for pre-order, from PlayStation®Store on your PS3™ system and Sony Entertainment Network Store on the internet.

#23 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 23 September 2013 - 16:05

No.. it's not the same thing.

If you buy the game digitally, or are using it for streaming.. then no disc would be required.  The disc being required is if you buy the game physically but upgrade from PS3 to PS4 online.  This prevents you having to go to the store and trade in your ps3 game for the ps4 one.. but still retaining the piracy prevention.

Also.. if they offer all PS3 games streaming then we don't need discs.. however what they could do.. is if you have a PS3 game.. then that lets you stream the game free or for a reduced price (likely free).  However if you don't have the disc I assume you will need to either pay for the game as a digital purchase or on a per-month netflix style basis.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!